Author Topic: New to forum and this wicked cold state..lol  (Read 6343 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: New to forum and this wicked cold state..lol
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »
Nice Speck Bucktail..  :P

Whats the "prime" season on those guys?

Actually sHArK, there really is no season for spotted sea trout (specks) up here.  That one was caught back in March last year, near the outflow of the power plant by my house.  We had them come up our way one summer and some of them found the warm water of the plant and survived in the creek all winter.

Other than incidental catches like that one, I don't know of many trout being caught in New Jersey.  Weakfish are another story.  And although the weakie fishing hasn't been all that consistent from season to season, we are starting to move into prime time for them.  Although they can be caught throughout the summer and fall, the end of April through mid-June had always been the most productive time for me to catch weakfish back in Barnegat Bay. t^

The best artificials for weakfish in the bay are pink FinS or Zoom Fluke type jerkbaits and small 3" or 4" boot-tail shads.  Both are normally rigged on jigheads weighing between 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz.  The smaller Storm Wildeye and Tsunami Swim Shads are also a good choice.

If you prefer to throw the real stuff, sandworms, bloodworms and shedder crab would be my choices.  Chumming and baiting with grass shrimp is also popular down by me.  It's mostly a summer thing, and although it's not my personal favorite way to fish for them, when they're biting in the slick it can be nonstop catching.  In the fall, peanut bunker are great baits as well.

Hope that helps!  ;D

-Bob

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-