Author Topic: Rod building question  (Read 2461 times)

Offline JeffL

Rod building question
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
Not so much a building question but a un building lol.. Anyone have any tips about stripping a rod back down to the blank.. Bought a Use Lami but would like to strip it down and re do it.. Any help would be greatly appreciated also thanks in advance..
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: Rod building question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
I'm no help but I bet Phil ( wreckfish ) has the answers t^

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:29 PM »
Careful use of heat will soften the expoy on the wraps enough so you can use a razor blade to cut them off.

Grips can be cut off with a razor blade.

Reel seat is the hard one. Again careful heat will soften the expoy and you should be able to break it free.

Go slooooooooooooooooooooow

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
Not too tough Jeff.. To strip off the guides, I use a sharp blade to cut through the thread and finish on the top of the guide feet.. By cutting the top of the foot you avoid damaging the blank... once that thread is removed to can pop out the guide out, and peel away the rest of the wrap.. any remaining thread or finish can be carefully scraped away.. As phil says, you can use heat to soften the finish, but you have to be real careful not to melt the blank.. I prefer to avoid it with the guidewraps if possible.. If the grips are eva/foam they are easily cut off with a sharp knife /razor.. the residue will need to be lightly sanded away.. cork will be a lot tougher to remove.. I've done it with a rasp, then sandpaper.. no fun.. The reel seat can be tricky.. after the foregrip is off, you can unscrew the locknut.. then,  I found the best way to get it off is to cut it lengthwise with a dremel type tool.. being sure not to go too deep and score the blank... make a cut on top and bottom, then get a flat screwdriver into the slot you cut and pry it off.. then clean away the epoxy underneath.. again, some careful use of heat can make this part easier as well.. hope this helps.. Have fun!  t^
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:44:09 PM by Treebeard »

Offline JeffL

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »
Thanks alot fellas  chrz
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:41:48 PM »
Jeff, Good question. If you really like the blank and want to re-build the rod keep in mind after EVERYTHING is removed you have the option of making a spinning or conventional rod.Find the spine and determine what side you want the power and place your guides accordingly.Some of the rods I have refinished over the years no longer have reel seats. I go Stainless "tape on"seats which keep the weight down and add flexibility to were the reel is placed.I have a few rods set aside for the Winter (NO NO NOT YET)project.
Good Luck with yours.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-