Author Topic: Who is the Best Prop Guy Around.  (Read 4195 times)

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Who is the Best Prop Guy Around.
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
 In my attempt to get the correct  RPMs at the right Top End Speed I have changed more Props(different diameters and pitches) in the last two weeks than a baby changes diapers.    cfzd
I'm getting the original S/S reworked.Currently using a spare.Looking to replace that one.
But, each one I  have tried has different advantages:
better hole shot or better top end,or less RPMs,or better low end,pushing more water at low RPMs  5hrug 5hrug 5hrug  WTF.
The more I talk to these guys the more stuff I'm hearing, researched the net too. :-\
Who's the Best Prop Guy around.I want to fish more..
Thanks in advance.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Who is the Best Prop Guy Around.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
Hi AJ, I have had pretty good luck with Ocean Propeller here in Toms River.  When I had my boats especially my 27' Luhrs I had them work on mine and always had good results.  They have been in business here for as long as I can remember.  A no nonsense bunch of guys.

3340 State Hwy No 37 E
Toms River, NJ 08753
732-929-1100

Good Luck

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline urulie

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »
there is a guy down in bayville I cant remember the name but they helped me with a past prop choice and they were nice guys.  Don't underestimate your prop choice it means a great deal on a daily bases.  GOOD LUCK

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:16:43 AM »
As you have learned differant diam/pitches produce differant results, you have to deceide what you want/need.

My family owned a Prop Shop for 30 yrs which I worked in for over 20......

I would reccomend Atlantic Propeller Services (732) 777-0912 53 Glendale Ave,  Edison,  NJ  08817

Make sure you have all your info: Boat type, Weight, Current prop size and RPMS, Engine and if inboard gear reduction.....

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
Yes, I know its extremely important to run the right prop:  Diamter and Pitch for the type of work the boat will do.Thats why I am really searched it out with the boat builder,motor people and now the prop people.
Will update you of results.
Stay well.Thanks.   t^

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »
As you have learned differant diam/pitches produce differant results, you have to deceide what you want/need.

My family owned a Prop Shop for 30 yrs which I worked in for over 20......

I would reccomend Atlantic Propeller Services (732) 777-0912 53 Glendale Ave,  Edison,  NJ  08817

Make sure you have all your info: Boat type, Weight, Current prop size and RPMS, Engine and if inboard gear reduction.....

Another Vote for Atlantic Prop in Edison  t^
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:49:19 PM »
AJ I was taught it is not the speed but the RPMS @ wide open throttle you are looking for. If the factory says 6000 RPM max and the motor's all good, you should be shooting for a prop that with a light load and 1/2tank or less fuel will get you 5800-6000 RPMs @WOT. The speed at that RPM is what it is. 6000 or more and you need to go up in Diameter or pitch or both. Don't overrev. 5800 or less (make sure it's all tuned & good compression, etc, etc, etc.) and you need to drop Dia and/or pitch. Don't spend time chasing the prop unless you know all is well w/ the motor.

Good luck

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »
Thanks Men for the comeback.
 I dropped off  the original S/S prop to Atlantic Prop in Edison, to be rebalanced and brought up to specs.Nice and informative people.
I running with a three blade alum. with a little dif.diameter and the same pitch presently(according to the book) and like the performance so far.Might consider a four blade too.
Keep you posted.  t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-