Author Topic: seaworthy  (Read 2755 times)

Offline sperzonkers2

seaworthy
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »
Hello all just joined this really great form.
I am a novice when it comes to boating in the salt. I bought a B18 Sundance skiff w/90Hp Evenrude e-tec motor last year. I have been fishing in Barnegat bay but I have not ventured out through the inlet. The dealer said I could but would have to pick and choose my days. Can some of you more seasoned captains tell me if I should even go out the inlet with this type of boat? Thanks Much!!
Bill

Offline fishinfool

• Facebook Page
Re: seaworthy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
first off, welcome to the site..

Like always, pick your day.  I am sure on nice days, you will see kayaks and skiffs out in the ocean, so you should have no problem.. IF WEATHER PERMITS YOU.  Just make sure you boat can handle the wake of larger boats as the Barny inlet is one of the most dangerous around this area.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:49:10 PM »
Welcome to the site, Be careful the sea's can
change at any time and it might not be the same coming back.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »
Welcome to the Site Sperz..  I'm not familiar  with your Boat.

I think this is it Yes?

I use to run BI with my 19' center console.  yes you have to pick your days.  but from my experience and to this day.  BI is always throwing something at you.  In my 19 I would tail a larger boat out.  even the past weekend she didn't ease up until I got close to a mile out.  I have seen these skiffs take on the inlet..  I would definitely pic the day.  one wave over the front....  and your having issues.

Again.  Thanks for joining us t^

Offline sperzonkers2

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »
 slt Thanks all for your info. Hodrod, yes that is the boat I have.  I know the BI is one of the most dangerous in the area.
Bill

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »
Along with picking your days, know your skills. If you are a novice, get some experience. Go out with a friend/dockmate in a larger boat and operate the boat if they will allow you to.

A boat is only as safe as the operator. You can have the most sea worthy boat and get in a bunch of trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

Your boat will handle BI with no trouble at all on a good day. Watch the weather carefully when you are out. A shift in the wind direction can reek havoc in BI in a short time.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline sperzonkers2

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
capt Joe, thanks!!! This is why I have not attempted to navigate the inlet. I have had small boats in the past, using them in small freshwater lakes but I am green when it comes to the salt. I would imagine any easterly wind would make BI rough??
Bill

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 02:29:08 PM »
Welcome!  Can't help you with boating, but I can tell you that the advice the boating guys give you is and will be genuine and honest advice to help you and keep you safe at the same time!  Good Luck and safe boating.

TT^

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
Along with picking your days, know your skills. If you are a novice, get some experience. Go out with a friend/dockmate in a larger boat and operate the boat if they will allow you to.

A boat is only as safe as the operator. You can have the most sea worthy boat and get in a bunch of trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

Your boat will handle BI with no trouble at all on a good day. Watch the weather carefully when you are out. A shift in the wind direction can reek havoc in BI in a short time.

whs

Never, I mean never under estimate the Ocean!!

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »
like they said in JAWS... we need a bigger boat..
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
 the #1 thing to watch about barney inlet is wind against tide. thats when it gets sloppy. wind with tide is cake, against it, i have seen 3 and 4' swells just sitting there stacked up tight on one another, not moving anywhere and you gotta take them on.

i belive wind against outgoing is the worse of the 2 evils.

the south side of the inlet is most of the time a smoother ride on the outside of the inlet, but rougher on the inside. granted you can switch sides going through, but you also have the chop in the middle of the inlet, where i have seen 6' breakers from the fierce swells.
All your tuna's are belong to me

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-