Author Topic: Fluking from the surf  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Mbailey33

Fluking from the surf
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »
So, just had a quick question, that im sure someone will be able to answer....one of those things that has bugged me for a while, but keep forgetting to ask.

Whats the best way to bucktail fluke from the surf?
On a boat, its a no brainer, but in the surf, its tough to jig the bucktail, and i feel like im more or less dragging it along the bottom, not giving it the action it needs, as im practially horizontal with the bucktail. I use a 10ft rod. Any other tips you suds guys have, or bait choices would be appreciated...... I just recently in the last couple of years got into Surf fishing, and really only get to do it a couple of times a year (being that im over in PA)That said, it might be a good thing that im that far from the ocean, as ive found its one of my favorite things to do, and if i lived closer, nothing would get done around here  hhppy,

Thanks  t^

Matt
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:00:09 AM by Mbailey33 »
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: Fluking from the surf
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
2-3ft teaser 12" above the bucktail

couple strips on trimmed up all nice and fluttery

cast like you mean it and erratic retrieve

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
A 7 or 8ft spinning rod appropriate for 1/2 to 2oz metals and bucktails.  A 10ft is gonna get tiring fast and a lighter rod will be easier to work and feel hits.
Like Warren said, a to 2 to 3ft rig with a teaser hook 12 to 18in above the lure.
I like to use an AVA, bucktail, hopkins or deadly dick on the bottom.  If it's a bucktail, I'll tip it with Gulp swimming mullet, gulp shrimp or a mr twister.
The teaser hook can be tied with pink, white, chartuese or left plain.  That hook gets tipped with gulp.  A sandeel teaser can be very productive at times too.
Gulp color, hair color and lure type are dictated by the fish. 
Focus on the cuts and rips in the surf.  Work a spot for 6 or 8 casts fanned out.  If there's no hits, move to the next cut or100ft up the beach.  Rinse and repeat.   Usually a slow to moderate retrieve with a bounce of the rod tip every 3 or 5 turns of the handle.
I think that about covers it.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
Flukin from the surf is one of my favorite summer time activities. Nothing beats wading out up to your waist on a hot day with warm water and catching fish on all sides of you. It really doesn't matter what your bucktail or whatever you are using for a casting weight does cause 9 out of 10 fish will go for the teaser that is dancing just off the bottom. It you really need distance, forget the bucktail altogether and replace it with a bank sinker. However most time you'll find fish right on the edges of the bars waiting from prey to wash over
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:44:25 PM by FishOn »
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-