Author Topic: Sun Feb 28th Greenwood Lake / Monksville/ Lake Valhalla report  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
Met Steve & Louie at 8:45 am in Riverdale.

1st stop was Franks for Bait.

Steve got us to Greenwood Lake in no time.

There were a few guys on the ice so we knew we would be fishing.Steve drove around the lake and we picked our spot.Loaded up 1 sled with our gear and Steve was the 1st guy on the ice.Once you stepped onto the snow covered lake the snow came up to your Knees and on top of the ice was 1.5 " of water and slush.Felt like Quick sand  I saw what Steve went through to walk 50 yds and I was stupid to follow him.Behind me was Louie.Let's just say we were sinking in slush and I thought for sure the ice cold slushy water went into my boats but that was not the case.We looked at each other like we were nuts and decided that there was no way we were ice Fishing Greenwood lake.There had to be a good 30 " of Snow in Greenwood Lake area.Now we go to Plan B.Steve took us to Monksville & there were some guys on the ice but some mo mo's decided to park & block the entrance to the parking lot & we could not enter.

Now it's ll:30 and we knew the Pioneer Pub would be openning at noon & Steve says Wings & Beers are on him.We munched out & came up with Plan C.

Louie was to tired so he punked out.Steve & myself decided to go to Lake Valhalla and see if we can ice fish.As we pulled into the parking lot there were 2 guys with there kids who just got off the ice.I asked 1 of the guys how the ice was and he said Slushy.We took out the Auger & 2 jigging rods and walked the docks.Steve drills a hole close to the dock & the Auger was almost under water.I helped Steve lift the Auger out of the slushy water and we knew the ice was not safe at the edge.Steve drilled enough holes that we were able to jig from the docks  We jigged for a good hr & and all of a sudden right before we were going to pack it in I was hooked up.The drag was screaming and I knew I had a good size fish on.I faught the fish but the fish wrapped me around a metal pole & I waited a bit.The fish un wrapped itself and I thought for sure I was going to land it but the fish busted my 6 lb test.

At 3 pm we called it a day and went into the bar to watch the USA / Canada hockey game.

Even though the catching was slow we had alot of Fun  ;D

Offline Jeffish

Re: Sun Feb 28th Greenwood Lake / Monksville/ Lake Valhalla report
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »
Nice report. Shame you got snapped off  rgmn

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
 clp

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »
Nice report Art. Sounds like you had a fun day for the most part.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-