Author Topic: Fish On 5/4/08 "Their back and all grown up"  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
Fish On 5/4/08 "Their back and all grown up"
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »
 Over the next three weeks the Raritan bay should produce world class striper fishing. Despite tough weather conditions some did manage to pick the right time to fish. On the Staten Island side Michael’s Bait and Tackle had a decent number of fish weighed in from the teens into the 30 lb range however the big story this weekend was a few monster weak fish from 14 to 16 pounds taken from both surf and boat off Staten Island. Most big fish are coming from the north. Great Kills Harbor remains loaded with bunker schools and most didn’t need to go far for bass. The harbor also produced a few bass up to 30 lbs and big blues patrolled the mouth and back walls keeping bunker corralled up like an all you can eat buffet.

Outside the bay from Atlantic Highlands south to Barnegat Bay bluefish,keeper bass and even weakfish are starting to pick up along the shore. Ocean temps in the mid 50’s and water clarity is amazing for poppers. It’s a time of year you can try jigs, lures, poppers and plugs and have a blast with swarms of bluefish. Charters and Party boats are in full swing and this is the time they have all been waiting for.

I received some great reports this week and others were the complete opposite. It’s still a 50/50 on bass if you can get past the blue demons. Another 10 days and it should bust wide open. Don’t wait charters are booking quick and for most of them May and June are booked solid. If you’re looking for a charter NJSaltwaterfisherman.com has plenty of veteran charter captains who will find you those trophy fish. With just about every species of fish showing up early this year we could see a few record size fish in the coming weeks.

Fish On
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:03:51 PM by Fishonw/Ron »

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: Fish On 4/4/08 "Their back and all grown up"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
 TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »
Good info.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
Re: Fish On 5/4/08 "Their back and all grown up"
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »
good report,have to agree t^
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »
Nice report Ron.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »
Good report Ron, I love this time of year.  The weather temps are just right and the fishing is fantastic.  Just remember to follow the info and you should be into fish.

Read the reports and check the tide tables for an incoming tide and you should be good to go.

Remember for the bays you have to figure in the lag times as the bay empties out much slower than the ocean can influence it.  Mid bay around Seaside Heights the bay has about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour lag time.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »
Great report Ron! t^

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »
Your report, sir, has given me hope. Hope for a fish that any man would be proud to slather in butter, squirt with lemon and grill to perfection. I would then take such a prize and share it with those nearest and dearest to this unworthy soul.
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-