Author Topic: keeping killies alive  (Read 4392 times)

Offline beachwalker

keeping killies alive
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »
Hi, new to this forum i do alot of surf fishing for fluke and herd i can keep killies alive without water by putting them on wet newspaper over ice in a small cooler. Does anyone no how to do this without killing the killies?
Thanks in advance

Offline mgm

Re: keeping killies alive
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
I have a small cooler that I fill with ice in a plastic bag on the bottom.....I cover the ice with a towel wrapped board that snugs up to the sides of the cooler so there is a tight seal over the ice...I suppose newspaper works as well.....I've bought killies the night before fishing and put them over the wet towel, making sure not to let any fresh water cover the killies......works for me...they will keep for a day or so that way.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
I use a small cooler and cut a piece of plexi glass to fit the inside of the cooler then place a frozen ice pack under the plexi glass tell your tackle shop you want your DRY they will scoop then from their tank into your cooler. THATS IT DONE killies stay alive  cfzd 
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
Here's what I use when taking killies on a party boat...

Take a small soft side cooler and put ice in the bottom. Place a cheap plastic container in the cooler (I use the type with the blue lids) and surounding it with the ice.

Cut out the lid of the container leaving only a small lip to help prevent the killies from bouncing out.

Put the killies in the plastic container.

Offline beachwalker

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »
Thanks for all the help the board and plexiglass make alot of sense will  try them.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
Key is to keep the killies out of the ice melt water.

I usually fill a small cooler with ice then place a damp toel over the ice & lay the killies on the towel. have kept killies alive like that for up to 3 days.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-