Author Topic: Voyager 10/11  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Loneshark

Voyager 10/11
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:08:53 PM »
 5hrug Sorry for the late report.
Very discouraging to say the least.
Beautiful weather no fish. ???

Left the dock at 5pm arrived at our destination 6 hours later.Had a bunch of boats around us, nice calm water and a moon that did more harm than good.
Lines in the water about 11:30pm.
snag a squid right away and sent it down on a sword rig with a green glow stick.

Nothing was happening all night hardly any squid around and with moon shinning like the sun it was very quiet.
 come sun up we were hoping for the bite to start but it never did.
Capt. decided to troll lines in the water about 7:30, every boat out there was trolling and it was a parking lot. hour later we hook up, nice fat albie,at this point Capt. decides to drift line back out and he starts calling out fish at 120 to 130 feet.
people are using live squid jigged from the night, but know one is getting any run offs,so I decide to put a deen on and send him down with 16 oz of lead,tide is ripping pretty good.
I let him down to 120 feet and 2 mins. later I get hit,but immediately lose the fish, brought back a bare hook,the guy next to me watched what I did and hooked up and caught 1 of 2 albies that we would get for the whole trip.
I congratulate him on his catch and paying attention when it counted,we both laughed but he did says thanks for the tip.

Well this trip was decision making trip for me
if I did good i was going to continue going off shore for tuna,if it turned out like it did,I was not going out any more ever. nosmly

So I hope it turns around for all you younger  and new guys getting into the offshore seen,as for me I am all done with tuna fishing.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems every year I go, less and less fish are caught,they get harder to find and at 600 bucks a pop including gas,tolls and equipment it's a very expensive boat ride to come home with nothing to show for it.
Just can't justify it any more.
So I will stick around closer to shore will do some Cod,sea bass trips but thats it for me.

Tight Lines and better fishing.

Loneshark  chrz

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Voyager 10/11
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »
Great report!  Sorry you didn't have better results.  Certainly is very expensive to do that type of fishing!!

TT^

Offline Loneshark

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:33 AM »
Well the good news is, the wife and I are visiting friends out on L.I.the rest of the week.
My buddy has a 25' Wellcraft and he runs out of Spellmans marina where he works. TT^
Bass and Blacks are our main target,so hopefully this will take my mind off the tuna seen.
My buddy gave up tuna fishing a few years back,and just goes out on his own boat,can't say I blame him.
Well here to a least catching Bass or anything for that matter lol. ;)

tight lines
loneshark 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:31:50 AM »
Sorry to hear your tuna trip did not pan out. A lot of fishing is iffy in this day and age.

Good luck on your LI trip. Send the bass down this way when you are done with them.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:56:10 AM »
Well the good news is, the wife and I are visiting friends out on L.I.the rest of the week.
My buddy has a 25' Wellcraft and he runs out of Spellmans marina where he works. TT^
Bass and Blacks are our main target,so hopefully this will take my mind off the tuna seen.
My buddy gave up tuna fishing a few years back,and just goes out on his own boat,can't say I blame him.
Well here to a least catching Bass or anything for that matter lol. ;)

tight lines
loneshark 

Spellmans on Montauk Hwy in the Hampton Bays  ???

If so ask your buddy if he know's Jeff Croke who is a certified mechanic at Spellmans.

Offline Loneshark

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 08:54:05 AM »
Art,I'm sure he does,he's been working there for 5 yrs now.
He lives 30 mins. away from spellman's
My Buddy has been invited out for sea trials on the new 36 footer with trip 350 yammies,and has also been invited to fish offshore on a 33 footer.
I will ask him tonight when I see him.

I will be happy to send the Bass your way IrishAyes, do you have instructions on how to do this,I'm not quite sure how to do it. lol hhppy

Will report how I do. slt

tight lines
Loneshark
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:40:59 PM by Loneshark »

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:20:39 AM »
Art,I'm sure he does,he's been working there for 5 yrs now.
He lives 30 mins. away from spellman's
My Buddy has been invited out for sea trials on the new 36 footer with trip 350 yammies,and has also been invited to fish offshore on a 33 footer.
I will ask him tonight when I see him.

I will be happy to send the Bass your way IrishAyes, do you instructions on how to do this,I'm not quite sure how to do it. lol hhppy

Will report how I do. slt

tight lines
Loneshark

Jeff is a great guy who is my friend Steve's cousin.

We stay at Jeff's place in the summer.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »
Loneshark, just tell the bass that I am on my way there. They will leave in a hurry.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Loneshark

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »
Just got back Mon. from L.I.
Report.
We left spellmans dock weds. @8am.
drifted the channel till 12pm with nothing to show, but we did catch some very small sea bass,
we were drifting clams.
after losing quite a few rigs we decided to run to the reef SE of the canal. tossed the hook over and dropped our lines,immediately I hook up with a keeper size sea bass. My buddy does to, only his is bitten in half by a huge bluefish.
I look around and there are a few private boats and the Shinecock Star was half mile off our bow.
we caught more keeper sea bass, and I through a bunker chunk over and hook up with a blue about 15lbs.released unharmed.

For the rest of the day it was sea bass, blues and porgies up to 16", to bad we couldn't keep the porgies.
Pulled the hook at 6pm, at the dock by 6:45pm.
First day was great, weather was unbelievable.
I for got my camera the first day so no pics of our fish.
Thurs. left the same time but the weather had kicked up and no getting out to the reef today,so we drifted the inlet all day,I caught a nice size fluke,again unable to keep him.
guys on the east wall were spear fishing and bagged them selves a nice bass,not sure of the weight, but my guess he was in the 40lb range.
Sea bass, and blues again.
I jigged with a tuna jig i had and nailed a nice blue in the 16lb range,wasn't expecting that.
we kept drifting the inlet till 6pm but nothing happening,so we headed for the barn.
Wind was blowing pretty good, gust up to 25 knots, which made the inlet very interesting
especially when the dragger's came in.

Fri. we decide to drift the inlet at night,leaving the dock a 7pm.
first drop I hook bottom and snap off,so does my buddy.lol
we re rig and do the same thing again,ouch this is getting expensive.
re rig again, this time i hook up with a nice bass, get him to the boat,only to have him spit the hook and the eel in my face.
next drop i hook up again, this time it feels like a monster, I fight the the fish for a few mins. when all of a sudden i feel dead weight,
I reel my line in, and I am attached to another line,what the, I ask my buddy do i have you,no says he, so I pull the rig in attached is a 5oz lead head an eel and 200' of mono, at the end is a huge spider crab caught in the line,well at least I didn't lose another rig.lol
Fri night the tide was ripping and the drift was very fast,we gave up after 12:45, my buddy had to go to work the next day.
That's all the fishing we could get in but i did take some pics.

The pic of the guy scratching his butt,if you look close you can see the bass he speared,it's in a basket just above the rocks.
other pics are boats drifting and 1 shot of the inlet.
tight lines
Loneshark

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:44:55 PM by Loneshark »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 05:44:19 PM »
Great report and nice fishing!!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-