Author Topic: Waste in a Time Of plenty  (Read 8469 times)

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
Waste in a Time Of plenty
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »
This may sound frugal to some ::) But waste not want not when it come to cleaning and filleting your catch. I learned this in Alaska some years ago while Salmon fishing for Sockeye ( REDS ) The state Fish and Game are light years ahead of many where even on remote streams you will find S/S Fillet tables -Nylon cutting boards and a bristle brush to clean the surface when you are done at and in the waters edge, Reason being they want you to return the skeletons back to the water, Now My Point While waiting to clean my catch the guy in front of me had a very large Fine table fork, that after he Filleted the salmon he would scrap the skeleton ( Ribs ) with the fork and gain a lot more flesh, to some that's to Frugal but many up there rely on subsistence fishing and hunting. he was not a tourist, he was a local that I met years before. I asked what are the scrapping used for he said Salmon Cakes. slt His wife makes about 300 for the freezer each year.
but adds the Onion, Green peppers. Red Pepper flakes- Celery. salt pepper garlic powder. to the mix when defrosted and ready for the Frying pan.
I do this to both Fluke and winter Flounder, and other fish I filet, Blue fish exempt fcp Why waste a resource, Give it a try, Just look at all the flesh left on the bones. But of course a clean board is needed not something one will find on many charter or Head boats understandably,  Bill   

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: Waste in a Time Of plenty
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
Cool idea, I sometimes use the water left from boiling the crabs for soup 5hrug
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
Al I will skip the soup, and go straight for the Salad, :headscra:

Offline FishOn

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
We make chowder and stock from scraps

Let me just bust your balls and maybe pick up some knowledge here so let me ask you, How much does a subsistence fisherman in Alaska pay for a green pepper?  :P
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
Got me how much 5hrug Bill

Offline FishOn

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
Has anyone ever tried salting and baking or otherwise drying the rack of a fluke? Suppose to make the whole thing crunchy and brittle like a chip.
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »
Fishon My neighbors are Chinese and when we have gone out to eat at what they call authentically cooked fish and food, when a whole flounder is served The plate is void on anything, and this goes for most of the fish., So what you say and ask is not far fetched, plus give me a research prodject  chrz
Note in any Asian market the shrimp and prawns all have the heads on they deep fry them whole and all becomes a crispy feast shells head become one.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
Another thought how many remove the cheeks of fish such as Blue fish, one of the best parts season and cracker crumb and fry  clp

Offline FishOn

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
I have a friend who is a chef in California and he tells me that dried fish racks are very popular, bones and all.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
Another thought how many remove the cheeks of fish such as Blue fish, one of the best parts season and cracker crumb and fry  clp

I once got in an argument with the capt of a big party boat in belmar because he told me his mates were not allowed to cheek the fish. This was after I told him that I would rather swing and release bluefish (I was up on the bow and it wasn't crowded). He stated "we keep everything." So I said ok, you are going to sell the fillets, that's fine. But I at least wanted some cheeks. When he said no way I flipped. For a nice tip the mates cut me some cheeks anyway.  ::)

Also the capt was hitting on my wife and bummed at least 5 cigerettes earlier in the night. Lost a customer for life but I digress.

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
you can simmer the bones for fish stock if you are a cook. But while we're on the subject, I'm reading the fishing reports of people catching 50 ling. What do you do with 50 ling? I understand they don't freeze well(?)
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline FishOn

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
I'm reading the fishing reports of people catching 50 ling. What do you do with 50 ling? I understand they don't freeze well(?)

Put them in a pile and take a pic to prove how awesome you are !

Woops!!! Couldn't help myself  ;D

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »
 whs
 Ans as far as that Boat Capt. goes  smk  he can KMA on the bow at high noon. Like I said before I cleaned my own fish no mate to slash and waste. And if you wanted to catch and release who is he to say no smk
As long as you do not purposely waste fish scr-w him  smk,
 And the flesh of ling turns mush when frozen that's why whiting were preferred. and if not handled right on the boat and iced down very good they become Crab bait.  cfzd
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:54:19 PM by Hotrod »

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
FISHON  what was with the green pepper remark you never gave a answer  ??? 5hrug chrz

Offline FishOn

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »
I just remember seeing the cost of certain things in Alaska and Hawaii and was making a pun on the thought of a subsistence fisherman paying 4-6 dollars per pepper. But then again local doesn't mean subsistence and since the point of the thread was about not wasting I guess it has nothing to do with spending 6$ on a pepper anyway.

I don't waste green peppers either  ;)

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »
Ok That was many years ago that the prices were out of site. But stores such as Freddy Myers. 3 Bears. Costco. plus local Farming of Vegetables, Meat. Things have leveled off. My Buddy moved up to TOK just south of Fairbanks from Cooper Landing. on The Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage. He said things are a lot cheaper up there then below. Even gas $5. + - Diesel $6 +- propane 20lb -$25. One of the reasons is The Alaska Alcan splits in Tok so the trucks stop there first then travel on at a higher cost. And other goods come to the coast By Barge , 1/2 & 1/2 cost him $1.35 qt. Whole Rib eyes $4.59 lb. most staples are the same with store brands And that Pepper 15 cents each grown local, Another thing about up there things can be bought single pcs or Bulk.
Subsistence living  means living off the Land, Residents only, The income level is very good and has nothing to do with it.  The rules for fishing and hunting are different and allow more to be taken. Even with the amount of the State oil permanent fund check being lower in the past years, and its for each and every one in the family Mom and Dad 5 kids that"s 7 Checks  around $18000.00 depending on market. Its a hard place to live even today, a visit is best.  Bill

Offline leckbass

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
We make chowder and stock from scraps

I second that!

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
I'm reading the fishing reports of people catching 50 ling. What do you do with 50 ling? I understand they don't freeze well(?)

Put them in a pile and take a pic to prove how awesome you are !

Woops!!! Couldn't help myself  ;D

I recently just got into ling fishing, catching alot of ling at one time is enjoyable and feeding five people like I do is not alot, fillets are not that big, plus I never waste any of my catch. If I have too much I will knock on my neighbors door and give them a bag of fillets.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »
 whs whs whs whs whs whs whs whs whs whs whs whs

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-