Author Topic: Lake Shenandoah  (Read 6403 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Lake Shenandoah
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:38:05 AM »
Hit Lake Shenandoah Park in Lakewood this evening!!  They certainly have done a lot to the lake since I fished there last, which was over 15 years ago or so.   Got out there around 1915 hrs and planned to fish until dusk which is when the park closes.  No sooner did I get situated and started casting, did the Ocean County Park Security Guard come over and tell me that I only had 30 minutes or so until the park closed at 2000hrs.  UNREAL...sunset wasn't until 2 minutes after 8 and dusk should be 15-20 minutes after that.  Needless to say, I didn't catch a thing and might change my user name to Skunkingruven!!  I only spent about 15 minutes fishing and casted maybe 20 times or so.

The lake looked nice and I saw a lot of fish feeding on the surface.  Only a handful of people fishing.  Weather was great and besides not fishing for very long, I had a nice outing.  I know why the lake is not fished all that often anymore, but I may give it another try and keep closing time in mind.  It is nice and close and has a good variety of fish species...including my favorites pickerel, tiger muskie and bass!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Lake Shenandoah
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:43:11 AM »
I love that little lake! ;D  It tends to get a bit weed choked in the summer.  But, I've caught a lot of nice bass there.

-Bob

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »
We use to fish that lake all the time before it became part of the park system.  Spent many a night fishing between the islands. There is a 12' hole there and a nice high rise to the underwater bank great for bass to hang out.

Have not fished it since the take over.  Boy can they ruin a good fishing spot.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:49:10 AM »
Thanks for the info!!  I seem to vaguely remember lots of weeds and grass as a teen fishing there.  It seems really nice, nicer than when I was younger.  It is also nice and close and has a pretty good population of fish.  The only problem are the hours.  I like to fish early in the morning and then in the evening to dusk hours...however it opens between 6 and 7 in the morning and it looks like it will be closing by 8 and no later now.  I will just have to get out there earlier and work my way around the lake.

I was just so aggravated tonight...I couldn't get out any earlier even if I wanted to and then they cut my fishing short by 45 minutes or so...oh well!

Thanks!!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:57:05 AM »
It used to close at dusk.  Check the sign as you enter the park off Rt. 88.  If it still says dusk then that guy was wrong.  Maybe he had somewhere to be tonight. ::)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »
If there is a gate at the entrance, I'm betting he had other parks to get to and lock them up also. Ask if he can put this park at the end of his tour in the future.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
Yes, the sign says dusk!!  There are 2 gated entrances and the female security guard was not very friendly and very much in a rush!!

They have soccer fields there that are to be used for soccer organizations games and practices only, but on certain days they have signs that say Open Fields.  Well, there were a bunch of guys playing soccer and she wanted them to leave so she pulled up on the field, put her yellow strobe lights on, beeped her horn and made an announcement on her PA System that the Park Was Closed!!  Too funny  rofla!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:10:39 AM »
Wanabie's are the worse... nosmly
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-