Author Topic: Rev limiter  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Baitwaster

Rev limiter
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:52:11 AM »
I have a 2010 Mercruiser V6 mag and am thinking that it could turn a little faster than the 4700 rps that it cuts out at. Can this be changed? Is the limiter in the distributor or is it a computer type thing like a chip that will have to be changed? I dont think a V6 would mind turning 5200 or so. Thanks Frank.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: Rev limiter
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
Engine performance/RPM's are related to the propellor size & pitch, as well as the trim of both the outdrive and hull,and fuel flow.

What are the recommended max rpm's from Merc? I'm not too sure I am not too sure I would want to run that engine over 4800 rpm's,they are costly to repair/replace.

I would suggest trim/load weight adjustment to get maximum speed, prop changes would be my second choice, depending on hole shot or speed, which ever you are looking for. 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
Engine performance/RPM's are related to the propellor size & pitch, as well as the trim of both the outdrive and hull,and fuel flow.

What are the recommended max rpm's from Merc? I'm not too sure I am not too sure I would want to run that engine over 4800 rpm's,they are costly to repair/replace.

I would suggest trim/load weight adjustment to get maximum speed, prop changes would be my second choice, depending on hole shot or speed, which ever you are looking for. 

I would agree with Fishin Dude--I tried to find the info for you but--looks like 4400-4800 max on that engine--And I agree ck prop for more speed--with load--

What I will say is play with trim before you make any changes--I have seen from 50 years --people just don't do it----My 224 Chap will run at 43 mph trimmed down and 52 up--Just saying--BIG Diff.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »
As mentioned, you don't want to run that motor over the Manufactures Max Rpm which you should be reaching or close to it at wide open throttle.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-