Author Topic: 11/22 IBSP Bassin in the Slop (?? last of the season??)  (Read 2047 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
11/22 IBSP Bassin in the Slop (?? last of the season??)
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
Well my brother-in-law and I headed from PP thu the canal and out of MI to head to IBSP for some snotty weather bass. We were going to use Barnaget Light but, since I am unfamilar with the area, nonetheless at night we chose to stick with where Ive become comfortable as I am again new to boating.

We managed an early start thu the canal and out the inlet to be greeted by what I would think were 6'+. Already committed to the inlet we motored thru to somewhat calmer water. We conferred and agreed to head down the coast. Conditions did seem to vary but, overall improved.

We reached about 1.5 miles south of Seaside when we made contact via VHF with one other boat who reported 4 stripers in the boat already. Seas seemed to be intensifying and the winds continued. We opted to fish where we were as the sun was coming up and the area was covered with birds, although diving was scarce.

We managed to jig a 28" to the boat within a few minutes and in the box it went. The bite died and seas continued to get more rough. By this time my BIL is now sick and not improving. Because he wasn't feeling well and the increasing seas we decided we would troll as we headed back towards MI. Dropped the umbrella rigs w/eel lures and within minutes we had another 28" in the box. Dropped again and a little later we boated a 34" stripe. Seas are now worse and we decided on one more troll and then it was time to move to the inlet. Dropped them again and a few minutes later BANG! A big hit and nothing. Brought in the trollig weight only. The braided line was cut clean about 3" below the weight  rgmn I am going to assume a big blue tried striking the weight??

After a long slow ride into the inlet Ralph continued to feel lousy. Made it back to the ramp to filet the fish and pull the boat. Another guy was there trying to pull a 26' - 28' Parker from the ramp (broken concrete and gravel) using a 2wd drive truck. That worked about as good as a condom with a hole in it. He sunk the wheels up to the hubs. We gave him and boat a tow out.

Our turn. Get the boat on the trailer on the first try despite current and wind. On the way out the trailer gets hung up on the broken concrete. After multiple repositions we manage to get an angle and cantelever the wheels up the concrete and out we go! (Sweet, huh? NOT). Pull off the ramp to find a blown tire and no spare.....

Go to STS for a tire (Sweet, huh? NOT!). No tires in stock. They can get it tomorrow. Make a call to the local Goodyear to find out that they have a used tire in the back (Sweet, huh? YES!). Off to Goodyear, tire on, back home we go.

If you were out you know conditions weren't the best. After a day in the slop, 3 fish in the box and home safe we couldn't complain too much. After all it wasn't work  clp

Well, the new (to me) boat has been good to me during the short time I had her. I have a punch list for the winter so, I think I will now put her to rest unless weather really stays nice.

Thanks for everyone's help making this a great learning experience and now successful fishing season for me. I cannot wait till next year!

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: 11/22 IBSP Bassin in the Slop (?? last of the season??)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
NOW THAT"S.. a fishing trip clp

Great report. that;s one you'll remember t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
Great trip and report Fred. Good to hear you had a decent first season with the new-to-you boat. It'll only get better as you get experienced in the area.  t^

Sucks that you had a problem at the ramp.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »
Nice catch! t^

Offline FishOn

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »
Congrats on the successful adventure. Just a suggestion though. When the forecast is sporty, read through all of Kayak1's posts about kayak fishing the area you launched your boat. Some great back bay spots in both the bay and river in that area especially in the dark on a weekday. No need to burn 40 gallons and surf the inlet. (though I must admit I haven't caught a damn thing in that area in the past couple outings)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:29:58 AM by FishOn »
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline bossross

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »
Great trip Fred!

Over the winter look into a wire line outfit for trolling. It will serve you better than braid for trolling.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 05:14:26 AM »
Way to go Fred clp clp Glad your getting more comfy with your boat. It takes time to get comfy with a new boat and you seem to be doing fine! The best is yet to come.........Nice pix's by the way glad you finally got to land a few.  Have a great winter and be safe spring is just around the corner chrz chrz chrz chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-