Author Topic: Surf Fishing this season... advices for a newbie.  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Mikelodeon

• Full Member of the Den
Surf Fishing this season... advices for a newbie.
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »
Hola everybody !!!

I have some experience in Saltwater from a pier, freshwater in Delaware, lakes and ponds (trout and Bass usually)... so I know some bout the hobby.
But never did Surf Fishing and I want to try this season.
First, I need to know about the right place: Interesed in Union Beach and Keansburg Beach, somebody knows about fees or if those places are available to fish? or may I ask for some permit to the town? I could fish in any beach? how I get the right info about it?

Second: The right tackle, besides my freshwater tackle I have my 7 foot and 8 foot saltwater, works great for flounder and blues actually but I have two 12' spinning rods, I use Okuma avenger spinning reels with 25 lbs, 40 and 44 lbs Berkeley and Tectan plus with 30 and 50 fluoro vanish as leader. I am planing to use my 12' for long casting and bottom fishing and my 7 foot rod for casting in the beach looking for fish.

A wader is necessary ? if so... what kind? the same is used for freshwater works?

Any other advices/recommendations in order to start Surf Fishing?

Willing to learn !!! I got my registration !!!

READY !!!!

thank you guys !

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Surf Fishing this season... advices for a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
Welcome Aboard Mikelodean,

It sounds like you are ready to hit the beach with the equipment you have.  My advice to you is to take your time and get to know different areas that are known producers in your area.  Then I would frequent a couple of good Bait & Tackle shops in those areas and ask questions.

I know there are a lot of good free beaches up there so just take the time to do some research.  The best place it to call the town halls for beach questions.

Your set up sounds okay and the only thing I would check would be your line.  How old is it and should it be changes if it has been in storage for any length of time.  Other than that you should be good to go.

Lures are great but there is a learning curve with them.  For right now I would stick to bait and that right now depends a lot on what the B&T has in stock.  Clams are always a good choice as is bunker once they start to roam.  But right now most B&T will only have salted clams which are alright but if you can get fresh go for it.

Waders are the same for fresh and salt.  Just get a set that you feel comfortable in and then think a little looser.  Why this time of year the water temps are cold so heavier clothing is in order that will take up a bit more room.

I hope this helps

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
Union beach can me the striper mecca of the raritan bay and you'll know when it is because the parking lot will be full all day everyday. 12' is a little big but will be better than 7 or 8 because a lot of the beach is sand bar and you sometimes haveto be further out
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:54:09 AM »
A wader is necessary ? if so... what kind? the same is used for freshwater works?

Paul gave you some excellent advice to follow.  t^

Regarding waders, here's the low down:
Since you are just starting out, using waders made for the freshwater angler will be okay...for now. Waders are one of the most important pieces of gear a surfcaster can own. If Surfcasting is something you end up really liking and want to expand on then I am going to suggest the following, actually recommend, you go with waders specifically made for the saltwater angler.

The fact is not all waders are made to withstand the harsh saltwater enviroment. I am not saying you need to spend hundreds of dollars, on the contrary, mid price waders that are made of breathable material, double taped seams and reinforced in the crotch, knees and backside are the way to go, especially if you eventually plan on climbing over some rocks or wading out to that outer sandbar.
Stay away from those cheap rubber waders as many people complain about them. Also, hip boot waders have no place in surfcasting.

Again, i give you these tips if you plan on expanding your horizons with surfcasting.
For now, while you experiment in the world of surf fishing, pick up a pair of Field and Streams from a place like Dick's sporting goods as they will serve you fine. I have a pair myself and still use them for the rivers and back bays.
As recommended by Paul, go looser so you can layer up if need be.

Good Luck out there and don't forget to post some reports this season. There is nothing like having the waves crashing down while feeling the salty spray against your face with the sun rising waiting for that fish of a lifetime to suck in your plug  t^

add on: also, read this thread http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=20467.0
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:04:26 AM by Tacklebox Joe »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-