Author Topic: 2-Stroke Oil  (Read 7736 times)

Offline TurboDan

2-Stroke Oil
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:05:24 PM »
Thank God I found this forum, because I know they'd rip me to shreds at the boating forum I frequent for asking this question!  ;D

As I mentioned in the new member thread, I'm buying my first "seaworthy" boat Saturday.  It's an 18-foot May-Craft with a 2001 90HP Johnson OceanPro.  In my old boat, a little 14-footer, I just had a 6-gallon tank and mixed the oil myself 50:1 every time I filled it up.  My new boat will have a built in tank and the oil is dispensed from a cannister into the engine.  The cannister sits in a compartment near the stern, next to the battery.

Just wondering how this all works.  I looked in the engine's manual and couldn't really find anything specific.  It mostly passed over this area, believe it or not.

How often does one fill one of these cannisters?  Does the oil last as long as the tank of gas, or do you have to fill it more frequently? 

Just wondering the basics on this, and would be very appreciative if someone could help me out.  Tune in Saturday night for a slew of questions on livewells.  TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 2-Stroke Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:33:33 PM »
Turbo, Is the tank positioned so you can see the level of oil in it?  If so, Meaning you are new to the boat/motor, I would check the level in the tank every trip.  Then, it's just a matter of filling the oil tank when needed.  You will soon get the knack of when you will be running low on oil in the tank.  I beleave most tanks will hold about two and a half gallons, but I may be wrong on this.

Always carry an extry gallon or two of oil, just in case you need it when on the water.  You don't want to run a 2-stroke without the oil mixing with the fuel.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:48:55 PM »
Turbo,

Welcome to the site. I have 95 evinrudes almost the same engines. Just fill the oil reservoir, and there should be a primer ball, in the line to the engine, by the tank. Prime that like the fuel lines, till the ball gets hard. then the engine will pull the oil by itself. You should have to only prime them if the tanks are empty, which you should never let happen. Most boats have alarms for the low oil level and if the engine isn't getting oil, not 100% sure on your model, may want to check the manual. If your getting oil there should be plenty of smoke from the engines. Watch the levels after your trips to make sure there going down, this means oil is being used. As to how often you have to fill them I don't know. It varies per engine.

Happy Fishing Good Luck with the boat. TT^
Vinnie
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:13:37 PM »
I run a (self)rebuilt 1993 115 evenrude..  I was concerned with the oil pump failing and keeping the tank full as alot of people are.

If you let the tank run dry or loose prime and your alarm doesn't work  it takes 3 minutes to toast your engine. Thats a 4k new top end Min.

The best advise I got was..  Find the hose that leads to the engine/ remove it / cap it / and mix your fuel 50-1 or a spec'd for your engine.  All worries gone. Fact is when your injection starts to fail it fails on the possitive side since the mechanics of the oil pump are using the vacuum of your engine..when the seals start to go it starts adding too much oil.  This leads to sluggish engines and carbin build up..  which leads to major problems.

A 7 year old engine should be fine.  but if you ever want to not worry.  Just mix it up when you fill. 

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:40:07 PM »
I like Hotrod's idea about premixing but it can get dicey when youre talking 100+ gals of fuel and/or you dont know what it will take to fill...Also I thought the latest tech was some sort of variable ratio (actually VRO is not new at all) adding more oil at high loads/speeds and less when idling/trolling so that runs contrary to premix.

When I was running jetskis removing the pump and running premix was the only way to go cuz Kawi used the cheapest pcs of c#@p pumps they could find and they always failed, destroying pistons and rings if youre lucky and the motor if youre not. Outboards a bit more reliable but same potential exists.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Yea..  Easy for me with a 40 Gallon Tank t^

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »
Hi All,

There are safeguards built into the fuel delivery system to limit the rpms if the oil drops below a certain level.

Also, the onboard computers can vary the oil/air/fuel mix to optimixe combustion. If you premix, that cannot be done.

DO NOT DISCONNECT ANY OF THAT SYSTEM!

Like people said, look at the reservoir level and add oil as needed. You will begin to notice how much oil you use under different conditions. For example, on a typical day I use one quart of oil round trip from dock to fishing grounds and back.

Premixing oil, while it sounds effective, certainly is not.

If you want, I will volunteer to come and help you go over the boat, check your safety equipment and electronics and even go out on a trip with you. We can also talk about proper dockline techniques if you plan to keep the boat in the water!

Good luck,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:51:15 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »
Thank God I found this forum, because I know they'd rip me to shreds at the boating forum I frequent for asking this question!  ;D

As I mentioned in the new member thread, I'm buying my first "seaworthy" boat Saturday.  It's an 18-foot May-Craft with a 2001 90HP Johnson OceanPro.  In my old boat, a little 14-footer, I just had a 6-gallon tank and mixed the oil myself 50:1 every time I filled it up.  My new boat will have a built in tank and the oil is dispensed from a cannister into the engine.  The cannister sits in a compartment near the stern, next to the battery.

Just wondering how this all works.  I looked in the engine's manual and couldn't really find anything specific.  It mostly passed over this area, believe it or not.

