Author Topic: Salt Crusted Sea Bass  (Read 4105 times)

Offline TedSki

• TedSki.Net
Salt Crusted Sea Bass
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:08:27 PM »
I learned this recipe from a Brit friend of mine.  You would think with the amount of salt used, the fish would taste salty.  Quite the opposite.  You will achieve the most flavorful, moistest fish ever.  Use coarse, unground sea salt for best results, however, you can substitute kosher salt.

2 large bags coarse, unground sea salt (about 4 lbs)
1 lemon
fresh herbs (i.e. parsley, tarragon, dill)
whole, cleaned Sea bass

Preheat oven to 475ºF.  Stuff the cavity of the fish with lemon slices or wedges, and your choice of fresh herbs.  Ensure you stuff the cavity very full.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.  Spread a layer, about 3/4" deep of sea salt.  Lay the stuffed fish on the salt, ensuring the cavity is stuffed/overstuffed enough that salt will not get into the cavity.  Layer another 3/4" of salt on top of the fish.  Fold up the edges of foil to contain the salt.  Do not wrap the fish in the foil.  Sprinkle top layer of salt with some water to aide a crust forming.  Bake for 10 minutes per pound of fish.  Remove from oven, and let rest for 15 minutes.  Break off salt crust, being careful to not break the skin of the fish.  This will cause the fish to taste salty.  Transfer to a platter, garnish with herbs and lemon wedges, serve.

This and other recipes on my site at http://food.tedski.net/

Offline vespo

Re: Salt Crusted Sea Bass
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:24:46 PM »

Salt crusting is a great technique for cooking just about any fish that you'd want to serve whole. Despite the massive amount of salt, the fish does not pick up a huge amount of salt flavor. Basically the salt acts as a very tight fitting oven, and the fish steams itself from the inside.

If you're a fan of the food network, you'd agree that good results are had if you mix just enough egg white into the salt to make it moist- the egg white helps the salt stay together before heating, and helps it harden into a shell and seal in the moisture a little better.

All in all, it produces very moist and juicy flesh that absorbs a LOT of flavor from the herbs! I'd try it with Striper, but could you imagine the amount of salt you'd need for a 30" fish, assuming you can even fit the thing in your oven to begin with!
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline TedSki

• TedSki.Net
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »
If you're a fan of the food network, you'd agree that good results are had if you mix just enough egg white into the salt to make it moist- the egg white helps the salt stay together before heating, and helps it harden into a shell and seal in the moisture a little better.
I've never heard the egg white trick.  I find that a little water sprinkled on top works.  I wet a bbq brush with water and sprinkle by striking the brush bluntly onto my hand.  Works fine for me.  I'll have to give the egg white trick a try.

I'm not a fan of the Food Network, only because I don't watch TV.  I know, so anti-american of me!

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
You should visit the food network web site for recipes with fish. I've tried quite a few and most of the come out delish. My girlfriend not a big fan of fishy dishes love it when i cook them. However fresh catch isn't like fish from the store.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Red_Cherokee

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:03:54 AM »
Will try this one for sure.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:06:09 AM »
Boy that sounds good.  I will have to definitely try it, thanks.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-