Author Topic: Last shot at tuna.  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Loneshark

Last shot at tuna.
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:27:45 PM »
After talking to Capt. Jeff this week, I decided to give tuna 1 more shot,I will be on the voyager this sat. providing the weather hold's up.it seems that a new body of fish have found their way to the southern canyons.Jeff told me that they were marking  fish all night long Tues. and Weds.and caught a lot of sword fish before the tuna would bite.
He thinks that a big sword was around the boat,when a couple of fares got spooled. ???
which he thought was spooking the tuna,they had yft up 80lbs, albies and of course swords.

I hope the fish are still there when I go out.
it almost seems like the canyons are a month behind.

I'll report in asap.
tight lines Loneshark

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Last shot at tuna.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
Good luck and don't forget the camera.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 04:17:41 PM »
Yes good luck loneshark t^

Offline Loneshark

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »
Thanks guy's and yes I will bring the camera and use it too. lol
I truly am a die hard tuna fisherman,I was going to give up,but my heart won't let me.
 By the way a good friend of mine,caught a 533lb swordfish on the Lady Frances out of R.I.

Terry Lyons who I fished with on the Frances for years subdued the sword in 30 mins.
the story is on their web site francesfleet.com

What a monster.

The weather looks ok so far, so I won't know till sat after noon.

Tight Lines
Lo/\/eshark 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:45:05 PM »
Good Luck!!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
 whs

Offline Loneshark

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »
Well here is the report from Sat the 1st.

Capt Jeff called me up Fri 8pm to tell me the boat did absolutely nothing Thurs night, and tells me not to bother coming down. I ask are you still going out he said yes but you are coming from CT. thought only fair not to take your money because fishing is so bad.I thought that was nice of him,but I still wanted to go so he left it up to me.

Got there around 445:pm boat leaves at 6pm.
Not to many guys there so I'm light trip t^
well about an hour later people start rolling in and taking a head count,There were more than the 24 he usually takes out. no big deal
but it does make me think about the pone call.

OK, boat leaves on time, we are headed to the warm water in the hudson where I don't know just was told that's where were headed.

Lines in the water around 11pm,ther 2 other PB's out there,the Doris-Mae and the sea Devil.

squid started showing up about a half hour later and i snag a good one, down it goes with a light stick at 120 ft.
In the mean time we are catching squid at a good rate,and saving up when the guy nest to me gets a hit,a sword about 75 lbs which was kept. then another sword about the same size also kept. A third sword was hooked and was much bigger but the fare some how bird nest his 50 and the fish was lost,despite the efforts of the crew to splice into another rig. 

Then it quite for a few hours and one of the fares decided to leave his rod in the water and go down stairs to sleep,around 330 am his rod goes off big time, by the time someone picks it up he is half spooled,and still going
strong the guy slaps the drag up to strike and 2 min's later pop fish is gone,when he pulled the line up the leaded was gone from the swivel bad knot came undone, another mystery fish. 5hrug
quite after that,till dawn when the albies showed up,i got out the jig rig and hooked up immediately and lost it just as fast. nosmly

People were hooking up and losing fish like crazy,I'm like whats going on here inexperience or what.

I jigged for about an hour more with no luck,so i flat line a Sardine and hook up solid this time,but I'm fishing with 40lb test and the crew we had were reluctant to pull their lines out of the water,I had the fish to the boat in 8 mins and had the swivel in sight when the fish saw the boat he bolted under the port corner piking up all the lines that were in the water, now I'm fighting the fish and at least ten lines, needless to say the lines acted like a hook puller and the fish got free,pulling up my line i had 6 lines hanging off the hook, oh well not the first time.
I the mean time Capt Jeff comes down from the
Helm to give the guys in the back what for, Leaving the lines in when some one has a fish on,it's tough enough to hook fish and ai told you when we left port that if some one has a fish please pull your lines till the fish is in the boat.
Well the guys in the back all apologize and I graciously say it's ok,back to fishing.
in the mean time the wind is picking up and the capt decides to head back in.
He made a good call because it was a sloppy ride in with me getting tossed out of my bunk twice,ouch. :-X

Total fish count was 2 swords,1 YFT, and 7 albie's to 50lbs, and twice as many fish lost.

I can't complain I took my chances and in spite of losing 2 fish I still had a good time.

I also came home with nice sword fish stakes that the other guys were giving out.

Tuna fishing is over for me this year, so I am moving on to Cod,Sea Bass and Tog.

Sorry for such a long post,and sorry no pics this time.

Tight lines.
Lo/\/eshark  chrz

P.S. I may go over to my buddies place in the Hampton Bays and fish for Striper's.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »
Nice report Loneshark. Always good to come home with some meat and you did have action.  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:53:45 PM »
Good try Loneshark.  You never know what to expect when it comes to that type of fishing in these times when fishing has become a hit and miss proposition.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
Great report...nice try again!  Got some meat to take home.

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
Great report Loneshark..  It the chance you take out there right t^

But nice to see fish brought aboard t^

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »
Great report! Nice job none the less!  TT^

The Dorismae only hooked up with one bluefin about 125lbs Friday night. We did stay the hole night and got our asses handed to us.

We deed much better Saturday night. 4 Swords, 1 keeper, 2 pups, one tangled mess break off about 150+. 1 Mako about 4' released unharmed. We boated about 16 long fin and lost aleast 6 more. The sword really messed up our bite. We will be out again this Friday and Saturday, this is our last weekend for the season. Good water coming in. I hope we go out in style.

Offline Loneshark

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »
Great report! Nice job none the less!  TT^

The Dorismae only hooked up with one bluefin about 125lbs Friday night. We did stay the hole night and got our asses handed to us.

We deed much better Saturday night. 4 Swords, 1 keeper, 2 pups, one tangled mess break off about 150+. 1 Mako about 4' released unharmed. We boated about 16 long fin and lost aleast 6 more. The sword really messed up our bite. We will be out again this Friday and Saturday, this is our last weekend for the season. Good water coming in. I hope we go out in style.

Capt. Mike
Ya we saw you guy's Sunday morning,we had plenty of tuna under the boat,plenty of hookups
inexperience claimed a lot of tuna.
tangles kept a lot of guy's, like me out of the water when the tuna were under the boat.

I always pull my line when someone is hooked up
I learned a long time ago that just because the guy's up in the bow/Stearn doesn't mean he's going to stay there,I'll wait till the fish is gaffed or gone before I drop back in.

we caught it going back in i have the bruise's to show for it. ???

Good luck, I hope you get out and finish off the season with a great catch.

Tight Lines
Lo/\/eshark  >>---)))>

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 11:38:08 PM »
Great report Loneshark! t^  I'm sorry the catching wasn't so good for you. :-\

Mike, are you working on the Doris Mae now?

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »
Yeah Loneshark, inexperience and greed ruin it for others every time.

Yes the way in Sunday was ruff but was a lake Saturday night. Funny how quick it can sour out there. Best of luck to you for the rest of the season.

Yes Bucktail, I am working with them during tuna season.

Offline Loneshark

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »
I got this email from Capt. Jeff of the Voyager today.

FYI the Golden Eagle went out the night we came in. I spoke to him before he left and told him where we had fished. He went there and caught 26 long fin. I'm sure we would have done better with nicer weather.

Fri,Sat might pay off this weekend if the water temps hold up.

Good luck to all that go out.

Lo/\/eshark

p.s. had the sword, tonight man was it good.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »
 t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-