Author Topic: 2014 NJSWF Tuna Trip  (Read 97487 times)

Offline bayonne

Re: 2014 NJSWF Tuna Trip
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
that sounds good lets hope its a great crew
been on trips were the crew did squat remember the night striper trip worst crew i ever seen

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »
That's 20% tip. We can do this two ways. If we are unhappy we give them less and refund to everyone or change it to 10% and let everyone give more if they feel they earned it.
I don't really care either way

That's one option Rick. Another is if people don't like it don't go.  They can organize their own trip, make phone calls, collect money and have the thankless job to pull this off.

1) Its standard to build a 20% tip in any trip like this.
2) The Gambler runs a Top Notch operation, with a top notch captain, crew and boat.

I for one just want to say thanks Rick for putting this together.  People don't understand all the work that goes into making the trip happen.

Thanks Kenny for the Blackfish trip.
Thanks Rod and NJSWF crew for the banquet.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »
That's 20% tip. We can do this two ways. If we are unhappy we give them less and refund to everyone or change it to 10% and let everyone give more if they feel they earned it.
I don't really care either wayG

That's one option Rick. Another is if people don't like it don't go.  They can organize their own trip, make phone calls, collect money and have the thankless job to pull this off.

2) The Gambler runs a Top Notch operation, with a top notch captain, crew and boat.

I for one just want to say thanks Rick for putting this together.  People don't understand all the work that goes into making the trip happen.

clp clp
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 09:50:29 PM »

Ah, let's not be so hard on Kevin.  He was just making a suggestion.  I don't think that asking questions, making suggestions or disagreeing with some aspects of a trip is so awful that it should preclude someone from participating.  Everyone's input should be welcome.

And yes Phil, I absolutely agree, there is a lot of work required to organize these trips and then chase people around for half a year trying to collect the money. 

Thank you Rick!   slt

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »

Ah, let's not be so hard on Kevin.  He was just making a suggestion.  I don't think that asking questions, making suggestions or disagreeing with some aspects of a trip is so awful that it should preclude someone from participating.  Everyone's input should be welcome.

And yes Phil, I absolutely agree, there is a lot of work required to organize these trips and then chase people around for half a year trying to collect the money. 

Thank you Rick!   slt

Yes, Thanks Rick.  I for one would not want the headaches associated with the enormous task. And while we are at it,  Thank You Jack for the Whiskey and Yuengling for the beer.   chrz  TT^
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
been on trips were the crew did squat remember the night striper trip worst crew i ever seen
;D   he has a point t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
;D   he has a point t^

I think I missed that trip. :headscra:  When was it?

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04:42 PM »
;D   he has a point t^

That is true, but it also means he has never fished on the Gambler with Captain Bob. I went on a Mud hole wreck trip with them and Captain Bob took 10 of us out 50 miles as he wanted to do a recon trip for the upcoming weekend.  We killed the cod that day and I also discovered that day that fresh cod have parasitic worms in them.     cfzd  5hrug

The Gambler has one of the best Captains, crews and reputations of any boat I have fished on.  

The boat has a 26 foot beam for stability and also has underwater lights built into the hull to attract bait, which will attract the tuna.

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz slt
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:12:58 PM by njbob49 »

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2014, 05:22:05 AM »
I think we will leave it at the 20% and if we get poor service, we have a 5 hour ride home to discuss it and make an adjustment.

Some of you know I have no problem making a point of poor service, but if they work hard for us they should be rewarded for it.

In an e-mail from Capt Bob he said

"A minimum tip of 10% for the deckhands will include fish cleaning and all other services that the mates would typically provide."

I guess I should have mentioned the 20% tip day one, just didn't think of it.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2014, 05:40:45 AM »
I think we will leave it at the 20% and if we get poor service, we have a 5 hour ride home to discuss it and make an adjustment.

Some of you know I have no problem making a point of poor service, but if they work hard for us they should be rewarded for it.

In an e-mail from Capt Bob he said

"A minimum tip of 10% for the deckhands will include fish cleaning and all other services that the mates would typically provide."

I guess I should have mentioned the 20% tip day one, just didn't think of it.

Sounds good Rick,
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:24 AM »
I agree if they work pay them. To me even if the bites slow if the mates are on the rail giving advice, on the ready with bait etc. They are working.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
I say we assume 20% tip.  If they do a bad job donate the difference to NJSWF banquet for next year, or hell just give it to Rick for the troubles of putting this trip together in the first place.  Although if it's the latter I suspect Rick might be hiding the bait and tripping the mates every chance he got  ovrbt  rofla
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
If you charter a 6 pack boat overnight....usually everyone kicks up 100 a person tip for a single deckhand/2nd captain depending on the size of the boat.
I think 75 a head for 3 deckhands to help out is a great thing!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline bayonne

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »
i could swear it was this site that did a night striper trip in not it njhunter we were on the charter on pier one i forget the name but worst trip ever but if im on a trip with a great crew i have no problem with a 20 % tip but if they do squat why should they get a big tip thats about $700 a piece for the three mates i wish i made $200 a day never mind $700

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
You have to keep in mind that the mates will be confined to the vessel for the 24 hours that you guys will be on it AND they will be there before and after the trip. They will probably put in well over the 24 hour trip time.
Break it down to an hourly rate and it doesn't sound so bad.  TT^

But, as was previously said, considering they do a good job. But there is no reason to believe that they won't.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bayonne

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »
i just checked past trips it njhunter and it was the mi-jo both capt and crew was the worst i ever seen rude and could give two shits if anyone caught fish the mates spent most of the night in the cabin i would never step foot on that boat ever

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
i just checked past trips it njhunter and it was the mi-jo both capt and crew was the worst i ever seen rude and could give two shits if anyone caught fish the mates spent most of the night in the cabin i would never step foot on that boat ever

Thanks for that.  Thought I lost a part of my life there.  Good to know I wasn't on that trip after all. t^

;D

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
i could swear it was this site that did a night striper trip in not it njhunter we were on the charter on pier one i forget the name but worst trip ever but if im on a trip with a great crew i have no problem with a 20 % tip but if they do squat why should they get a big tip thats about $700 a piece for the three mates i wish i made $200 a day never mind $700

Plus you have to figure the boat is paying them as well maybe $150..$200 bucks + the $700 tip each...They're not just getting paid by our tips...

It's a pretty healthy tip...They better earn it...

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »
Please stop with the "negative waves."  You guys sounds like a bunch of old wash women with the whining.   rgmn  hhppy

Kelly's Heroes Oddball - Negative Waves

The trip is over 6 months away so just relax and enjoy the thoughts of a tuna trip with great friends.  chrz clp

Tight Lines,
Bob G

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:47 AM »
I agree if they work pay them. To me even if the bites slow if the mates are on the rail giving advice, on the ready with bait etc. They are working.

whs

If they are inside eating shrimp or you have to do their job.

That will reflect the tip.  pcrn
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-