Author Topic: Customary Gratuity?  (Read 13982 times)

Offline shizzoizzo7

• Full Member of the Den
Customary Gratuity?
« on: June 15, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »
Hi, I have my first Charter booked for this weekend and am not sure on the tipping. I am seeing 18-20% if they are good but is that 18-20% to the mate? to the captain? both?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
Re: Customary Gratuity?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »
Normally the captain does not get tipped, the mates work for tips depending how good he is will determine his tip. My last charter trip I tipped the mate $40.00 he was on top of everything I needed for 7 hours, plus he cleaned over 180 seabass by himself he deserved it. I would say at least 20 to 25 dollars is a good tip normally.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
 whs  but if its a full charter 6 pack  20%+ of charter is the norm..

Offline shizzoizzo7

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
Thanks guys I'll plan 20% and offering beer.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:11:10 PM »
 ;D t^

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
A good mate and or captain won't drink while taking care of customers.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:40:50 AM »
Uncle Luna has is correct.. If the mate is filleting 180 or more fish, give him more of a tip..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline shizzoizzo7

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »
We ended up with only 1 keeper which the captain fileted. Still gave the guy $100 which was over 20%

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
 t^  Who did you fish with?

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
If you only got 1 fish then they didn't do very much for you. My tip would have reflected
Their efforts. NOT VERY MUCH ! nosmly
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 06:00:57 AM »

I have fished with one of the best charters producing in the area and we only got 1 fish all day.  Capt and Mate still worked hard and were apologetic and not happy about it.  
       I believe the tip should reflect on the mates work ethic.  I've also had tips refused in the past by mates when we had a bad day..
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:29:59 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:19:06 AM »
My tip is normally 20-25% give or take depending on the service. Sometimes if the boat is pulling fish everywhere I expect to tie my own rigs or unhook my own fish they just cant get to everything right away. IF the fishing is slow and the mates are attentive the tip stays in the 20% range, if the fishing is slow and the mates are no where to be found, or in the galley eating all the food you brought some people may tip $1  ovrbt
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
My tip is normally 20-25% give or take depending on the service. Sometimes if the boat is pulling fish everywhere I expect to tie my own rigs or unhook my own fish they just cant get to everything right away. IF the fishing is slow and the mates are attentive the tip stays in the 20% range, if the fishing is slow and the mates are no where to be found, or in the galley eating all the food you brought some people may tip $1  ovrbt

TT^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
I generally give 20% on a normal trip so long as the mates do their job. Which to me means either baiting, landing, untangling, and assisting customers based on the amount of action. But when I lose 2 definite keepers because the mates are slacking off (yes its happened) doing nothing related to the customers, believe that they will not get a tip from me.

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
Oh and if they have to clean up puke from anyone in my party, they get the 100% tip from me. Lol

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:34 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »
The tip should in no way be reflected on the number of fish you catch. If the mates busted their ass for you by, cutting bait, getting rid of tangles, netting fish, answering questions, etc they should be compensated. That being said 20% - 25% is customary. Less if they slack and more if they work their ass off or filet your fish for free.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »
The tip should in no way be reflected on the number of fish you catch. If the mates busted their ass for you by, cutting bait, getting rid of tangles, netting fish, answering questions, etc they should be compensated. That being said 20% - 25% is customary. Less if they slack and more if they work their ass off or filet your fish for free.
I disagree a little bit here.. You tip the mate on his production with the crew.. thats a no brainer.. but if the boat didn't produce, the mate isn't cleaning fish for 2 hours, hence, less work, slightly less tip. 

My last trip.. Caught a ton of fish.. I tipped 30%.. the mate was on top of everything and cleaned more fish then most would want to clean.  Now.. if the trip wasn't a success will little or no catch.. Id tip the 20% if the mate was still good with tangles, etc..

So, the amount of catch in my opinion does reflect the tip, but not to the point of disrespecting the Charter.  If you base your tip by the amount of work the mate does, not having to fillet the fish is like working 1/2 a day.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »
if you are not catching fish, then there won't be much netting or cutting of bait.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
if you are not catching fish, then there won't be much netting or cutting of bait.

Regardless, Nick. If the mates are visible and helping they deserve to be compensated. Fishing is fishing, not catching.

Here's an example. We were all on a HORRIBLE blackfishing trip. The fishing sucked but, so did the mates. They sat inside the cabin and stuffed their faces. We had all given 20% as gratuity. They sucked so bad we they barely got a tip. They didn't deserve one that's for sure.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-