Author Topic: Saltwater Fishing Licenses  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Saltwater Fishing Licenses
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 07:56:52 PM »
Hi Joe,

I will say this one more time.

Any corruption that you feel is in the system will not go away.

Money is needed for two (2) reasons. We, as a collective group of fisherman, need to fund independent research and get our own data collection system. That takes scientists and equipment. The RFA and JCAA are having fund drives for that.

The US government and NJ state do not have enough money for anything ... no roads; no schools; no nothing. So to ask them to just magically come up with cash to fund research on fishing is not going to happen. They think they spend enough already.

You may have an arguement that we can spend the money that we have better. Fine - then Congress should look at NOAA and make changes. There does not seem to be any political will to do that.

The US is already broke ... we borrow more money than all countries on the planet together!

You think that a fishing license is a tax that you can't handle. Wait until someone has to start paying for these wars and all the other borrowing ... that will be real taxes.

Ed

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 08:10:11 PM »
The salt is the last bastion recreational consumptive use of wildlife for free so it's understandable to not want to give it up without kicking and screaming.

If you want to hunt wildlife, you need a licence which goes in part to pay the biologists etc to manage that wildlife and improve opportunities to use it recreationally. The same goes for freshwater fishing and trapping. We don't have such a system in salt water so we constantly get $crewed.

Belive me, I agree with most of the arguments against it but I feel that haveing a licence and the voice that comes with it is the lesser evil.

BTW, in Fla, the guids etc pay a fee to licence thier customers while they're aboard.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 08:15:34 PM »
AND ANOTHER THING...I hope you all see this a a friendly discussion...no hard felings. Disagreemt is what gets things done ;D

Ruger314

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:29 PM »
Capt Ed..

I can agree with you  on the US being Broke.

We need to stop sending money to countries that never repay.. The war,, well we all know that a huge waste of billions and precious lives..

On the state Level.. all the money is wasted!!

An why would a millionaire take a job that pays nothing to him.. oh the political kick backs!! the greasy palms..

When it comes to the fisheries and hunting in the state.. I truly believe sportsmen are tired of flipping the bill for so called scientific data that every year gets worst..

This debate will never end but until we as sportsman get the shaft in the end..

I would love to see me commercial restrictions, little is every mentioned in these debates .. Whether here on the site or in the papers!! I think thats were sportmen get tired of being push on the regs.. While commercials quotas stay steady in the percent of the catch!!

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »
Hi Joe,

I agree that the first thing that should be done is 50/50 split between comms and recs.

This 60/40 stuff so people can have "cheap fish" is absurd.

Can we agree on this also?

We will keep a count ...

1. USA government and NJ state are broke.
2. The war is a wast eo fmoney and precious lives.
3. We need to spend more wisely.
4. 50/50 Split ???

See, we are not so far our of whack ... (LOL).

Ed

Ruger314

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 09:16:16 PM »
Truthsss TT^

I will say this if I charter my prices will incorporate the the fee put upon us..

another I will push and have learned from other license Captain who charter is the urge to push the catch and release on trophy fish!!

Once I have my license I believe my role will be much more present at mutliple meeting!!

I know why wait???  Well.. its a personal choice!!

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 11:38:34 PM »
Ed

There are no provisions in Magnuson but the prohibition of a salt water license expires in 2010 opening the door for one in 2011 >:(

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi Capt. Bob,

I re-read my notes. There was language for the registry in the Legislation and it was removed.

You are correct!

Many thanks for helping out my failing memory,

Ed

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
Ed

And as sure as the sun comes up in the morning you can bet we will have one :-\ :'( :'( :'(

Offline Mister Penguin

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 02:08:52 PM »
Scientists need to start cloning fish eggs, not pigs.

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »
i'd pay for a marine fishing license but as said i'd want the money to go to the right place.

my roomate currently tracks our local pine snakes located in the pine barrens and does animal relocations. if an area is being cleared he goes in and counts all animals he can find and relocates them. nice job but not much money.

his first love is our local fish though and he's an ichthyologist that did extensive work tracking our local stripers and any biology having to do with them....again not much there in the paycheck.

to work with fish one must love fish alot more than money it seems. it would be really nice if this state would look more east and put some time and money in our waters. I see no reason why this state can't become a worthwhile fishing destination like florida.

are any of our reefs or any other structure there thanks to the state or is it all donations for them?

sorry to ramble...long day at work and bad weather on the water :-\
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline njdiver

NJ Artificial Reef Program funding.
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 09:44:14 AM »

are any of our reefs or any other structure there thanks to the state or is it all donations for them?

sorry to ramble...long day at work and bad weather on the water :-\

Back in 1984 when the State took over the Federal permits for the reefs there was a one time influx of fine money from the nuclear plant's fish kill.  Since then the reef program has been mainly financed with Wallop-Breaux funds and donations from recreational fishermen and divers.  The Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration program (Wallop-Breaux funds ) is an excise tax with “10-percent excise taxes on fishing equipment (fishing rods, reels, tackle, etc.); 3-percent sale price imposed on electric outboard boat motors and sonar devices; 1 ½-percent to 5-percent import tax on tackle, pleasure boats, and yachts (motor boat parts, sails, propellers, boat hulls, inflatable boats, sailboats, motor boats, rowboats, yachts, floating docks, inflatable rafts, buoys, sailboards, and sailboard parts); 1.08-percent tax on motor boat fuel; and 0.29-percent on small engine fuel.”   

http://federalasst.fws.gov/sfr/fasfr.html

Offline Mate Mike

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »
As far as a saltwater fishing license.  I am for it IF, and only if, the money goes back into the saltwater fishing arena.  However, in the State of New Jersey this will never happen.  The money will go into the general fund and be spent on some useless project that would benefit only a few.
   whs
"I spend most of my time fishing and bow hunting, the rest I waste."

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »
Hear Hear...

This state hasn't shown me that a saltwater license is worthy of my time and effort to get.  The monies will be peed off onto some pet project of some politicians and never benefit those who pay the license (tax) in the first place.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-