Author Topic: Runing Engine Out Of Gas for the Winter  (Read 2955 times)

Offline TurboDan

Runing Engine Out Of Gas for the Winter
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:01:55 PM »
I used to do it on my old 20HP, but the manual on the '01 90HP OceanPro with the VRO pump says specifically not to.  My mechanic said the same, so when I winterized, I didn't bother this year.  I put plenty of StarTron in the tank, so it's stabilized, but I've felt a bit uncomfortable ever since.

Should I have skipped that step this year?  Seemingly everyone said to not do it, but it just felt "weird" not doing that, possibly leaving gas in the lines and in the engine, even though there was stabilizer in it.

Opinions?  5hrug :P

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Runing Engine Out Of Gas for the Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
I was told Never to dry them out.  I don't run mine out of gas I Fog thru/ the carbs leaving the oil and gas in the bowls.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:44:24 PM »
I've been told there could be a danger if you keep it in a garage. The fumes have time to build up in the enclosed space and the air sitting on top of the gas in the tank could cause an explosion if there's a spark. If it's outdoors, the fumes are well ventilated and won't acumulate. It's the same principal why the big cabin boats have to run fans for a while before starting the engines.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:16:03 PM »
I was told, as you fog the engine, pull the gas line and do indeed, run it out of gas.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
Running it out of gas can cause a lean condition that can potentially kill your engine.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
I just fog and turn off the engine, do not let it run out or pull the gas line......thats for my Yammi

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:46:20 PM »
When I fog my engines ("95 0cean pros 200)I connect the hose on the can to the port in the lines. I shut off the gas lines and run it till it stalls on the fog. The fog is a lubricant that coats the carbs and cylinders. The reason a lean condition when running out of fuel ruins a 2 stroke motor is because there isn't any lubrication to the cylinder walls, which is carried by the fuel/ oil mix. The fog is the lubricant which replaces the fuel/ oil mix and doesn't cause damage to the engine.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 08:48:09 AM »
Lean condition issue really isn't lubrication (or lack of) as much as it is overheating of the combustion chamber.

That is where the real damage comes into play from running lean (from what I have been told ).

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:01:27 PM »
Heat is created by friction which is caused by lack of lubrication.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:43:20 PM »
I don't know. I have seen no good reason to run your engine out of gas.
Espeically if the gas is stablized.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:46:38 PM »
It used to be that the fuel lines, carbs, etc would varnish up from the fuel sitting for an extended period of time.  What it is now, I don't know.

I had my last motor (225 HP)for fourteen years.  Put over 1500 hours on it.  NEVER ran it out of fuel for winterization or any other reason.  Always had it fogged but never ran it out of gas.  Had absolutely no problems because of that.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Duffman

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:58:11 PM »
Whenver you run an engine out of fuel, it is never totally out of fuel. Some gas remains in the lines, jets, needle/seat, and float bowl.
  A system with just a small amount of fuel will varnish and gum up quickly since more oxygen is present. A full system means less air and less varnish/gum. Stabilize and forget it, get her running in March, flounder season is only 4 months away.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-