Author Topic: making you own sinkers?  (Read 18204 times)

Offline DJ76

making you own sinkers?
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
thinking of starting to make my own sinkers but curious if its really that cost effective. 5hrug  sinkers are running me anywhere from .2 - .3 cents an ounce. fish mainly 6, 8, & 10 ounce bank sinkers.  thinking of buying some molds which are going to run me around 35 bucks than i have to get the lead melt etc.  just curious how many of you out there do it yourselves and whether or not you find it worthwhile?  thanks for the feedback grtn
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: making you own sinkers?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
Sam the Sinker Man

nuff said.
OK maybe not:

IMO too much trouble to DIY with Sam around.

Plus you can talk fishin with him for hours if you want.... Great guy

PM me if you need his number

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
2-3 cents an ounce?!?!?! If you can get them at that price, buy them and sell them! That is ridiculously cheap! Most are getting 20 cents an ounce.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
sinkers are running me anywhere from .2 - .3 cents an ounce.

I know you know this and just read it wrong Joe.  .2-.3 = .20-.30 = 20-30 cents an ounce.

And I agree.  He would have a heck of a business opportunity if he could get them for 2 or 3 cents an ounce. ;D

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
Only worth it if you get the lead for free, and plan on making a ton of them
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »
http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=30114.0

We went over this topic recently, I decided against it.
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline DJ76

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:42:48 PM »
2-3 cents an ounce?!?!?! If you can get them at that price, buy them and sell them! That is ridiculously cheap! Most are getting 20 cents an ounce.

sorry...forgot the zeros!!!!  yes 20 - 30 an oucne
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline DJ76

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »
http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=30114.0

We went over this topic recently, I decided against it.

thx limpett. just read up on that.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »

sorry...forgot the zeros!!!!  yes 20 - 30 an oucne

Yeah, I kinda thought that. I do make my own sinkers, but I supply everyone on my boat with them.  :P

If you are making them for your own use, buy them from Sam the Sinkerman.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:56:41 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline DJ76

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
ya well, everyone seems to "borrow" my sinkers on my boat as well cause they only brought a "few" with them.  ::)

so yes it would be for me...but that usually includes a bunch of people before the year is up.

My father in law has all the stuff to melt the lead so only thing I need is the mold AND the lead.  My idea for the lead was to "trade" for the other metals I scrap.  I've been making 2-3 metal trips a year to the junkyard and making a few hundred bucks, so I figured I can swap out some cash for some lead...not exactly free but not expensive either.

the way I'm looking at it is if I buy an 8oz mold for 40 bucks I'd have to make 20 sinkers to  esentially break-even. hell I probablly went through a dozen this year alone.  I'm thinking that ain't such a bad thing.  5hrug
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
Only worth it if you get the lead for free, and plan on making a ton of them

Al nailed it ... t^

I only make flat bank sinkers for blackfishing because I get free lead and tend to loose a lot while togging...More of a convenience than anything else...

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
ya well, everyone seems to "borrow" my sinkers on my boat as well cause they only brought a "few" with them.  ::)

so yes it would be for me...but that usually includes a bunch of people before the year is up.

My father in law has all the stuff to melt the lead so only thing I need is the mold AND the lead.  My idea for the lead was to "trade" for the other metals I scrap.  I've been making 2-3 metal trips a year to the junkyard and making a few hundred bucks, so I figured I can swap out some cash for some lead...not exactly free but not expensive either.

the way I'm looking at it is if I buy an 8oz mold for 40 bucks I'd have to make 20 sinkers to  esentially break-even. hell I probablly went through a dozen this year alone.  I'm thinking that ain't such a bad thing.  5hrug

Heres the kicker, the scrap yard buys lead from you for 10 cents a lb then sells it to you for 1 buck a lb. Thats around 7 cents an 0z the metal your scrapping is even if steel 10 bucks per 100lbs so you would need 1,000 lbs of steel for 100 pounds of lead so like I said unless you get the lead for free and or already have the molds 5hrug Plus $40 bucks buys one mold in flat banks you get one sinker per mold in either 8, 10, or 12,oz so for
$120 you can make 3 different sinkers. Not trying to discourage you just letting you know all the things I had to find out when I was thinking like you  t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »

Heres the kicker, the scrap yard buys lead from you for 10 cents a lb then sells it to you for 1 buck a lb. Thats around 7 cents an 0z the metal your scrapping is even if steel 10 bucks per 100lbs so you would need 1,000 lbs of steel for 100 pounds of lead so like I said unless you get the lead for free and or already have the molds 5hrug Plus $40 bucks buys one mold in flat banks you get one sinker per mold in either 8, 10, or 12,oz so for
$120 you can make 3 different sinkers. Not trying to discourage you just letting you know all the things I had to find out when I was thinking like you  t^

thx bigal.  this is type of info looking for.  guess i'll have to see if I can get me some lead from somewhere...
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:04 AM »
 t^ Glad I could help.  It use to be easy to get lead, the best people to ask are either your local tire shops (wheel weights), plumbers (old cast iron joints, or Helicopter medics just be careful with the last ones they seem to not be able to tell the difference between lead and steel :P

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 06:19:01 AM »
t^ Glad I could help.  It use to be easy to get lead, the best people to ask are either your local tire shops (wheel weights), plumbers (old cast iron joints, or Helicopter medics just be careful with the last ones they seem to not be able to tell the difference between lead and steel :P

Insert F&^@ Off emoticon here..... LOL  ovrbt

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »

hmmmnnn...the tire idea I might be able to work with.  didn't realize those balance weights were lead...makes complete sense.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
Tire and other places used to give away lead. Now they get paid for it in most cases. It may be difficult to find free lead from tire stores now.

IF you are a member of an indoor gun range that only allows lead that might be an option for you.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
Or you can get your scuba license and dive wherever i fish  thud

Offline DJ76

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
IF you are a member of an indoor gun range that only allows lead that might be an option for you.

I live in jersey...there ain't no such thing as a gun range anymore.  I belong to one in pennsy but its outdoor, not sure how it would look with me raking out the dirt pile to get some lead.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-