Author Topic: 2012 Fluke regs...here are some of the options.....  (Read 24853 times)

Offline fathergll

Re: 2012 Fluke regs...here are some of the options.....
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »

Use the insert quote button, its a little white box icon

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
regs are regs.  If your fishing from land, just enjoy the sport of fishing.  Consider something on the other end of your line a bonus.  Fluke is very hard to target from the surf because they are an ambush feeder and you have to drift for them.  If you fish Fluke from the beach, it is a lot of work, casting and moving up and down the beach.

I like the statement, you can't skydive without a plane.  This is true.  If your looking to go fishing, go on the beach and enjoy the sport of fishing.  If your looking for meat, jump on a boat and go where the meat is. 

Between the cost of tackle, bait etc on the surf, for a couple more bucks, just on a head boat.

Should the rules be different for a skiff who can't fish the ocean, or should the rules be different for a 20' boat that can't head off shore.

I know we are all complaining about the rules and regulation of the fishing industry, but remember this, it is still a sport.  Enjoy it for what it is.

NJguy said he wouldn't go out if the fluke limit was 2.  I would if the limit was 2.  Why?  Because I love being out on the water.  There are days I get skunked but still have a good time, because I truly enjoy the sport of boating, and fishing. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »

NJguy said he wouldn't go out if the fluke limit was 2.  I would if the limit was 2.  Why?  Because I love being out on the water.  There are days I get skunked but still have a good time, because I truly enjoy the sport of boating, and fishing. 

Dont worry ill still be out ;D ;D I'll just be in the mudhole  >:D
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »

That's why it can't work.  No way that can be enforced short of busting people who have legal offshore fish once they get in the bay.  Conversely you wouldn't be able to fish the bay, get a couple keepers, then move offshore looking for better grounds.  Unfortunately fish don't have signs that state where they're from and they can't talk. 

You could still at least seperate land vs boat regulations. Thats a no brainer.

I agree, I would have no issue with that.  But you can't possibly have different bay, offshore, type of boat limits.  Just because my boat is bigger than a kayak shouldn't force me to fish offshore all the time. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline fathergll

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »

I agree, I would have no issue with that.  But you can't possibly have different bay, offshore, type of boat limits.  Just because my boat is bigger than a kayak shouldn't force me to fish offshore all the time. 

Well it wouldn't force you to fish offshore. You just wouldn't be included in the smaller regulations. A simple way of seperating vessels would be if you have a motored boat Game and Fish will check you for the current 18" regulations, if not then you fall into the smaller category. I agree seperating the whole bay vs ocean would be a problem as people would violate that

At the end of the day it should be about trying to distribute the catch among the different segements of anglers. Im not talking about worrying about an exotic species like tuna, im talking about looking a the bread and butter fish of the inlets which is the flounder/fluke durning the summer. Infact I would be 100% for land guys having a much lower take home limit as well. 16" maybe 2-3 fish

Offline fathergll

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
regs are regs.  If your fishing from land, just enjoy the sport of fishing.  Consider something on the other end of your line a bonus. 

I can just picture 10 years from now when the regulations become so outrageous that even  boats are becoming catch and release a commerical captain will utter the following;

regs are regs.  If your fishing from a recreational boat, just enjoy the sport of fishing.  Consider something on the other end of your line a bonus. 

Fluke is very hard to target from the surf because they are an ambush feeder and you have to drift for them.  If you fish Fluke from the beach, it is a lot of work, casting and moving up and down the beach.

I don't fish for them on the surf. In the Inlet and I don't have to move an inch due to the current

I like the statement, you can't skydive without a plane.  This is true.  If your looking to go fishing, go on the beach and enjoy the sport of fishing.  If your looking for meat, jump on a boat and go where the meat is. 

This is exactly why things are the way they currently are. And people wonder why commercial guys don't care either?

Between the cost of tackle, bait etc on the surf, for a couple more bucks, just on a head boat.

For a couple dollars more?...isn't a head boat around $40 minimuim?

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
regs are regs.  If your fishing from land, just enjoy the sport of fishing.  Consider something on the other end of your line a bonus. 

I can just picture 10 years from now when the regulations become so outrageous that even  boats are becoming catch and release a commerical captain will utter the following;

regs are regs.  If your fishing from a recreational boat, just enjoy the sport of fishing.  Consider something on the other end of your line a bonus. 

Fluke is very hard to target from the surf because they are an ambush feeder and you have to drift for them.  If you fish Fluke from the beach, it is a lot of work, casting and moving up and down the beach.

I don't fish for them on the surf. In the Inlet and I don't have to move an inch due to the current

This is exactly why things are the way they currently are. And people wonder why commercial guys don't care either?

For a couple dollars more?...isn't a head boat around $40 minimuim?

OK --For you guys that are debating --WHAT the regs are going to be--If you missed my last post-it is here-

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=26100.0

Feel free to call or email these people and find out First Hand on how all of this works--And they do want your opinion--I don't have anything to do with it But I do send in my opinions. They also will give the names of organizations that you can email or call for your opinions-Like save the summer flounder t^

Offline El Gato Negro

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
Why not create specific shore based locations with a 1 fish per day at 17" size limit?

I remember Connecticut doing something to this effect a couple years back.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Why not create specific shore based locations with a 1 fish per day at 17" size limit?

It didnt work out so well and i believe they cut it very fast
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline fathergll

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 03:11:24 PM »

I wonder why it didn't work out? I can understand the problem enforcing that for boats in the bay, but enforcing a smaller size limit for shore based anglers is pretty easy. I'd like to see 16.5" at 2 for shore based guys. 

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

I wonder why it didn't work out? I can understand the problem enforcing that for boats in the bay, but enforcing a smaller size limit for shore based anglers is pretty easy. I'd like to see 16.5" at 2 for shore based guys. 

If a guy sees me loading my cooler in my truck and asks to check and i have 16.5 fish i could just as easily tell him i caught them off the dock.... he cant prove i caught them from my boat  5hrug
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »

If a guy sees me loading my cooler in my truck and asks to check and i have 16.5 fish i could just as easily tell him i caught them off the dock.... he cant prove i caught them from my boat  5hrug

Get rid of------( from my boat)  smk rofla rofla rofla
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:43:34 PM by IKAT »

Offline fathergll

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »

If a guy sees me loading my cooler in my truck and asks to check and i have 16.5 fish i could just as easily tell him i caught them off the dock.... he cant prove i caught them from my boat  5hrug

Thats really not a big deal. First that still means you're limited to 2 fish. So the second you decide to keep a 16.5" fish then you are also deciding to bring 2 fish back. On top of that you have to be willing to chance it anyway that the guy doesn't see you coming off the boat. People cheat the system as it is....who the heck is going to stop you now from filleting small fluke at sea, then stashing the meat in some secret compartment in a giant tackle box.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-