Author Topic: "Jon" Boat Question?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
"Jon" Boat Question?
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
I am starting to shop around for a small jon type boat for freshwater and hopefully the River/Bay.  Should I be looking more at aluminum or more at fiberglass, or does it really matter?  From my limited boat knowledge, I believe, it is much harder to fix up and modify aluminum boats?  So, I guess it would really depend on the condition of the boat and what it already had in it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TT^

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: "Jon" Boat Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21:24 AM »
how big do you need ,I always use alum. for my small boat use ,I can put a small moter on the back and it will move nice ,glass is heavey and needs a bigger moter most times.I use a 14' alumin. for all my small water needs w/ a 9.9 on the back and it is nice and easy to work alone ,I went out the other day alone and it was easy to put on and off the trailer.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:29:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I am looking in the 14 foot range.

TT^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
I started out with a 12' Aluminum, with a 9.9 hp. I ran out of comfort space in a hurry!
I moved up to a 14' with a 25 hp. A aluminum boat is a little more forgiving to rocks  then a fiberglass boat. I have fished this boat in the bays and have towed it to NY for the Salmon run and is used on the Delaware all the time. Somethings to keep in mind, You said your going to use it in the rivers, do the rivers you plan on using the boat have a strong current, with the strong current the little extra horsepower on a 14 footer makes a nice difference. On the flip side of that a lot of lakes in the area have a 9.9 limit, also in a lot of the bays you are in a "NO WAKE ZONE" most of the time. My 14' has a open floor plan nothing to climb over, most of the time I use 2 pedestal seats with the option for a 3rd. The open floor plan is nice when your alone and have to drop or bring up the anchor. Hope my input helps good luck TT^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
aluminum is lighter and you can take it from place to place easier.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
I've had both. For convienence and mobility alum.is the way to go. Fiber.is heavier and some what more stable but might require more HP to move.That could be good or bad according to the area you fish and if there are any HP restrictions.
A Tornado(2001) and some trees took care of My Alum.  rgmn

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
Good advice as usual so far.. I would suggest you take the word "Jon" out of the equasion.. After selling small boats for many years, I feel you will greatly limit yourself with a Jon.. Smaller models (under 16') usually have low sides (freeboard) and small weight capacities for their size.. So they are usually way out of their element in any saltwater environment. Also, the flat bottom will knock your teeth loose in any kind of chop, and the flat bows on most will plow into  waves rather than cut thru.. IMO a V or Semi-V hull will be much more versatile and SAFER!! I have a 14' V that i can throw in the back of my pickup, but it easily handles my copious behind, a buddy, and our gear.. I learned about the dangers of Jonboats the hard way, in the bloom of my youth.. but luckily, lived to tell about it   thud  Good luck with your search!  chrz

Offline olclamman

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
if  you get one  BE Careful  THEY ARE NOT CALLED
    WIDOW MAKERS  FOR NO REASON
                         OC

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49:21 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info.  I guess I really should have looked around during the off season.  This will most likely be something that won't happen until next season...but I will be looking now.  I will definitely be careful, no matter what type of boat I eventually get. 

I will be staying away from any type of "jon" boat for saltwater use...and probably even for freshwater.  My father had a flat bottom Carolina Skiff when I was a teen and I quickly remembered how horrible it rides in the water.  I am mostly looking for a lake boat that I can take out in freshwater, but if it can double as a bay boat that would be great!  There are days I get the itch to go crabbing, but don't want to be bothered with the dock crowds.  I guess I could always do it olclamman style...walk and scoop.

Thanks

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-