Author Topic: Rod and Reel Choice For the Novice Surfcaster  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
Rod and Reel Choice For the Novice Surfcaster
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:41:38 PM »
If you are new to the world of SURFCASTING and are unsure of which rod to buy without breaking the bank then I would definitely give the TICA SURGE or TSUNAMI AIRWAVE a serious look over. A 9'er should be your length of choice at this stage in the game. Both of these rods are worthy sticks and will hold up to some serious sized fish. Look for a rating of 3/4oz to 3 or 4oz so you can throw those bombers, poppers and some A27s. The sweet spot on these rods are right around 1 3/4 to 2oz.
Some good reels to pair these rods up with that can handle the harsh effects of the salt would be the diawa coastal, Penn Slammer, Quantum Cabo or the Shimano Sphereos. Stick with a braid line of choice (mine would be sufix or diamond) in the 50# test.
Save the rods like the St. Croix, Lamiglas, Fenwick and/or custom made or reels like Van Staal or ZeebBass for when you have passed the learning curve!

Keep them Lines Tight!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:52:30 PM by Tacklebox Joe »

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Rod and Reel Choice For the Novice Surfcaster
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »
Good Info Joe t^

Offline keng8554

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
And how about for chucking clams?

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
The Rods I metioned are in regards to SURFCASTING and not surf fishing. If bait and wait is your game the TSUNAMI TROPHY SERIES rods in the 3 - 6 oz range would be my chunking stick of choice. I'm sure others who fish this method can add.....

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »
That's the same rod I use for chucking bait, Joe.
I'd recommend going with something that can handle up to 8ozs for bait though.  You may not need to throw 8 all the time, but when it gets rough out there, it's better to have the heavier rod.  I wish I went with the 8oz top end instead of the 6. 
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-