Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 4267 times)

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
Just wondering
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »
I have fished from a SOT in freshwater a few times, most of the time I fish from a canoe. What I was wondering is what type of advice you veteran kayakers would give to a greenhorn for fishing saltwater from a kayak. As far as choice of SOT or sit-in, rigging, and what type of fishing equipment you use.
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline Noworries2009

Re: Just wondering
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
I own a Hobie Outback with the mirage drive. I bought it this summer and have used it in the Barnegat bay and Manasquan River. I only use it for fishing. It can be confusing picking out what to buy so I recommend going to the dealer closest to you and arrange a demo on any one that you like. I know Jersey Paddler in Brick does this but check around. I bought mine used on line and it's my first kayak. They can be a little pricey but I believe the Hobie's are the best and the mirage is a peddle system that frees your hands up to fish. Also it is a SOT. Hope this helps  ;D

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the input, I've looked at Hobie but was wondering if a sit in would be a drier ride. 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
It might be drier but if you go over and you will it is harder to get out and wait till you try to get back in.  I have a Hobie Quest and have fallen out a couple of times, no problem getting back in at all.

As far as tackle I would keep everything to what is absolutely necessary.  All I carry is one rod and the plugs I plan on using.  Everything is tethered to something solid on board to minimize things sinking or floating off.  I mean everything from the paddle to the pliers used for dehooking.

I carry a waterproof bag to put some necessary things in like wallet, cell phone, etc.  It will take you a couple of outings but you will get the nack quick enough.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »
Thanks Paul,

I'm still debating whether it's for me or not. Guess I'll hit Jersey Paddler next time I'm down that way. You may be right at 66 years old it may be easier to get back on a SOT. ;D
I've dumped the canoe once and lost a tackle box. rgmn

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »
Yeah, that's why I opted to go that way myself.  I will be 62 this year and both hips have been replaced so the sit ins were out of the question.  My mobility is not what it used to be.  But you got to make the most of what you were dealt, so SOT was a good choice for me.

When Kayak1 gets on he should have some good recommendations for you plus the others that have been kayaking for years.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
Sorry guys..... It took me a day or so being work and no play time....

I would go with a SOT kayak....What model thats going to be up to you.... But let me just tell you what I know about the two... I have a Ocean Kayak which I need to paddle using all upper body which for me is not a problem at all.

The problem does come in that I cant fish while I paddle...That means while on the troll I need to place the rod in the holder....If I want to fish in moving water....I cant without setting out the anchor.....Do I catch alot of fish.... Yes....and I love my kayak and would not part with it....

I fish with another guy who works for Jersey Paddler and does the Island Beach Kayak tours who has the Hobie.... He loves that leg workout and does have more hands on with fishing because he is using his legs for power not his hands.... We both have a blast fishing Bob with his Hobie and me with the Ocean Kayak.

Sit On Top or Sit in......If your to fall out of the sit in....Good luck getting back in....With the sit on top you could surf your way back if needed.....

Take your time and find a kayak that you like and something your going to feel safe in....What ever you do don't let anyone just sell you any kayak without doing your home work...If you can test dive one before...thats even better...... Hope this will help some.

Dave
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 10:10:36 PM »
Thanks, I'm thinking I'll go down to Jersey Paddler and check it out. I'm still in the thinking about it stage. I love my canoe for fresh water with the stabilizer and was thinking about the kayak for the bay. I go down to Toms river quite often to my Sister-in-laws and love Berkley Island + Cedar creek area.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:28:56 PM »
I have a feeling that your going to like the kayak more the the canoe.....Jersey Paddler will help you and even let you test drive before you buy.....Good Luck

Dave
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-