Author Topic: Going to try the Canal for weakfish tomorrow 4/17  (Read 3189 times)

Offline wink_man

Going to try the Canal for weakfish tomorrow 4/17
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
I'm going to head down to the Point Pleasant Canal tomorrow and see if any weakies are around. Low tide at the Manasquan Coast Guard Station is about 12:20pm, so there should be about 4 hours of good water to fish during the warmest part of the day. I still think it's to early, I think we need about another week of 70 degree sunny weather to warm up the water, but it has to be getting close.

I read a report that some weakies in the 24-26 inch class were landed this week around Waretown and the sod banks, but I can't confirm it, and not sure I believe it yet, unless it's spotted sea trout near the power plant area, and that doesn't mean much as far as where the migrating fish are.

I'll update tomorrow, hopefully with good news.

Garry

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Going to try the Canal for weakfish tomorrow 4/17
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »
good luck
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Sam3

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »
Good luck Garry,

Miss your posts on here as well as the other site.

grtn

Offline wink_man

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »
Good luck Garry,

Miss your posts on here as well as the other site.

grtn

Thanks for the kind words Sam, just haven't been on this site over the winter, as nothing going on, and I am in the process of building a couple of slug guns.

As for the other site, I left there long ago, poorly run, and poorly administrated, and while there are some great guys there, about 2 dozen morons are allowed to thrive there, a lot of good guys have left that site, and it's not for me.

Son is out fishing the inlet now, I'll report back if he did anything, but I haven't got a cell phone call from him, so I doubt it.

If anyone  wants to join me tomorrow, I'll be at the Canal at about noontime. Just take Arnold Ave in Point Pleasant to Pine Bluff Drive(right by Capt Ed's Resturant), take Pine bluff to the end at the fence by the canal, make a right and walk 200 yards to the end. You can't miss me, I'm the skinny guy with a goatee, in DIRE need of a haircut, that stands on the 2X6 steel frame past the end of the fence.

Oh, and if you park there, DON't park between the canal and the last cross street, it's a fire lane, and you'll get a ticket, park above the cross street.

Garry   

Offline wink_man

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:02:28 PM »
Son just checked in with me on the cell, he was fishing the end of the rocks on the Point Pleasant side of the inlet, using a blue back Bomber, and caught 2 short stripers. He said they weren't big, about 15 and 18 inches, but it's a start.

Garry

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »
Good job. Cant wait for those weakies to come in.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:09:47 PM »
Hey I fish in that same area from time to time, but i got a few upcoming days circled  ;D maybe ill bump into you.

I did most of damage south of there last year, how was it last may for bigguns

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
I'm going to head down to the Point Pleasant Canal tomorrow and see if any weakies are around. Low tide at the Manasquan Coast Guard Station is about 12:20pm, so there should be about 4 hours of good water to fish during the warmest part of the day. I still think it's to early, I think we need about another week of 70 degree sunny weather to warm up the water, but it has to be getting close.

I read a report that some weakies in the 24-26 inch class were landed this week around Waretown and the sod banks, but I can't confirm it, and not sure I believe it yet, unless it's spotted sea trout near the power plant area, and that doesn't mean much as far as where the migrating fish are.

I'll update tomorrow, hopefully with good news.

Garry

I've heard of afew guys trying but not alot being caught, but every day brings warmer water and hopefully more fish...  Try abit to the east of the mouth towards the bridge or on the lee side of the island if you need warmer water... GOOD LUCK
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:57:37 PM »
Hi Gary,

I will be on the back side of IBSP on Friday morning.  I will be trying flies and maybe bucktails.  We will be going in by A21 and walking south.  The water is pretty shallot there so it should be nice and warm.

I will be out there with Ash from the board it should be fun as I am hearing good reports.

Will post Friday night.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline wink_man

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »
Paul,
     I'll be anxious to hear how you made out, seeing how weakies usually are in down there first, The fish also tend to run bigger there than at the canal.

Today should be interesting, at 7am it was 37 degrees right by the bay, and rose to 51 degrees by 8:25am.

Garry

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »
I can't wait to hit the back areas tomorrow.  I have to go and get a new fly line I just checked mine and it is starting to crack.

Good thing I noticed it today I would hate to have something on and have it break off, not good.

I will be trying spearing mimics and grass shrimp look alike flies.

Ash will be going as well I think he will be using conventional bait.

They are saying it could reach 80 degrees, bring it on...

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 11:56:30 AM »
Good Luck Garry, Will be waiting for your report t^ t^ t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline tomc76

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »
Gary, might want to bring some clam, On the Angela Rose last saturday 2 tog were picked up, 1 keeper while flounder fishing.

Offline wink_man

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »
Headed to the Canal and was fishing by 11:30am, fished till 5PM. Water was crystal clear again, still to cold in my opinion. A little more weed in the water this week, and about 4PM, when the incoming tide from the inlet pushed up into the canal, water clarity decreased considerably. I fished a pink Fin_S on a 3/4 ounce jig, a 7 inch jointed floating Bomber, and  1 ounce sinking Cordell Spot so I could cover the water from top to bottom. Nada, zip, zero, not a hit, but still a nice day out. Tried all water levels to see if any schoolie stripers were around, but didn't appear to be.

I watched the water carefully as I was fishing, as it was crystal clear, and only saw 2 baitfish(looked like spearing). The comorants didn't appear to be catching any baitfish either.

Couple of guys fishing for flounder and tog, no flatties caught, about a half dozen tog caught, but only one keeper. Everyone appeared to be using sandworms for bait. One guy did mention that he caught 2 keeper flatties on the tide earlier this morning there.

Boat traffic was very light, a few guys anchored up in the river, but didn't appear to be doing much with the flatties either.

Still a little to early I guess. I got a confirmed report with a pic that a weakie was caught in Southern Barnegat Bay, 23 inches, 3 pounds.

Son wants to drag my sorry butt back out to the inlet shortly to try for schoolie stripers, we'll see who wins, LOL.

Garry

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
Couple more warm days and the water will be getting there.

Should break open soon.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-