How often does one fill one of these cannisters?  Does the oil last as long as the tank of gas, or do you have to fill it more frequently? 

Just wondering the basics on this, and would be very appreciative if someone could help me out.  Tune in Saturday night for a slew of questions on livewells.  TT^
the oil mixed with the gas automatically..  I fill mine after every 2 full tanks of gas.  Keep checking it and have extra on board incase you run out.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 11:46:25 PM »

If you want, I will volunteer to come and help you go over the boat, check your safety equipment and electronics and even go out on a trip with you. We can also talk about proper dockline techniques if you plan to keep the boat in the water!

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Thanks!  I'm getting the boat Saturday, and it comes with all of the electronics that I'm going to have to learn, as well as my first livewell and genuine electrical system.  Granted, from frequenting boats since I was little, I know the basics, but I'm still a newbie on the ins and outs of everyday usage.  This boat is going to be alot different than the little 14' Starcraft I had for many years.  I already had a slip (Lightning Jack's Manasquan River) for my old boat, so I'll be keeping the new boat in the slip 'til they kick me out in December.  ;D

I would very much appreciate you taking a look someday when you're free!  Most of these things seem to be in the "easy once you know 'em" category, but learning for the first time will be an interesting experience, and getting a few tips from someone experienced would be awesome.  Maybe there'd be time for a bit of fishing too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 11:49:43 PM by TurboDan »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 11:54:48 PM »
Listen to Ed "do not discontect any of the system"

I run a 225 2 Stroke Yamaha, I top off the oil tank after every trip. Depending on my travels between 1-2 gals. I always keep 2 gals of oil on the boat "just in case" better to be safe than sorry..........

Just make it part of your rotine when you get back to the dock to check and fill the oil. TT^

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 12:01:49 AM »
Hi TurboDan,

I am very close to Lightning Jacks. When you get me a chance, drop me a PM or call me at 732-859-1212 and we can figure something out. I used to have a boat at a private dock very close to there.

Drinks on me afterwards ...

Wait a minute - I guess I should ask which Lightning Jacks as there are 3 I believe. Are you on the Metedeconk near the Pilot House?

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:05:39 AM »
Hi TurboDan,

I am very close to Lightning Jacks. When you get me a chance, drop me a PM or call me at 732-859-1212 and we can figure something out. I used to have a boat at a private dock very close to there.

Drinks on me afterwards ...

Wait a minute - I guess I should ask which Lightning Jacks as there are 3 I believe. Are you on the Metedeconk near the Pilot House?

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Cool!  Sounds fun!  Of the three Lightning Jack's, I'm at #3.  ;D

It's the one on the Manasquan River, on Ridge Road. (Down the road from the Bricktown recycling center.)  Wouldn't mind being at the other one though next year.  I love the Pilot House!

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 12:11:57 AM »
Hi TurboDan,

This weekend is bad along with Monday and Wednesday.

Any other day/evening should work after that ... my small CC is at Baywood marina. We can run over there to give you some ideas how I set it up if time permits.

Drinks at the Pilot House to celebrate your new boat (LOL).

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 12:28:23 AM »
Actually, that works out well.  I work for a newspaper, and Thursdays and Fridays are half-days for us.  I'm familiar with where Baywood is.  Nice facility and the price can't be beat.  If I didn't live literally a block from the Manasquan River marina, I'd definitely dock over there.

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 11:57:34 PM »
Well, I haven't been around this weekend because I've been enjoying the hell out of my new boat!  Haven't done any fishing yet, as I'm still getting used to everything and learning the ropes as far as all the new electronics and such.  But, it's been a great couple days! 

The guy selling it came down to my marina, and I had our mechanic Al take a look.  Basically, Al couldn't believe how clean everything looked, and how spot on every test he did on it came out.  His quote to me as "you hit a home run this one."  As soon as I got the OK from him, I handed the seller the bank check, he gave me the title and all of his boating "stuff," since he's not buying another boat, and he even dropped it in the water.  All-around nice experience, with a good guy selling the boat and the positive review from the mechanic.

Capt. Ed - Still would love to catch up with you sometime.  Maybe this Thursday or Friday.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 12:05:13 AM »
hey turbo.. congrats on your new ride.. the only problem your going to have now is trying to keep the weather your favor since the season is ending...   I hope all works out for ya

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 12:09:29 AM »
Thanks Luna!

Ugh, I know, it's October 8 already.  My marina will let me stay in 'til December, so I'm hoping for continued good weather in October and a warm (enough) November.  Figure I'll start a new tradition of a family boat ride on Thanksgiving morning this year! 

And if it's cold, eh, at least I have a windscreen on this boat.  ;D ;D

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 12:11:46 AM »
thats good, I have to be out by Nov. 1st...  Did you take a picture of your new ride.. i am sure there are many that would like to see it...  Enjoy it... it is the best time you will ever have... there is nothing like being on the water..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »
Turbo, I'm glad to see everything turned out well at the mechanical end.  Now all you need do is put the fish on it.

Good luck with your new acquisition and with your fishing. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »
Congrats Turbo  ;D Lets see some pics, Preferably with fish on the boat. t^
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-