Author Topic: calypso beachcomber  (Read 5025 times)

Offline ralphrox

calypso beachcomber
« on: March 17, 2011, 06:06:11 AM »
any one ever try the calypso beachcomber. will it break before the season starts or last long?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: calypso beachcomber
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »
Not sure but for the money and peace of mind I would rather spend a bit more and get a good outfit from Tica.  Why would you want that on your mind while fighting a good size fish.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ralphrox

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
any one know any thing about the mitchel big game combo

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »
Probably in the same category as the Beachmaster.  If it's the combo that I just found on Google, it's junk, but what can you expect out of a rod and reel for under 30 bucks.  My guess is that you are looking to get into surf fishing, and you don't want to spend a lot. I would suggest getting an Ugly Stick rod, which is a better choice between the lower end brands. You can pair that with one of Penns lower end reels.  Those together might cost you a little over $100, but are more reliable.  If you go with the extreme bottom of the barrel gear, chances are it will fail on you and you will not be able to enjoy your time out.  What are you looking to do?  Fish with bait or lures?  If bait, I suggest a longer rod with a bit more backbone.  For lures, I would say maybe 8' or 9'.  Hope this helps.  Just be sure to clean all your gear after each outing, whatever you buy, as the sand and salt are very harsh on it.  Let us know how you make out.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
I can't answer your question about that particular outfit but Jason pretty much hit it head on. If you go for the very low end you will have failure of your gear and that would turn you off to surf (or any other kind for that matter) fishing.

Get a middle of the road priced outfit so you don't break the bank, but more important you won't break your outfit and spirits.

Good luck in your choice and catch em up.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
 wts

to add, start with a 9'er, you may want to look at TICA. They make awesome surf rods at respectable prices. I would recommend a TICA SURGE to anyone just starting out. Good bang for your buck. Good Luck  t^

Edited: Also look at TSUNAMI AIRWAVE...another respectable rod at a decent price.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:34:27 AM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline MJ619

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »
Hi,

I actually have that reel and never use it anymore.  It is of poor quality and will not last at all.  I had many lean years with cash so I did use it for two years for only bait casting.  I winded up saving money and purchased a low end Shimano reel and I even have two pflueger reels which are under $100 bucks.  Once a year I was treating myself to a new real and now I am okay with four.  Trust me it is worth the extra dough and patience.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-