Author Topic: Surf Sharking  (Read 12543 times)

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
Surf Sharking
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »
Alright ive heard of people in other states and other countries catching large sharks from the surf and or pier. And im somewhat familiar with the hardware required but would it be possible to catch a 5" or larger from the jersey shore with cable lead and high test line of course on a conventional set up, and would this set up have to be kayaked out as ive heard them doing it in other countries

would be pretty cool to bring a large shark in via the surf

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:23:04 AM by Pennsylvania Guy »
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Surf Sharking
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Do a search on sharks in the surf and you should find some treads on it. Here is one.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=6972.0
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
Hey , you know that beach in Florida. Where that girl lost her arm  last year.
Well they raised the price to get on the beach, now it costs an arm and a leg  rofla hhppy
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline nukeman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »
Now thats sick!   rofla
US Sub Vet

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
heres one for ya nukeman
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »
Catching sharks off the beach is easier than you think.  If people would realize the amount of sharks that are off the beach they would give second thoughts to going into the water.

As far as special equipment it is not needed.  We have at least one gathering a year from NJSWF to IBSP for sharks a year.  And I have to say wr have not been disappointed yet.  So if you are thinking of giving it a try tag along one night and have some fun.

Oh yeah the shark thing is usually at night,  they are for the most part a nocturnal hunter, and love large bunker so you can see anything from spinning gear to conventional outfits on the beach.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »
its been a while since i have been on here so this is my comeback post lol.. i hear sharks i'm there,lol. shark fishing from land is very possible in jersey and i have proven it very well.Pa Guy.... you dont need crazy termanal tackel. sharks first start to show in the bays of new jersey in june as they come in to spawn. great bay and raratin bay are a great place to start as browns,duskys and sand tigers move in early. you need a 10 foot rod that has some back bone and atleast a 4500 series reel.they will spool you so the bigger the reel the better. braided line withstand the sharks sandpaper backs quite well, use 50 to 65 lb test anything more just takes up too much room on the spool. like i said the more line the better. they run. i use between an 8 and 10 "o" circle hook with either 85lb wire leader or 125lb mono leader. the leader only needs to be about a foot long cause with a circle hook it doesnt go deep into their mouths. most sharks you will catch will be between 45 and 150lbs...... but trust me there are monsters right there as well. i have caught them in the 9 foot range. if you hook into a big boy chances are your gonna loose him due to tail slap... the light line cant take it.but from time to time you will get lucky. the bait of choice is bunker herring and eels. it can be the whole fish or a chunk.... doesnt matter. could be the freshest bait or old stinky nasty stuff. it doesnt matter. good luck pa guy hope i was able to help.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
Welcome back Ken! t^ How've you been?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »
Hey Ken glad to see you on once more.  We missed you.  Looking forward to getting out this summer once again to tangle with the toothy one.

Slide me a PM and let me know how you are doing.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »
Hello everyone...Long Time.... How is everyone? Hey Ken.... I wanna shoot bunker bombs... when are you goin fishin? I need to hitchhike rides this year since my Jeep died and I am pretty sure that the 94 Toyota Tercel I am driving will get stuck.... but I am itchin for a scratch and definately am looking forward to Shark Week with Bunkertinis   chrz
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Wow this is the Long Lost Members thread.
Good to see some old faces posting.

There's a lot of interest lately, looks like a good year from the surf for NJSWF  TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 03:26:38 PM »
Hey Sean how are you doing Bro???

You know you are welcome any time I go out.  What days do you have off?  I can work around you.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
 whs same here
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 11:26:51 PM »
Here is last years t^

Look forward to this years..  t^

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:45 AM »
Mike, keep me in mind for when you go sharkin. I'll be glad to go.

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 07:27:58 PM »
whats up everyone!!!! i miss you guys too. thanks for asking paul,i am hangin in there best i can ya know. i was suposed to have surgery again this week but again it got put back. i had to have some tests done the last few days to make sure i am healthy enough for the surgery...... and apparently i am not.lol. my surgen says i am tough as they come.. that i shouldnt be walking at all let alone doing the things i do everyday.so i dont see what the big deal is. i had a funny ekg today and they want me to go for a stress test.... they said my ekg might be normal but they have nothing to compair it to and they want to make sure im ok.  i am tough as bull... fix me so i can go fishing.. im gonna fish anyway but you know what i mean. i wouldnt wish what i have been going threw even on my x wife..... pain that never goes away is just nuts. anyway enough about me.... how are you all doing? sean i got you buddy...we will get out there this year...scouts honor,lol. i have a feeling about this year unlike other years i think fishing is going to be great this year.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
Best of luck with the surgery Ken.  I'm sure you'll do fine and bounce back quick.

I had the same thing with the EKG about a year ago.  A Dr. saw something "abnormal"  It was just something they had to do a full workup to confirm was "normal" for me. 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »
Ken...good to hear from you grtn!  Sorry to hear about that back.  Those Dr's too...like women, you can't live with or without them!  They will make you sicker than you are :-\.  Best of luck and quick recovery with the surgery.  Hopefully in time to wet some lines.

TT^

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »
Paul... I am workin two jobs now but I have a pretty good gig because I self schedule both jobs for six week blocks. I am sure of this! I will be available the entire week and weekend following Easter, so If you, Ken or any of the other fellow surf junkies can get on the beach, i'm hitch-hiking t^ TT^ ;D
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-