Author Topic: 20 ft boat offshore?  (Read 10048 times)

Offline LotzoFish

20 ft boat offshore?
« on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
hi all.

i have a 20 ft cc with high transom and good beam. my friend keeps trying to talk me into going off shore. I am very skeptical and nervous about a long run offshore, I only have single engine. but the thought of bonito and other offshore species gets me thinking, any thoughts or input sould be helpful I do have full electronics and vhf

thanks john
Later for now,

John

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: 20 ft boat offshore?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »
You will be fine if you check the weather, keep an eye on it while your out there, and use the 1/3 gas rule... 1/3 fuel going out, 1/3 coming back, and 1/3 as a reserve.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
Depends on what you consider offshore. 30 miles off land is still considered inshore in NJ. Canyons are considered off shore. If running 20 miles east straight off of coast, you should be fine on a good day.

Someone fills my tank up for gas for that trip and I am heading out that far too for bonita :) in my 21' single engine CC  t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »
thats where the 1/3 fuel rule comes from.. Go as far offshore as you want as long as you only use 1/3 of fuel to get there.  That should be your range to be safe.. 1/3 back, and the other 1/3 is for emergencies such as weather, tide, etc..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:50:52 PM by Luna Sea 3 »

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »
As Luna said, check the weather.  If you have a good window weather wise, no reason you can't go to the mud hole. 
You best bet, buddy up with another boat, if possible.  And don't forget to leave a float plan with someone letting them know where you intend to fish and your anticipated arrival time back to port.  That way, if something does happen, someone will know you are overdue and can give the CG a reasonable area to begin their search.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:46:57 PM »
sea tow and go
t^

Offline LotzoFish

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »
thanks all, still have to think it over, a nice fish is not worth my life. Sea tow is a great idea, already priced it out and will join before the season starts. I have been about 5 miles out from the cape may rips, but i could just still see land. Guess I still dont really trust GPD, maybe this year i cut the cord and go out. anybody got some nice GPS numbers for the near shore spots? would appreciate it. looking forward to meeting up sith some of ya and posswibley getting together for some fishing and shareing, sitting here playing with all the new stuff i have to install on my boat...dang snow comming down  bngh..wont be too long now t^

later
   John  humptyrn@comcast.net
Later for now,

John

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
John.  I was in your shoes a few years ago.  I run a 19 Foot CC With 32" gunnel's pushed by a single 115 Rude. I now run 5-6 miles out without a flinch.  would I go past that.  I don't think so.. You never know what the sea can turn to.  But if you want to hit the inshore reefs..

I'd made sure "

1) I had Sea tow.  If I broke down.. no biggy.
2) a sea anchor is a must ( if you break down it will keep you into the waves.
3) radio (VHF)
4) GPS to get there and back

Where do you go out.For the first time breaking an inlet it's nice to have a buddy boat near you.. ;D

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »
i HAVE A 1730 AND i TAKE IT 10 MILES OUT , JUST LIKE THEY SAY , WATCH  chrzTHE FORCAST
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
Two things to add........

Cell phone (just in case)

and have a float plan and tell someone where you will be and when you should be in TT^

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »
And some of this is seasonal too.  In the summer, the Bermuda high usually keeps things reasonably calm, but afternoon thunderstorms can get things a little riled up.  In the fall and winter, there are less thunderstorms, but the Bermuda high is gone and there can be decent swells any day of the week, including the sunny, nice ones.

I just got my first "ocean enabled" boat in October and haven't gone more than a mile or two off the beach.  I plan on fishing the Sea Girt and Axel Carlson reefs next season, which are between 2-5 miles out.  I'll see where I am by August-September or so and determine if I want to try for some bonito, but for the start I'm sticking to inshore waters 5 miles or less.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:44:57 PM by TurboDan »

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »
Some more advice, do what I did and invest in a handheld VHF powered by AA batteries (and carry spares) and get yourself a backup GPS as well 9also powered by AA batteries) and put your home port in there and also a close point of land to where you may be ( I have Keyport in mine and the tip of sandy hook as well).

Aside from fishing on my pops boat (becuase I know he has both as well as 2 mounted GPS on boat), they will be in my carry on bag no matter who's boat I may fish on this season. I don't plan on going too far from shore myself, but let me tell you, having a hand held gps as a backup is a BIG plus when fog rolls in on the bay and you can't see 10' in front of you and your main gps is down.

Just ask the clowns to puled up to my pops last year 100 yards off the beach asking my dad where dry land was.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 07:23:58 PM »
fog is not good,, do you remember that day Mike.. wow

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
Sure do, but I am not talking about going out in fog. Just when it sneaks up on you (kind of like it did that day, especially closer to shore.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
Plus just to add, make sure you have good charts and a zeroed in compass.  Plus a handheld AM radio. 

What is the AM radio for?  It can tell you where the AM radio stations towers are.  99% of all AM radio stations on the east coast are within spitting distance of a large body of water.  And most if not all radios house the AM antenna inside the case length wise.  When you tune in a good loud (strong) station gets call sign like WOR.  Then turn the radio till the signal nulls or lowers in volume this point the stations antenna can be found simply by looking along the top of the radio, then on the chart to find the stations tower location and bingo you have a pretty good idea of what is between you and the stations antenna.

This method is a very simple form of loran.  Use your compass once you come across a marker and simply mark it on the chart with a grease pencil and proceed slowly.

Be prepared for anything when going to sea and you will come home safe, maybe late but safe non the less.

Happy Catching

Paul
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:43:48 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 08:02:13 PM »
if the boat is mechanicaly sound it will make out there fine,,, but if youre nervous and scared then i'd recoment going with someone you know has been out there this way you can feel safer and learn from him,,  t^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »
Every one makes good points here.I think it strongly depends on a good mechanically running boat, pick your good day weather wise,have a dependable crew (people that can run the boat ,read charts,speak on the VHF,and help you out should the weather turn bad (not tourist). Sea tow, Bout US A must.Go out and take longer and longer trips and build up knowledge, confidence and experience.You will be fine. Good Luck, AJ

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »
Go with a buddy who can run the boat if something happens to you, AND if possible go with another boat as you only have a single engine....

The weather can definitely sneak up on you and we all know NOAA can "miss the boat" on occasion   bngh

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 10:50:48 AM »
Having a small kicker motor 10-15HP is never a bad idea. Its great for trolling which I understand is not good for some large outboards. And will get you home if your Main engine fails.  ;)
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 11:25:27 AM »
Having a small kicker motor 10-15HP is never a bad idea. Its great for trolling which I understand is not good for some large outboards. And will get you home if your Main engine fails.  ;)
A small kicker will get you home if your in the bay, but considering that this tread is about off shore, I wouldn't rely on a kicker as the current can move your boat faster then the kicker can in the opposite direction.  Spend the money for unlimited tow with Sea Tow, or Boat US and don't waste it for a kicker. IF YOUR OFFSHORE.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-