Author Topic: Scratching one off the Bucket List.. Miami, Fla  (Read 5805 times)

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
Scratching one off the Bucket List.. Miami, Fla
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »
As some of you may know from my b'day thread, last week I was fortunate enough to escape the deep freeze for a while and take a cruise to the Caribbean with my family..Our ship sailed on Sunday morning, but we arrived in Fla. Friday afternoon.. giving us a day to spend in Miami.. I of course took the opportunity to squeeze in a little fishing  TT^ I had read good things about the winter Tarpon fishing around Miami.. which is a fish I've always wanted to tangle with.. so a bit of further internet scouting put me in contact with Capt. Gil Gutierrez of Lucky charters.. who offered 4 hour evening trips out of north Miami Beach.. After a fantastic day of taking in the sights of South Beach  cfzd  thud with my niece and her boyfriend, We headed north for my meeting with Capt Gil. As the weather called for possibly some showers and t-storms, my tender-stomached brethren bailed on joining me..  pawle So after ejecting the lubbers from the rental car, I met Capt. Gil about 5pm and boarded his amazing boat, the Lucky Vee..Holy crap.. What a machine! cfzd   a 32ft Sea Vee powered by a single 425 hp Cummins..totally loaded fish killer.. anyway.. we headed out of the TNT marina under some threatening skies.. but it just felt warm and fishy to me.. Now I'm not overly superstitious, but some signs are just to obvious to dismiss.. so I couldn't help but feel good about our chances after being greeted by this double rainbow while crossing Biscayne Bay.. I swear I could hear Judy Garland singin...

Shortly after,  as we idled through a no-wake zone we got a visit from this guy.. who obviously thought the live bait well on the Vee was his personal sushi bar.. as he tried to peck his way though the clear lid.. strange bird is the Pelican...  fcp

After crossing the bay and getting out of the inlet amid some brief showers, we cruised down along the beach to the fishing grounds.. as the sun was setting we tossed live baits to some mouth-watering rock structure.. but got no takers.. however, the view and pure joy of casting once again in short sleeves, somewhat made up for a lack of action..

After the sun set, we set up to drift live shrimp along the beachfront.. If not for the hi-rises I may have thought I was back Fluking off the Hook.. After about an hour or so, we had only caught a few snappers, and sundry small fishes.. when we finally got the bite we where looking for..  ;D  the initial bite fooled me a bit, as the fish ate, and moved toward the boat.. making me think for a sec that it may be another little guy.. but I reeled hard, and when the circle hook came tight, it was on.. majorly..  msfsh Hard to describe the sensations of this 1st Tarpon.. the fish ran.. the reel shrieked.. there was sounds of jumping out in the dark.. for a while I just help on.. Capt. Gil was masterfully keeping the boat in position, while getting video snippets of the fight with my cell phone.. the whole scene was made almost surreal by the backdrop of a fully lit-up Miami.. After many runs, jumps and revolutions around the boat, we finally got the fish.. a healthy 50lber or so, boatside.. After a couple final still pics, Capt. Gil grabbed the leader, popped the fish loose and we watched him swim away..  grtn

That was to be the only Tarpon of the night... we had one other bite that I kinda screwed the pooch on, that we believe was another.. but I was indecisive on the reel and never got tight.. But that first one will be burned in a long time.. and I will surely be back for more!  TT^  Well.. thanks for lasting through this endless post and allowing me to share this..I'll post the Videos in a separate thread:
http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=33660.0
Thanks again to Capt Gil.. If any of my friends where to find themselves in Miami, and where looking to get onto a fish of a lifetime, I would certainly recommend they give Gil a call!  chrz
http://www.luckyfishingcharters.com/about_lucky_fishing_charters.htm

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:06:02 PM by Treebeard »

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Scratching one off the Bucket List.. Miami, Fla
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
Thanks for the report, Mark.  I am getting sick of looking at snow.  Congrats on the Tarpon  clp clp clp
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
Great fish Mark. t^  I will put that on my list. chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Niiiiiiice

And Niiiiiice ride he's got there too

Pole holders much?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
Nice job Mark! Great report.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »
Great trip and awesome read Mark  t^ t^ t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »
Great way to getaway! Great fish and report... clp

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
 whs  w00t w00t w0w  Awesome! t^

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »
Sounds like you had a fun trip...thanks for sharing and allowing us to share the journey as you saw it.badly needed right now.. t^

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
Nice t^ chrz

Where are the pictures from South Beach  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:39:23 PM by paul-e »
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »
 t^ Great report Mark!
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »
ata boy Mark

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »
 t^....Congrats on the Tarpon, Thanks for sharing your trip...... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
Nice t^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
Nice t^ chrz

Where are the pictures from South Beach  ;D
yea Mark I was looking for a separate THREAD for the South Beach photos  ;D  ;) enjoy Mark  chrz
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-