Author Topic: Question for the Surf guys.  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Question for the Surf guys.
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »
While casting off the beach, I hook the eel through the lip and it flung off.  I had to hook it through the eyes for it to hold during a cast.

My question:

How the hell do you get a clam to stay on the hook when casting????  Especially when you have to use heavy weight to toss it out there.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Question for the Surf guys.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
I've never used the baitbagz, but they look like the way to go.  I don't fish bait much, but when I was younger we used the elastic string and wrapped it around the clam and hook and tied it off.  It seemed to do the trick.

TT^

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
rigging floss, bait bag, or this lol

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
luna salted clams are a bot tougher and stay on ok. I use fresh clams and either put the hook through it a hundred times or use magic thread its the same elastic thread ped was talking about. I have baitbags just havent convinced myself to use them yet. Sometimes Im stuck in my own ways. And the last thing is when you cast try not to whip it  use a long  steady over head cast.  t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »
No problem I try to use fresh clams a all times salted next frozen never ( MUSH ) And as I have said before I use Circle hooks Only And for bass the larger the better. I go thou the Muscle that's the hard part first then the soft pars and what I call the skirt I use to wrap it up. And if you open a clam the right way most will stay intact, And as Al said the salted ones become tough from the salt cure which is shuck clam. pack in kosher salt. it will make its own brine solution. Refrigerate.
The cast also makes a difference a sweeping OVERHEAD cast is best side or jerk and the clam goes one way and the rig another. Then the proper ROD is important a short or stiff rod is no good a 10 Foot med Flex that loads up on the back stroke and when its loaded swing over head no quick motion. Most Fly guys know what I mean about loading a rod. I use a High Low rig mostly in the bay surf and a Bait finder in the Ocean Surf. and use as little weight as possible. My father used a rubber band around the head of a eel to the hook I do not use them. Again like I have said I dead stick when surf fishing.
This may be more then you asked but pick what you can use. Bill

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
I put the hook through what they call the foot part of the clam.  Run the clam up the shaft of the hook through this part and it will stay on longer especially if you pass the hook through the body of the clam as well.

I tried the elastic stuff but I still prefer to use my method.

Hope this helps.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »
While casting off the beach, I hook the eel through the lip and it flung off.  I had to hook it through the eyes for it to hold during a cast.

My question:

How the hell do you get a clam to stay on the hook when casting????  Especially when you have to use heavy weight to toss it out there.

Missed the part about the heavy Weight.
there is no need for any heavy WT other then holding from drifting or being washed in by the waves. This goes to the part of the right Rod that loads up for the cast. a stiff or to short a rod makes for short casts.
I resurrected a Old Penn 11 ft. that I completely rebuilt end to end because it loads up with under 4 OZ Wt plus Bait it is about 40 years old and Hollow Glass,Very Light for That. It its day it was very Costly.Bill 

Offline wimpy

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
After hooking the clam i take the siphon, hook one end ,wrap the clam up then back and hook the end.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
 whs

Offline KnotGivingUp

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
What about the Eel? I also am wondering the best way to rig and cast a 10" eel.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
I started out hooking the eel through one eye and out the other.  I was using 6 oz.  I had a 14' ugly stick with a penn and power pro.  My other rod is a 16', same reel and line.  I got great distance, but the current was still pulling it all the way to one side, and back on the beach. 

I don't normally surf fish, but when I have the kids and can't make it to the boat, I take them to the beach while they run around and I sit with my cigar, trying to catch dinner.  I also dead stick on the beach.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
eels are tough from the surf you cant keep them above the sea floor  as you do on a boat so the tend to wrap up on your line and dig them selves into th sand. I like to use a cork colored float about 8 inches from the hook  hook then through the eyes.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »
Trust me on this one.....Your throwing way to hard....If surf fishing at night the Bass are in the wash feeding...... 90% of all my surf caught fish are in the wash.....Put the bait on the back side of the wave and hold on.

Kayak-1
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »
I usually thread the hook thru the clam 3 times.  And I just use the foot of the clam, not all the extras, it just pulls everything off the hook. I use more of a gentle lob cast when fishing clams.

Like Al said, eels are tough from the surf.  If you don't keep em moving they tend to ball up and wrap around the line.  Better around jetty and retreived slowwwww.  Hook thru the bottom of the jaw and out between the eyes.  

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »
Trust me on this one.....Your throwing way to hard....If surf fishing at night the Bass are in the wash feeding...... 90% of all my surf caught fish are in the wash.....Put the bait on the back side of the wave and hold on.

Kayak-1

Agreed if fishing the ocean, in the back bays ther is no wash t^

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
 whs  TT^ chrz

Offline FishOn

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »
I don't fish eels often. But when I do, I prefer to slowly work them very close to rock piles, bulkheads, and other hard structure.

Stay slimy my friends.  chrz
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-