Author Topic: Sharking from a 20 ft. CC  (Read 14194 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Sharking from a 20 ft. CC
« on: February 18, 2007, 02:42:05 PM »
Hi All,

I know I am losing my mind as I get older, but wasn't there a topic posted requesting info on Sharking, especially from a 20 ft. CC?

I was posting and the site went down to move us to a bigger server. Bad timing!

Well here it is:

I use a 21 ft. center console on calm days when I have only have one person with me.

First and foremost, safety. We can talk at length about that. Part of Safety is enough fuel. Do you know how much fuel you burn with the load you intend to carry? If you plan to run out to the Bacardi or Glory Hole, you may need more fuel. It is a drift fishery and sometimes I drift for hours (with a few knot drift), you can find yourself 20-30 miles away from where you started (hopefully closer to home).

Now on to when to go. Pick a day in the middle of an extended high pressure system with the right seas and winds. Remember, the prevailing afternoon wind is from the Southeast but even if it kicks up, you can wait it out and it will flatten closer to the evening (as a general observation).

Next, have some 4/0 class reels, balloons, and chum. Catch up some bluefish. Fillet them for bait and then hold on.

With the great run of menhaden (bunker) the past few years in the Spring, you can almost target Threshers in the huge schools, real close to the shore.

I will never be one to tell someone that they cannot do something. On the contrary (and unlike other boards), let's help you guys do this as safely as possible.

BTW, get an EPIRB (even a personal one) despite whether or not you travel "far" offshore. Also, please buy some Category I life preservers. They cost about $35 but do not get water logged like the cheap crap you can buy 6 for $10. Stay away from them ...

Good start to this thread ...

Let's start with details. Pick a subject such as:

1. Safety gear
2. Equipment
3. Where to fish?
4. How to fish?
5. When to fish?
6. etc.

Then we can fill in details.

I am a strong believer in the idea that if you can afford to hire a guide, go with the guide first. Ask questions and take notes. If you cannot, we will help.

OK, start the action ...

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: Sharking from a 20 ft. CC
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »
I was wondering how far I should expect to go ,I have never fished for shark before and want to try

Offline drome

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »
Ed,

Great topic!!  Being raised with a father that flew and instructed people on how to fly ultralight aircraft, plus my background in highrise construction, their isn't much that scares me....

Except being stuck out 50 miles in the ocean without fuel or emergency gear....  Hunters go by a familiar saying divers use, plan your hunt and hunt your plan.  Plan your dive, dive your plan...

Same should hold true for boating especially offshore...  Know your boat's capabilities, plan your trip and don't try pushing your luck.. There's no convenience store or fueling stations out 50 miles..

Another thing most of the captains I know that take trips out to the canyons practice is teaming up.  If you plan a long trip out, find another captain doing the same and follow each other out... 

Now on the topic of sharking... what do you do with the shark once you get it to the boat.  Always something I've wondered...

And when are we going!!!!

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
Hi Dennis,

The equipment for trying to subdue a shark and I assume, bring it home, is:

1. At least two (2) 6 ft., high quality gaffs.
2. Two (2) flying gaffs
3. Tail ropes

If it is coming home, I do not bring the fish in the boat. That is all that needs to be said about that. It will destroy a small center console.

Please note - I do not mess with guns or bang sticks on a small boat either.

Get a flying gaff into the front end of the fish and try to cleat it off. Once done, fishing buddy can then put down the rod and reel and have him/her grab a gaff to help "coax" the tail end of the fish toward the boat so I can get a tail rope on it and cleat it off to a stern cleat.

Your fishing day is now over. Get all the gear put away and start back. If you have trim tabs, use them. If not, it will be a slower than usual ride home.

I constantly tell myself that bringing home a fish is not worth risking safely getting home. If it is too big or you cannot secure it properly, let it go.

BTW, don't try to gaff the fish if it is green. They do not like that.

If you are practicing catch and release, get the fish close to the transom, take your pictures and cut the leader.

Oh yeah ... don't forget the wire cutters at the dock!

We can talk about technique in greater detail.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »
I am gonna try this this year ,I am determined to land one

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »
dude Charlie. We need to do this. That sounds like it would be a blast.
The man, The myth, THE LEGEND

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
we will ,I just need to figure out some things first ,just to be safe

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 05:02:16 PM »
anybody need any help let me know. its got to be just insane landing one of those things.

Offline Kahoots

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »
I A FIRM BELEVER 12 GAUGE SLUG.IT WILL FLATLINE IT,AND MAKE IT MORE HANDABLE.JUST BE CAREFUL AND HAVE AN EXPERENCED MAN ON THE TRIGGER.SHOOT IN FRONT OF THE DORSEL FIN TOWARDS THE HEAD

Offline Kahoots

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »
ONE MORE THING IF YOUR GOING TO USE A FLYING GAFF MAKE SURE IT IS SHARP I MEAN SHARP ENOUGH TO SHAVE WITH,HIT WITH AS MUCH FORCE AS YOU CAN , VERY TOUGH SKIN.

Offline Eden

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »
this is a great topic and something i plan on trying soon.  I also have a 21 CC, maybe we could find a day when we could plan a trip btw. a couple boats??  It sounds like a blast

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 09:02:12 PM »
this is a great topic and something i plan on trying soon.  I also have a 21 CC, maybe we could find a day when we could plan a trip btw. a couple boats??  It sounds like a blast
lets do it

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 09:47:38 PM »
I'm more than in ..  We can take a few boats then there are no worries..  8)

I don't mind going in the drink..

But not in the slick part ;D

Offline drome

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »
how far out do you go for shark?

Offline Kahoots

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 02:19:13 PM »
for makos, least the 20 fathom line, about 30 miles,some call it mako ally.

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 05:57:40 PM »
That would be a trip of a lifetime
The man, The myth, THE LEGEND

Offline Kahoots

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »
If you are going to do it,go with someone thats done it. this is no joke,leave your beer on the dock!this is serious fishing.this fish will ruin your day if gets a chance.you need a man on the gaff & or gun,you will need a man on tail rope(try to keep his tail out of the water thats his strenth,not easy)every one on the boat should know all jobs.you need aman on the rod,i would use atleast a 9/0 reel,30 to 80 international.some like a wire leader, i like cable,just my prefrence.leader should be atleast 15ft.now for the most dangerous job,THE LEADER MAN you will need gloves.he brings the fish to the boat,need a experenced man here.one wrong wrap and your overboard.ther was one of the best shark fisherman on the east coast out of Del.the boats name is the REALISTIC,some how he screwed up took a bad wrap on a 300+ mako ripped him over,drug him under took him down were his lungs bursted some how he got unwraped and surfaced, but did not make it.you dont just go shark fishing,you got kmow
what you are doing.thats just a taste.try a charder trip first, you will learn a lot. good luck be safe enjoy.

Offline Last Call

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 12:56:24 PM »
The Last Call crew would be interested in  joining the venture off shore.  Maybe a tournament among the members?  We're experienced sharking from a 25' Cuddy Cabin, but we're not experts.

Last Call
LAST CALL

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies,....
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain,....
For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston,....
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 04:04:03 PM »
Welcome Last call!!

Rod

Offline Kahoots

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »
I WILL BE IN THE SOUTH JERSEY SHARK TOURNAMENT IN JUNE,IN A 25'SEACRAFT DEPENDING ON WEATHER.COST A LIITTLE BIT WITH CALCUTTAS BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-