Author Topic: Hello from a new guy  (Read 3306 times)

Offline vespo

Hello from a new guy
« on: July 01, 2007, 02:03:58 PM »

Hi, I'm a new member.

I did a good amount of fihing off piers, and party boats when I was a kid on Long Island, but since then I can count the number of times I've gone out on one hand. In the interveneing years I've moved several times, ending up in NJ about 7 or 8 years ago, gotten married, had a kid (she'll be 1 year old next month!).

A few weeks ago I was on vacation down in Wildwood and decided to go out on a party boat for a fluke trip. It was a slow day, only one keeper for the whole boat and the only thing that was biting on a regular basis were a few sharks ranging from aboout 18" to just under 48" (had fun fighting them though!). Despite the weak catch I've been annoying my wife about getting back in the game, so now I'm just waiting another week or so before I can go get my old gear out of storage at my parent's place, see what is usable, and what needs to be repaired or replaced, and start trying my luck probably alongthe beaches of  raritan bay/sandy hook for whatever I think I've got a reasonable chance of finding.

If I'm feeling ambitious enough, I'm even considering taking my dad's beat up old rod that hasn't been used in ages and see about refurbishing it if I ever work up the time. money, and patience to do it.

Hope to get some good tips from you guys!

Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: Hello from a new guy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 02:06:27 PM »
Vespo

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find everyone more than willing to help and steer you in the right direction. Glad to have you back into the fold TT^ TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:32:17 PM »
Welcome Vespo..

Very Nice to have you with us..

We are soo addicting, we make you want to fish as much as possible.

FYI..

We hold a private section for active Registered Members called the Members Den.
Here you will find
Hot spots and gps locations

Open  Boat Forum, Where you can hook up with one of our fine members for a trip out on his boat or on the beach. This is not a charter.  Just Guys with boats taking out guys that don't have boats  or just want to team up for the day.

Members on-water contact info Want to know whats going on the day your out. give them a buzz.

Along with a couple more great sections.

For privacy purposes you must have 8 posts for it to open up. 

Again  Welcome to your new home on the Web..  "The 2nd best place to be when your not Fishin"  t^ ( sounds like a good shirt design  ;D

Offline vespo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

The most challneging part is going to be finding  decent spots to fish the surf or off piers since it isn't really economically smart to take party boat trip too often - for now at least, I need to fish on the cheap. I'm guessing I'll start at  some of thre more popular spots until I start to know my way around better - unfortunately all the spots I knew as a kid are in another state, so I'm practically starting over from scratch.

In any case, I can't wait to put some bait in the water again. I've got a kid and a few very young niece's and nephews that are going to need fishing lessons when they get older, so the sooner I get my skills up to par the better! When I was a kid I lost my dad at an early age, but was lucky enough to have a few very generous neighbors who were more than happy to teach me what they knew, and I'd be remiss if I'm not prepared to return the favor to the kids in my family.
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 06:26:03 PM »
I just bummped yu up to the Members Den.  Make a post in there asking for some good Surf hot spots TT^

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »
 welcome aboard vespo, glad to have ya back to the sport.

as for spots, we have a few beachpounders floating around here that should be more than able to hook you up with good info for the places you mentioned wanting to fish.

go ahead and start a new thread in the members den and im sure the guys will be with you in a bit. state where you wanna fish, wether you walk on/ride on, and where your from incase better spots can be had closer.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »
Hi Vespo,

Welcome to the site and back in the gaame!

we will try our best to lend a helping hand ...

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 07:21:29 PM »
Vespo, welcome to most informative fishing site on the web.  There are guys here who will stear you in the right direction.

Like others have already said, post where you want to fish and someone will give you info on that area.  Guys will also be willing to meet you at a beach where they fish and show you a thing or two.  You just need to ask.

Good luck and good fishing.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 09:02:03 PM »
welcome aboard
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »
Welcome Aboard vespo,

It is always a thrill to get back in the hunt so to speak.  If you have any questions about anything fishing you landed at the right spot.  The only place where you won't be judged.  We were all there at one time or other and were seeking a better answer.  Well, this is it.  The best question and answer site on the web.

Fire away guy, all the tactics are basicly the same only with up dated technology.  Pretty cool stuff.

Happy Catching.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-