Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal/Manasquan Inlet and beach 6/25  (Read 2418 times)

Offline wink_man

Point Pleasant Canal/Manasquan Inlet and beach 6/25
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »
Just got back from Beantown, and I heard I was missed, LMAO. 2 ex wives would disagree vehemently with that statement, but they do call them EX'S for good reason.

Was up in Boston for daughters college orientation. Her first choice college, supposedly the 11th most prestigious in the nation accepted her, and off we went. Of course once I get the bill, any fishing reports will be over and done with, as I won't be able to buy any Fin-S fish, nor afford the gallon of gas it takes to get to the canal and back, LMAO. But the girl is a mover and shaker, and going places in life, so she will get the education she needs from her father, wether I fish or not.

She says she will take care of me in old age(I'm writing up a contract now).

Anyways, I was away for Sun. Mon. and Tue. coming in late last evening. I did fish the canal, a couple of days before I left, but the bluefish were in there bad enough to make me go home early each time, no chance of getting a striper with the blues that were around.

This report is second hand, from the sources I consider relaible amongst my group of friends, as I didn't fish today, but went scouting around looking for friends and whatever info I could ascertain.

Apparently, blues have, as of lately, been scarce in the canal, and no one has been fishing for stripers. I'm sure the stripers are there, obviously, live bait is most effective, but even prior to leaving, I had tried live eels, only to have bluefish bite them off. But guys fishing the canal in the dark with live bait are scoring stripers.

The south wind killed fishing over the weekend on the beach front, I am told, and going over theMantaloking Bridge today, I noticed the south wind was strong, which will drop water temp considerably, s0 I did not waste any time checking the beach. Would be pretty impossible to spot bunker schools with the whitecaps anyways. Pells tells me that there are big stripers along the beach, and when they are not in the wash, the boaters are getting them a little further out. Snagged bunker is the key, although some bass are being taken on poppers and needlefish by surfcasters.

Down at the inlet, it's rather quiet, no bluefish around. I watched 3 short fluke caught as I was talking to friends, all on live killies, and the sea robins are hammering the killies also.

I did hear of a confirmed catch of a 9 pound weakie in the surf 2 weeks ago, from a friend I consider a relaiable source, who witnessed it. It was at Point Beach, taken on a bucktail with a white plastic twister tail. I again heard of a larger weakie taken in the canal last week by the condos, but cannot verify it.

I may possibly get ambitious and try the canal later this evening, have a favorable tide from about 8PM for a few hours, otherwise I'm looking favorably at that slight cold front moving in tomorrow morning with only a 20% chance of rain at this point, that may be whats needed to get some fish on a feed. I'll report if I go.

Garry

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
Re: Point Pleasant Canal/Manasquan Inlet and beach 6/25
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
welcome back  TT^ looking forward to reading your report.  TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »
Welcome back Wink.

Thanks for the solid info of what has been happening for the past few days. All good to know.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:19:54 AM »
Welcome Back Wink, and welcome to the club of paying school tutions  :'( My Son goes to collage up in Maine, plus one in Catholic school, so I know your pain. Keep up with the great reports.  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
Welcome back, nice report.

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline brickken

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:56 AM »
Welcome back. Congrat on your daughters acceptance to her first choice college. Make sure you throw in a lifetime supply of Fin-S in that contract  TT^ Nice report
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline wink_man

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
Went down to the canal last night, about 8PM. water was clear, weed minimal, boat traffic a little to high for my liking.

Anyone who said blues were scarece in the canal, were either full of it, or not going deep enough. First cast, Fin-s was chopped in half. Second cast, same thing. So I tried metal, and plastic shad jigged along the bottom, and nothing. So I figuered maybe the blues left, put on a Fin-S and first cast it was chopped in half. Went to a popper, but boat traffic was to high to get a striper to come to the surface. Think I'm going to quit fishing the canal for a while, as the blues really take away from  the experience, and are making it that it isn't fun anymore, plus it's impossible to catch a striper with them around. May start hitting the beach(don't have a heart attack Ped, LMAO), I said MAY, LOL.

Garry
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:50:27 PM by wink_man »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »
Nice report Garry.  Welcome back. t^  Sorry about those blues chopping up your baits.  Good thing you got a lot of those things! ;)

-Bob

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »
hey garry,

were you catching blues or just getting your fin s chooped up?  i know you hate blues but i don't mind catching and takeing them. i'll be in jersey middle of july so i hope to see you there or maybe just show me around the canal.

sick and tired of catching fresh water fish, want some big saltwater fish!

cheers,
dave

Offline wink_man

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »
hey garry,

were you catching blues or just getting your fin s chooped up?  i know you hate blues but i don't mind catching and takeing them. i'll be in jersey middle of july so i hope to see you there or maybe just show me around the canal.

sick and tired of catching fresh water fish, want some big saltwater fish!

cheers,
dave

Dave,
     These are not big blues,they are about 2 pounds. I use the longer Fin-S, 5&3/5 inches and 7 inches, and the blues tend to bite it off right behind the hook, I didn't land any of the 3 last night.

Garry

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:44 PM »
Nice report Garry. You have been missed while you were away.  ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-