Author Topic: Fluka's sick :(  (Read 12784 times)

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fluka's sick :(
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
Mark, Has the mechanic found the problem yet? You need to burn some good Sicilian olive oil in that Diesel. ;D
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
Good luck Buddy. You can fish with me until the boat is back in shape. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
Feeling much better
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
Thanks again fella's for all the kind offers and support.. People don't come any better than the folks here  t^ The Cummins tech  went to the boat during the week.. He checked the engine over and could find nothing too out of sorts.. he checked the fuel at the racor and he said it looked fine.. he was at first suspecting the throttle control unit..as I did have it kinda jury-rigged due to 2 of the 3 original shock absorbing  mounting bolts failing. I'm  waiting for the new bolts I had ordered but I have it pretty secure and it seems to be working properly when I work the throttle... but he was  thinking it was possibly faulty electronics within the unit.. however when I told him that the fuel filter made a sucking noise when we removed it out on the bay,  he had a major  "AHAA!!  moment.. and was then almost sure that was the issue. Either the fuel tank did not vent properly as it went from topped  to about 2/3  on my long run..causing a vacuum.. . or something else somehow obstructed fuel flow.. At any rate, he suggested we run it again and see if we can duplicate the problem.. if so, he suggested we try opening the fuel cap and see if that fixes it.. So,  I went down there yesterday, and the boat ran great all day.. had it out from 6am- 6pm running around the bay and a little outside..  and could not make it act up.. clp  :headscra: So I'm hoping that was the issue, but I still  want to try to figure out what happened and how to prevent it.. but as for now it seems we're up and running!  TT^    chrz

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »
Glad to hear she's feeling better. t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Good to hear. Now go out and catch yourself some fishies.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
In case anyone has wondered what has become of me lately, I guess this bump should give ya an idea.. I've been reluctant to post as it is all so depressing, but  This has been the season from hell for me and Fluka.. While we never got to the bottom of the issue that I described in my original post, other problems have kept us hi and dry since the beginning of July.. On the Sat. before the 4th, we where heading across the bay in the am, when alarms started to sound, and I realized the temp gauge was pinned..At first i thought i may have picked up a bag or something..  well, turns out the alternator bracket had broken, causing the alternator. to fall off into the bilge..  nosmly taking the belt that drives the raw water cooling pump with it.. After getting that re-welded, took it out the following week, but the engine would'nt make enough power to get it on plane, and keeping on the throttle had the temp gauge rising again..  rgmn  Called Cummins who sent a tech out several days later on a friday.... He disassembled the water pump, and found a bad impellor.. only problem was the part was out of stock.. and apparantly, he was in a hurry to start his weekend..  because he left it in pieces, and worse left the intake hoses hanging in the bilge.. I get call from the marina sat morning telling me that one of my neighbors reported my pumps running constantly.. Yup.. he walked away from it with water pouring in.. I guess hoping my pumps would keep up in the ensuing  weeks it was gonna take to get the parts! I shoulda taken the hint when he  asked if my pumps worked during the call..  smk  So we pulled it out,  Nice service for $135.00 an hr + travel eh?.. At any rate, I decided I'd had enough of these crack factory techs, and decided to let  a local mechanic take over.. On top of this, the impellor seems to be the missing link of boat parts, and was finally delivered yesterday after about 3 weeks.. Soo.. the hope is that we're back in the water in the next couple days, and the sea trial proves no further damage has been done to the engine during the overheat and it makes power like it should.. Maybe we'll even get to catch a few more fish before the snow flies.. stay tuned..   chrz

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
Wow, tuff luck Mark. I hope this finally solves your issue.

I'd certainly file a complaint with the factory on their rep. He certainly didn't do much to uphold their reputation.  nosmly

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »
That's a rough summer...

Hopefully, you are all fixed up and ready to go!

TT^

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »
That stinks Mark  rgmn Hope it all works out for you. I know every manufacturer has a lot of stuff on back order. Guess money is tight and no one is stocking anything.

Hope to see you on the water soon.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »
wow.. at least hopefully the problem will be resolved after this
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »
Thanks as always for the support guys. t^  Rick, I kinda suspected that was the case... and I imagine in this economy stuff for the recreational end of things is way down on the production schedule.. Joe, I did raise a stink with the service manager... I mean everyone has a bad day, But in addition to them never actually solving any of my problems,  if you've  worked much on a boats, I would think you'd know better than to walk away from a slipped boat taking water..  nts I did'nt press as hard as I could have. I don't want to see a guy loose his gig in this economy.. i just wanna go fishin.. suffice it to say I think some guys should stick to trucks and generators  ...   chrz

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 06:26:50 PM »
I hope all is well and your back on the water. chrz

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »
I hear ya on the not wanting the guy to loose his job but he should be more responsible for his actions. You could have lost the Fluka.  :'(

At any rate...if you need a fishing fix give me a call. Would be glad to have you aboard.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
Mark,hope all turns out right for you soon and you can salvage some of the season.  Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 09:17:44 PM »
Hi Mark, Hope this works out for you.Its been an unusual season for many.There is always an open  spot for you on the "Peggy Lee".
Good Luck. t^  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:19:06 PM by PeggyLee »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 05:58:12 AM »
Good luck Mark.. TT^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
some guys should stick to trucks and generators  ...   chrz

ha! so true
good luck Mark

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »
wow what bad luck for such a good looking boat. anyway friday is my last day of work for about 8 weeks. pm me if I can give you a salt water fix.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
Thanks again for the support and kind offers fella's. Hoping to have Fluka back soon, but if not, I may just take ya's up on them  t^   chrz

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 10:43:21 AM »
And so it continues...  rgmn After 1 trip where the boat ran well fishing around the bay, I decided to run out to the SH reef Saturday.. well about a 1/4mi from my waypoint, the problem I described to start this thread re-surfaced.. the overheating issue appears solved, but experienced power loss, and was forced  to limp back to the bay.. with the boat running worse as I progressed.. almost made it.. about 200 yds from the K-burg pier, the engine finally stalled out.. crank, crank , crank,..acting like it was out of fuel..finally caught and started.. only to stall again a minute later.. starting to think a fuel issue/ obstruction, or maybe I pissed off a voodoo priestess without knowing  5hrug So..  SeaTow to the rescue.. again.  fcp . If this thing was a horse, I'd shoot it..  ::)  chrz

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-