Author Topic: Fuel Flow Management  (Read 2852 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Fuel Flow Management
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:54:33 AM »
I am considering adding a fuel flow management device to the boat this year. I believe I have only a 60+ gallon tank in boat (I will measure it this season to determine exact capacity) and I want to be able to dial in the range to get more fishing time. My considerations are (A) Floscan and (B) fuel flow sensor via my Garmin chartplotter.

Floscans seems the be nearly $300 and the sensor for the garmin is in the $150 range. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these units? I don't want to make a descision based soley on economics but, looking at details the Garmin might be the right choice for me. It networks to my current unit, provides flow and tank level information but, stores it as well.

Any opinion is welcomed.

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Capt. Rich K

• Sponsor
Re: Fuel Flow Management
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »
I had floscan on my last 2 boats and they work great no problems cost is a little more but a quality is great.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
I have a Lowrance LMF-200 fuel meter.  I removed the gas gauge and it fits in the same size hole 2 1/8".  The gauge can also network with other systems on you boat. I see them online for $169. It has been accurate.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »
Eddie --did you remove the sending unit on the tank or does it just wire into it?

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »
Cool. The Garmin unit will serve as a management system and fuel gage. It attaches direct to the tank sending unit. I would still leave the analog gage since I would not always monitor the chartplotter's gage. I think the Garmin will calculate the best rpm range for most efficient fuel consumption.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
The Garmin sounds nice.
Eddie --did you remove the sending unit on the tank or does it just wire into it?

I disconnected the sending unit on the tank. The unit comes with an inline paddlewheel that you cut into  the fuel line before the motor, this measures gallons per hour and calculates how much fuel you have used. You can also hookup oil pressure, engine temp, and other devices to it. I have a full inboard boat.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
i have a floscan on my boat it is UNBELIEVABLY accurate tested it several times running it down and filling up ect ect
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »
Thanks, guys. I am going to look into both options. I have a message into Garmin. I think I need that NMEA2000 starter kit (~$100) + the $150 sensor. We shall see what happens.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-