Author Topic: What is up with the Fluking -Water Temp?-When does it usually get HOT  (Read 2067 times)

Offline rossg

We have had an 8lber and some 5lbers on the boat already from deep water but it is not consistent .Yesterday we got skunked. Best day we had the water temp was up to 72 after a north wind.
Whats up with the fluking.
Does anyone remember it being like this last year?????
When did the fishery turn consistent last year
We had the best fluke season last year and i am spoiled
Ross
The Lady J
Belmar

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Late July, and into August the Fluke turns on.. not in numbers as much as size.  As you can see the larger fish are finding there way to the boats, mostly due to water temp.  The deep  water wrecks take longer to warm then along the beach, and thats were a lot of large fish are.  Now the water temps out there is increasing.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
Last trip with my brother in law he noted that the fish we were catching seem to be new fish coming in nice and clean white bellies, maybe this is true
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
I firmly believe a lot of the larger fluke are in the deeper water and have been there since the beginning of the season and before.

I think the cold water shuts down their bite. They get somewhat lethargic with the cold water, not wanting to chase a bait.  My opinion anyway.

I started fishing deeper water (5-6 miles out!) for fluke about ten or more years ago. Most trips we did much better than those fishing close. We would come back with double digit catches with many of the fish going four pounds or better. But the water temps then were warmer and we didn't notice any draggers out there. Now, it seems we are a month behind with the weather conditions and there are draggers all over the deeper lumps.

With the water temps climbing the bite should start.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
My opinion is the same as yours Irish.. the only reason why it takes longer to get the larger fish, is because the larger fish are in deeper waters, and deeper waters take longer to heat. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-