Author Topic: Hudson Canyon Overnighter Sun,Mon Oct 20,21 2012  (Read 14935 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Hudson Canyon Overnighter Sun,Mon Oct 20,21 2012
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »

On Sunday October 21, 2012 Scott G, Jersey Joe and myself showed up at Capt.Jeffs house In Pt.Pleasant at 10:30am. We helped Capt.Jeff load the shaved ice from his ice machine, pack the boxes of butterfish  and Sardines And load our gear on the Kristin Marie a 1985 36' Twin Cat diesel Topaz express. We stopped to top of the tanks and head out of the Manasquan inlet. Jeff pointed the boat east and set up a course on auto pilot for the Hudson Canyon about 83 miles cruising at 21knts with a light N.West wind creating a small following sea.
    While running east at the ten mile mark the boats engines bogged down bigtime so we put her out of gear to investigate. Now we all had flies in our stomachs thinking the trips over :-\.  We noticed a bunch of broken up foam from a cushion coming up that must have gotten stuck in the wheels of the boat.  Jeff shifted forward and reverse several times to clear the debris but the boat the did not seem right. Joe was about to put on the dive mask and jump in the 66 deg water to check it out but the seas were building and its too dangerous. We came up with a plan to secure my underwater camera to a gaff and take some video of the props.  After doing so we noticed some debris stuck by the cutlass bearing before the prop. Jeff decided to continue the trip but it slowed us down about 2 knots at the boats normal cruise rpm's because it blocked some water from flowing through the port prop.  On rest of way out Joe cut up some flats of butterfish for chum.
           We arrived at the west side of the canyon after a 4 hour run to find around 6 commercial fishing boats dragging nets for squid  in the center of the canyon. We set up a 8 line spread on the west drop-off consisting of 2 ballyhoo and skirts on the far outriggers.  2 green machine spreaders on the inside outriggers,  2 blue/white squid spreader bars close off the transom and a far  bird daisy chain and a short squid daisy chain down the middle.  A few whales were in the area along with dolphins, tuna chicks and other  types of seabirds.
As we came close with the spread to a high flyer and orange marker ball Capt.Jeff announced here they come! clp  Looking back we could see Mahi chasing the lures and jumping through the waves. One Mahi became hooked and we left him out for a little while and another became hooked. One was lost at boatside and the other was gaffed and in the box. They hit the green bird and daisy chain trolled far back and center and the green squid spreader bar on the inside rigger.  We trolled a little more and boxed another Mahi that hit a green Machine spreader.  
     The wind and seas were starting to increase so we got tied off in 800' of water to set up for the night chunk. A couple of head boats set up a bit to our south/west. Now the wind was building to a steady 25mph with gusts over 30mph the sea was nasty with cresting 6' waves hitting the bow and throwing wind driven spray down the sides of the boat.  At sundown we had the butterfish chumslick started and 4 Penn international 50's set up at different depths with rigged with Sardines and egg sinkers, balloon floats placed at varied depths. Another rod was set up for swordfish and dropped deep with a live squid we netted and a glowstick. On the last rod we put a jig and sent it down then attached it to the far port outrigger  so it would jig itself.
    The blue sharks started showing up in numbers circling the boat and occasionally getting hooked up on the sardine rigs. All the guys took turns reeling in and releasing the 6' to 9' blue sharks hoping they would go away soon. The bigger ones fight pretty hard and my lower back and knees  are still aching fcp. The crew took turns chumming, checking lines, netting squid, making food and napping. Around 2am   on Monday the dolphins showed up in big numbers and the sharks disappeared but so did he squid which was fine with us because we were pretty tired from battling the blue sharks for hours. Capt.Jeff and I took over the watching everything and keeping the slick going. The weather got worse "bigger waves" making it hard to keep balance with the boat bouncing around forward and aft and side to side. The colder temps of night and wind driven spray were not helping either when Jeff and I heard a big snap and a thump, Something hit the sardine baited line on the far outrigger and the line must have gotten twisted in the release clip and pulled the outrigger down a bit while snapping the new 80lb mono line clean and making the outrigger bounce around a bit.  I wish I knew what that fish was..
    At first light the horizon started to show more signs of life. The seabirds moved in and started playing with our chum. Its fun to watch how they run across the top of the ocean with they're wings extended and then swim far below the surface to retrieve a piece butterfish. The crew worked together as the sun broke the horizon and we put away all the chunking tackle and setup for the morning troll.  We worked some markers and high flyers on the way to the south tip of the Hudson. The Starboard inside green machine spreader rod starts screaming ZZZZZZZZ!!  and Capt.  Jeff says Fish On!! and kept the boat in gear for a bit to see if anything else would hit. Several minutes later we had some lines cleared out of the way, everyone worked together great and a 45lb yellowfin was on the deck.  We quickly set up the spread again and circled the area looking for another.  Then the  close stern rod goes down with the blue/white spreader on it and we pull in a Fat Albert "false albacore"  Minutes later another Fat Albert is in the boat.  At the south tip the port inside outrigger rod  took a hit and the rod went down screaming "Again a green machine spreader" and  the fish fish took 2/3 of line off the international 50 before Capt.Jeff throttled down and we started clearing the spread. Scott fought the yellowfin for around ten minutes, I  grabbed the leader as it was boatside, Scotty backed up to give us room and Joe made a perfect galf shot that the late Zane Grey would have been proud of.  This Yellowfin was a 60+ pounder.  
    The crew decided to call it a day and bring in the spread. The ride home was gonna be slow with the 75miles of steady 6' oncoming waves till we reached the 8 mile mark and they eased up on us on really pit the throttle down. We broke the Manasquan inlet with our Tuna and Mahi flags flying around 5pm and made it back to port safe.  "Maybe a little bruised up and sore but safe"
     At Capt.Jeffs we cleaned the boat, filleted the fish took some pictures and did some high fives. Funny thing on the ride home in the truck, We all looked forward to a hot shower and our comfy beds.
      Good Luck!!   TT^  Eddie "Hunter 2"

