Author Topic: Why do you fish and how did you get started?  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Why do you fish and how did you get started?
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »
I don’t know why I fish except I remember growing up in the city and it was something to do all day long for a buck. We had a river near our house that we could walk too. My friends and I would collect some bottles and return them for the deposit. When we had a dollar we would go to the bakery and buy a dollars worth of dough and head out to find the big carp of gold fish. Fishing the Passaic River was a tough place to fish and you were always loosing rigs, so you were always looking down as you walked to find something to put in your pocket and use for a sinker.

My dad was very sick when I was growing up and he died when I was 10 and I know he never took me fishing, but a good friend of his would pick me up every Sunday morning and take me to a pond, river or the shore for the day to do some fishing. Just having a grownup taking me to do something I and he liked is what I think made me like fishing.

I took my son fishing as soon as he could hold the rod and now even thou he is at the age now where girls and other things are very important to him, he dose make time for a few trips. The thing I like most about that is I never ask him if he wants to go. He asks me if we can go. As he gets older I think he will continue to fish more.

So for now I fish to get out on the water, meet new people and spend some time with friends and if we catch fish that’s even better.

Take a kid fishing, it works!

Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Re: Why do you fish and how did you get started?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:27:35 AM »
My Dad got me started very early. We would go to ponds for trout and panfish when I was 4 or 5. Also, my grandmother lived in Monmouth Beach so we would often fish Sandy Hook and visit with her after.

Later, at about 10, he bought a 14' Starcraft and we fished the Shrewsbury and Navesink every weekend. In my teens, he upgraded to an 18' Starcraft. He owned this one when he diead at about 65.

Once I got my drivers license, I'd go trout fishing, rent boats on NNJ lakes and hit the head boats whenever I'd scrape together enough money for the fare.

Me and my BIL bought a leaky flat bottom 10'er together when I  was in my early 20's. We upgraded to a 14'er and fished lakes around the state. We got a 17' Aquasport and did a lot more SW fishing.

Long story short...fishing is a big part of who I am.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:28:53 AM by bassnblues »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:33:57 AM »
my grandfather had a passion for fishing and used to fish commercially, so I was born into it.  Once you start anything early in life, it becomes part of your life.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
My dad took me fishing when I was young, maybe 8 or so. We went to the Delaware River on his boat, and fished for herring. I whooped him very badly (beginners luck I guess) and I've been hooked ever since.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »
Grandfather and uncles used to go crabbing alot so started with that. 

My mom would take me to Roosevelt Park and another pond in Edison when I was a wee lad. Dunking worms for some trout, bullheads, and loads of sunnies.  Couple LMB too.

Next would fish for snappers with my uncles while they were crabbing. Think they liked it as I provided bait and left them alone.

Started going out for fluke with a grade school friend and his family on their boat.  Used to catch some pretty nice fluke and biggest accomplishment at the time was an 8# weakfish.

Early teens I would ride my bike down to the pier after school.  Used to catch a few snappers on a snapper-popper, toss some in a crab trab and then fish a few whole.  Caught some bigger blues which turned into more crab bait or gave them to the other locals fishing near me.  Used to get about a dozen jumbo male crabs a trip. Not bad for just one small box trap.

Started fishing on the Sea Pigeon early on as well.  Mom would drop me off and pick me up.  Thankfully a few of the old-salts and mates took me under their wings eventually.  I remember the first time I tried original Spiderwire.  They all thought I was nuts.  I did too when it sawed right through my guides. cfzd

Think this is the oldest pic I have on the computer of me fishing, late teens I think.  Wow, I had hair. hhppy
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »
 Dad didn't fish but my Uncle did. Fished mostly freshwater until I moved down to Forked River.
I like catching and the challenge but I like the freedom of being out on the water.

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
I fish for the fun of it and I fish to be outside and it relaxes me. It doesn't matter how bad my life is going(like now) or how good it is, if I am fishing. IT ALL GOES AWAY!  it just puts my mind at ease and I think of nothing more than feeling that "other" jerk at the end of the line to tug! Like Metallica says "NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!"

As to how I got into fishing, not really sure. My dad GOD REST HIS SOLE!, was a busy working man and my Mom was Handicapped all my life so I didn't have much of a way of childhood fishing experience. Grandparents lived far away and my brother wanted nothing to do with his 'baby' brother. If I have to pinpoint a time and place where my fishing began, it would have to begin with SCOUTS and Mr.Tufarro. Thats the earliest fishing I can remember. When I got my driving license and a car, my friends and I started going to Keansburg pier, when it was free to bring a pole and tackle. We would fish all day long 3-4 times a week and catch buckets full of snappers, bring em home and my friends father would clean em and fry em up for us kids. tellin ya, fried snappers and sprite when your a kid is HEAVEN! :) I then bought a boat when I was 22 and took it as many trips as I could, from lake Hopatcong, Greenwood lake, Skunksville, Round Valley, Spruce run to Whaley lake in NY state, to Wallenpaupack in PA and anywhere in between. throw a few trips on some party boats down "da shore" and thats my fishing life as I know it!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-