Author Topic: Report - Cape May - Sunset Beach  (Read 2046 times)

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
Report - Cape May - Sunset Beach
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »
Well the summer vacation is over. Got back home yesterday afternoon. Had a great week in Cape May with my family and good friends "The Harkay's". Doormat Dan and I fished the beach next to the jettie at Alexander Street at Sunset Beach each morning. I caught 4 croakers on clams the first morning and two short fluke on 1/2 oz Spro with Gulp swimming mullet(Char.). Dan caught 4 short fluke the first day on a HI/LOW rig using Gulp swimming mullet(hot pink). We were sure it would be a good week fishing, we were wrong. Did not catch anything again until the last day. We watched and studied a local guy fishing off the jettie, he caught a least 8 fluke each day( no keepers). He was using a med. action fresh water rod with a matched spinning reel. He also used a 3/8 oz round char. lead head tipped with a gulp char. swimming mullet. About 20" up from the lead head he used a loop to also fish a bright teaser. This guy knew his spot and how to fish the area. So the last day we fished the jettie using 1/2 oz spro tipped with gulp swimming mullet char. I caught 6 short fuke in two hours and lost 3 more. Dan caught 3 short fluke and lost 3 or 4 more. We learned a lot and will be ready for next year. We had a great vacation and  everyone is already talking about next year and what we will do.
Have a great holiday everyone. chrz
NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Report - Cape May - Sunset Beach
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 03:14:47 PM »
Sounds like you and the family and friends had a great time.  I can't wait till everyone leaves after Monday then I will get my beaches back and be able to fish pretty much where I want to.

This time of year in my mind especially off the beaches is the best time to try your luck.  The blues, fluke (for a short time), croakers and bass will be around or shortly around and the fun starts.

Happy Catching All.

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
Great report.  Awesome vacation.  Sounds like you had a wonderful family vacation.  Cape May is so much fun and so much different from the rest of NJ and the shore towns.  Sunset Beach is awesome.  You had some good catching.  Better report from the surf than we have had in this area.

Glad you had a good vacation and a good fishing trip.  It is always nice to learn for the future.  Did you see the dolphin pods right off of the beach while out there??  My son thinks that is the greatest!!

TT^

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:45:04 PM »
Pfishingruven,

Yes, well saw dolphins everyday. Saw pods at Sunset Beach while fishing and while we were at the beach in front of Uncle Bills Pancake House. A lot of the dolphins watching boats were right out in front of us while the kids were riding their wave boards. We spent two weeks in Cape May each year one week in late July and always the last week of August. To bad it is over but there is always next year.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
Sounds like a blast! 

We camped in Cape May 4th of July Week.  Spent more time in the campground b/c the crowds were crazy.  It wasn't my pick of times to go, but it was a vacation anyway.  I really like it down there...it is very nice!

Glad you had a good vacation again!!

TT^

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:19:39 PM »
We have been going to Cape May for 13 years now, my in-laws own a condo at Regent Beach it is right next to Congress Hall. I tell my wife that is one of the reasons I married her( the condo)LOL What campground did you stay at/

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »
Sounds like you had a nice vacation Devil. Always something to do in Cape May. Very nice area.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-