Author Topic: Phyllis Ann BFT 7-28  (Read 11847 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Phyllis Ann BFT 7-28
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
Today The BBC consisted off.  Greg.. Jayson and Brother in law Rayz for his first Bluefin Tuna Trip.

Met at the boat around 4:Am..  Taking our time knowing there were a few nice storms in the area..  Waited one out and kept us at the dock until 6:AM..

With the lack of reports and any great intel.. We decided to head to where we had them last time and go on the hunt.

Arrived offshore to No Life.. and just a couple boats with nothing happening... So up on the troll we went..  Trolled every lump, Hump and Ripple.. with no life..

With Jason at the wheel and Ray on Fish watch we headed south.. about 15 miles in  Ray picked up some fish hitting bait on the top.... Jason directs the boat over the structure.. marked a couple fish but couldn't raise them back up..  for the next 45 minutes Jason hit that locating like a surgeon from every angle.  During our last of maybe 8 passes.. we called to pull the lines and head hard South.. When the rainbow spreader rod started peeling line like it was hit by a freight train!!..  yelling at Ray to grab the rod as it was almost spooled.. he took control and was in for his first bluefin fight of his life..  Having a hard time using the right handed Reel  and breaking in Greg's new Penn Rod..  on a TLD 20.. Ray was able to get this fish to the side of the boat and the first use of the Custom Gaff Jason just made us.  Tuna Tuna Tuna.. In the Boat.. 43"..

Trolled around for another hour or so.. with some life but no takes.  

At about 2:pm we started picking up some nice storm cells on the radar.. nothing in our path but we decided to call it and start heading in..  Dodged a few but nothing to be worried about..

20 miles in I decided to stop at the Noaa Buoy to try for some Mahi..  cut up some bait and started chucking.. Greg ties on 1/4 OZ bucktial  and Bam!!  Fish on!!..

After a nice aerial display.. Jason sent the gaff home and.. Mahi Mahi Mahi.. in the boat.. 13 lbs.. 43"

Headed for home.. dodging some more storms.. but I will say the Radar really gave us the advantage..

We worked Hard!!.. and we did what we went to do.. put a tuna in the boat..

Great Crew.. and another Bluefin cherry Popped..

GOPRO.. we rocked it..  great under water footage and all.. will need some time for this one..

[youtube=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWQ3MRhXQTg[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:34:15 AM by Hotrod »

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Phyllis Ann BFT 7-28
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »
Nice!  t^

Offline Duffman

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:53:06 PM »
VERY NICE!!!   

LOVE the war paint!!!!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:02:56 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
Nice detailed report  chrz
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
Way to go fellas!  clp   Congratulations Ray!  Great trip boys! t^

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
Nice going Rod  t^
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
Today's motto was:  "We ain't chasin' reports, we're makin' reports" and that's just what we did.

Rod & AutoPilot (Greg) got us out to where we left a fleet of boats and a decent amount of life on the previous trip.  Arriving at the spot, it was seemingly empty of life; human and fish.....Which kinda gave us the "we're in the wrong place" feeling.  We said screw it, (See motto) and got on the troll, hopping around on the structure showing on the Raymarine screen about 120 feet below the hull.  A few marks here and there, but nothing like we left 'em 2 weeks ago.  We knew we were gonna have to work hard if we wanted to have a productive trip. (See motto) ;D Rod's brother-in-law Ray, had the magic eye out there today, spotting 100% of the surface life we rolled up on from sharks to flying fish.  With Ray as our lead-off man, he was in the hot seat when something finally attacked the spread, and when it did, it attacked it hard!  Line was peeling off that TLD like a mother, creating that sweet symphony that only a fishing reel can do.  BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!  Ray-Ray got down with his bad self on his first tuna with flying colors, even though he was cranking on a lefty.  With the fish boatside, Rod sunk the steel in the beast and we boated our only tuna of the day.  A meaty 43 incher.  With storms outside our view for most of the day, we turned the Phyllis-Ann westward to bridge the gap to the dock, and trolled in to some waypoints we recorded from the last trip, which had some life, but no takers.  We threw in the trolling towel when storm cells started to pass our way back in.  Outriggers down, spread sucked back in and we were on our way to the homeport.  

Great call by Rod to stop and throw a quick jig around a buoy, with Greg hooking up on his first cast with a sweet mahi that gave us a nice aerial show which we can only hope was caught on the GoPro.   Was hoping for a few more of them, but it didn’t happen.  Greg must have pulled the one and only mahi that seemed to be hanging around.  Back into the Barnegat Inlet we steamed where we met our first raindrops of the day, despite all the little cells around through the trip.  Another great trip out, bringing the 2012 Phyllis-Ann record to 2 for 2, and accomplishing what we wanted to…(See motto).

Here's a quick video of a storm line we were skirting the edge of.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:18:22 AM by Hotrod »
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:43:48 PM »
Videos came out pretty cool.. A couple things learned.. Like keeping my big head away from the camera..  ;D

Offline rigsbydaniel

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 01:53:19 AM »
 clp chrz

Offline Mojoman

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:15:19 AM »
Good job guys
Gotta be in it to win it!!

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »
Very Cool Guys, Great reporting. I can feel your excitment Jason ;D Can't wait to see the go pro video t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline how many

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »
 clp   nice report and some good eats too  clp
member of round valley trout assoc. and eastern lake ontario trout and salmon assoc.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
Great trip and report guys...2 for 2 t^

Congrats Ray  TT^

That storm front looks wicked  cfzd
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:35:24 AM by Kenny »

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
 Slow as it was with lack of reports, we still pulled a nice successful trip.  The crew was awesome as usual. 

Dark side of the trip is we where about 50 yards from being spooled on that bluefin with the tld20. 

Line was peeling off like there was no tomorrow and it came down to a choice that was not hard decide,,, watch it get spooled or bump the drag up and hope for the best.

Bumped the drag up to just past the strike position which i had set at 15lbs. no effect,, line was still screaming off, i think i may have started to see the spool and honestly don't think i had a choice in the matter,  It was down to do or die. 

With out any further hesitation i jumped the drag full bore, 22lbs, we really didn't have any more time to try and bump it up in little bits, line was a precious commodity and we where out of it. All i could do was hope my connections would hold up, or i would never hear the end of it.

With max drag in play, he ran for a few more seconds and it happened,,,, he stopped. Holy smokes, did i just do what everyone swears you shouldn't and get away with it?!!! Damn am I glad i spent a few more bucks for good top quality mono, I'm positive it had a factor in this fight.

With initial run over, dropped the drag back down to strike range, stood back  and watched Ray get a work out bringing all that line back in, and work for every crank on that 800 feet of line he did.

Excellent job Ray, had to be close to a 20 minute fight. estimated weight puts it at 52lbs.

much needed rest after the fight

All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »
Great story Greg...didn't know you guys were that close to being spooled...

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »
I was in Barnegat Light about 1PM when the line was moving over IBSP there was a parade of boats hightailing through the inlet in front of it.  I said to my wife I would not want to be offshore without Radar on a day like today.  Glad the PA and crew made in safe and with some fish to boot.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
Very nice fish guys t^

Congratulations on another successful trip on the PA clp clp

Cool photos and video and real good eats too. slt chrz
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »
Awesome report and trip Rod !  clp  Congrats  to Ray and the whole crew!  t^  chrz  chrz

Offline JeffL

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
Nice trip fellas. Glad you guys made it back safe  t^
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-