Author Topic: Fluke question for Capt TB  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
Fluke question for Capt TB
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »
As I have much respect and really appreciate your insight on fishery matters,  I was wondering what would or WILL happen when NJ exceeds there 2009 recreational  fluke quota? Thanks for your time

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
Re: Fluke question for Capt TB
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:52:45 PM »
As I have much respect and really appreciate your insight on fishery matters,  I was wondering what would or WILL happen when NJ exceeds there 2009 recreational  fluke quota? Thanks for your time

Sorry I missed your post, been running my riverboats this past week and have not been online at all.

If and when NJ or any other state exceeds it's 2009 quota will not be known until after the season is over. The season for NJ ends Sept. 3rd, the preliminary landings data for July and August is not usually available until October at best.

So, what the real question should be is "if NJ exceeds it's 2009 quota what will happen next year?"

The answer to that depends on three things.
1) what is the quota for next year (we do not know that yet)
2)What were the landings for NJ for 2009 (we will not know that until the end of the year)
3)What is the difference between those two numbers.

If the quota for 2010 is larger than the amount of fish we caught in 2009 then we can maintain or relax our regs accordingly.

If the quota for 2010 is less than what we caught in 2009 then we will have to make our regs stricter to compensate for the difference.

Fortunately it looks like we may be getting another increase in the quota for 2010, see this article for some details.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
relax the regs?  5hrug

i think i'd pay to see that
aint never gonna happen

all bs we take it in the dumper

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:21:09 AM »
relax the regs?  5hrug

i think i'd pay to see that
aint never gonna happen

all bs we take it in the dumper

Then don't look back at the past ten years, you'll see more than one instance where the regs improved. At one point we had 6 fish, then went to back to 8. At one point our season was nearly as short as it is now, then it was extended back to mid-may through mid october. Now it's down again. If we all take the attitude of your post, then you will be correct.

Believe what you want, I'm done trying to change people's minds. I will continue to just present the facts and my own take on things. I will continue to be the optimist since I know I will be there trying to change things directly. There are enough pessimists in the world already, and they typically don't get anything accomplished, they just bitch. Don't be like them.

The facts are in direct contradiction to your assumptions.

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »
Very good answer CaptTB.   slt A tip of the cap for your efforts to improve our present fluking situation. If all you do is bitch, nothing will ever change. You must get involved even if the odds are against you.  Nothing ventured equals nothing gained.

Just to add another point to this whole problem.  We are so busy bitching and worrying about what is going on in other states, we have forgotten who the enemy is. "We are are a divided fishing community and need to stand TOGETHER to change these unfair rules and practices." My thanks to Captain Bob of the Gambler for that quote. Divide and conquer is an old strategy that usually works.

Tight Lines,
Bob G
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:20:05 PM by njbob49 »

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:29:31 PM »
Keep up the good work CaptTB; as you all know I am a supporter of the effort. I started drinking the kool aid years ago.... now I have a drinking problem....

hopefully you can prove me wrong on the direction the regs will take... chrz

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
 ;D t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-