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:27:08 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hudson Canyon Overnighter Sun,Mon Oct 20,21 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
pics
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
pics 2
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:29:58 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »
pics3
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:31:44 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 10:32:58 PM »
pics 4
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »
2 more
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:17:23 PM »
Wow what a trip Eddie. clp clp clp

Awesome report and pics. Felt like I was out there too.  slt chrz chrz
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:18:08 PM by paul-e »
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:48 PM »
That was a terrific write up Eddie! clp  Congratulations on a great trip! t^

What did you keep the alberts for?  Bait?

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »
 whs  clp clp
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 01:50:09 AM »
Nice trip boys! Way to stick it out.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:46:19 AM »
 t^ Great write up Eddie!

Glad you guys had a good time, wish I could have made the trip, maybe next time. You guys put in a long day, but it paid off.

Whats up with the ice, you get put in charge of it everywhere you go?  rofla

Scott must of had a blast with that tuna.  t^

Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:01:39 AM »
That was a terrific write up Eddie! clp  Congratulations on a great trip! t^

What did you keep the alberts for?  Bait?

We kept the Albies  for bait. They went in the captains freezer box. We chunked with an Albie strip from a previous trip and nothing hit it.
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:10:08 AM »
 clp Great write up...had a blast with you guys off shore t^ I would team up with you & Joe anytime on the deck  t^ You looked relaxed at the helm  t^ remember when you make Jeff an offer, Dont forget the icebox is part of the deal  TT^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »
Great report and trip  t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:55:30 AM »
Great report Eddie.  Looked a little sporty out there at times ;)

Offline mass baster

• Fish
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Who worte that for you eddie?   ;D   chrz   Great trip gents.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
clp yeaaaaaa baby!!!!!!!! That's a great write up! I just love it!!! I agree feels like your there when you read it! Good job!!  clp Great photos!! That shark in the water, the darker one, MAN HE IS HUGE!!!!!!!  cfzd Like scary huge....  thud You're some fisherman Eddie!!! Seems everything you do eventually pays off!!! Keep it up!!  See ya!  grtn

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Great report Eddie.  Looked a little sporty out there at times ;)
Look at the one photo where Eddie is sitting down with the yellow fin... look at the swell in the back....  fcp

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
 t^..Nice report... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Cashin

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »
Way to go TEAM HANGOVER!!!

Glad you guys had a good time, wish i could have made the trip

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-