Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal 6/04 ????  (Read 2195 times)

Offline wink_man

Point Pleasant Canal 6/04 ????
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
Thinking of heading to the canal at 4:30PM today, weather permitting. There's a good tide,  weather is overcast, and boat traffic should have been minimal with the weather forcast calling for thunderstorms throughout the day. I couldn't get there last night, as I had to play Mr Mom and go to a Scholarship Awards event at the high school. The little girl has no time to fish anymore, but I watched her reel in over 10 grand in scholarships last night. She is something else, blonde, beautiful, intelligent plus common sense, and can outfish most men I know when she does get the time.

I didn't go this morning because it was raining last night when I went to bed, and the forcast wasn't promising. I don't seem to do anywhere near as well in the afternoon/evening, as I do in the mornings, even with a favorable tide, it just seems to be the pattern this year. However, the main purpose in going this afternoon will be to try out a new outfit and get the braid line broken in. While I am pleased with the outfit I mentioned yesterday at 1 pound 4 ounces total weight, this one just might be the pinnacle of what I created as a 20 pound outfit that weighs 1 pound 1 ounce. I think one of the unseen or unnoticed advantages of the braid lines, is that you can adapt the right small freshwater reel to a saltwater rod and have enough line capacity to make it a true 15 or 20 pound outfit, capable of taking large fish in a lightweight package that can be casted and jigged effortlessly all day with one hand. I just may write a little treatsie on it, expressing my ornery opinion if I get the time.

Oh, and I see lost9340 joined the site. great kid, and a good fisherman(I heard he had a great mentor, LMAO). He takes good fish, and knows his stuff, now if I can get him to realize that education is the key, and he needs to save money, he may just live long enough to continue catching big fish, LOL.

Garry

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
Re: Point Pleasant Canal 6/04 ????
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »
Nice fish  t^

NJDEVIL >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:46:03 PM »
Nice write up Garry, as always.
Congrats to your daughter on her scholarship funds.  t^
I'm sure your son is on the right track in life as well.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
great report

Offline wink_man

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »
Stopped down at the canal at 4:30PM this afternoon, fished till about 8PM. My son went a little ahead of me and was trying frozen herring he had, and he had a striper on, about 24 inches, and lost it right at the net. I fished the spot we've been catching stripers, and didn't do anything except 2 bluefish. After the tide switched, I saw a lot of birds working the mouth of the canal at the river, so I headed down that way to see if I could catch a few more blues and check out the action of this new rod. Put on an ava007, as you could see rainfish jumping out of the water with bluefish right on their tails. Caught half a dozen, and then got another wind knot and called it quits. The new rod is great, but the reel is no good with braid, don't know what it is, but it's the second spool I've gone through in a day.I'm trying hard to keep this outfit under 1 pound 2 ounces, but have to go a different route. I'm thinking an Okuma Epixor 30 at 10 ounces, but the rod is 7 ounces, and with line, etc, it will put me over the mark. I need to find a small reel, that holds about 200 yards of 8 LB mono and weighs 7 ounces. This reel I tried, met those specifications, but can't seem to handle braid line.

Water was clear, cabbage and weed minimal except on fast moving water, only 1 boat went through the canal this evening, and there are plenty of blues at the canal entrance. I'll prolly give it s serious shot in the morning, the tide is a little to late for my liking, but I've only caught 1 striper in the afternoon so far, all the rest have come in the morning.

Garry

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:17:26 PM by wink_man »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »
Nice report Gregg. I hope you can find a reel you like for that setup.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »
Congrats on the scolorshipe aword. i got 1 whin i was yunger butt my ma and pa spent it on crack.............. t^ Good for you and your daughter.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
They need to rename that Canal to "The Wink_Man Canal"

Welcome to the Site Wink Jr t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-