Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal 5/05  (Read 1836 times)

Offline wink_man

Point Pleasant Canal 5/05
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:46:45 PM »
The blues that were abundant at the north end of the canal on Friday, traveled to the South end on Saturday morning, where they really got into them again. Guess who figurered they'd stay at the north end of the canal and got zip, LOL.

By Sunday, they moved into the bay, the north end had a few, I had one run for about a half hour where I caught 10.

By Monday, blues were hard to find anywhere in the canal. I managed 2, that was it. Even the boats in the river were having a hard time finding them, I don't think there's enough bait concentrated anywhere to hold them very long.

I did start seeing schools of rainfish in the Canal on Monday morning, I was watching them work their way up the canal wall. Also, the larger breeder spearing must be working their way in, though I didn't see any swimming, one of the blues caught spit this one up as he was being unhooked.

Stripers are being caught in the south end of the Canal, it's an early morning/late evening proposition, most are shorts, and the key baits are live herring, poppers, and plastic shad. I saw 3 caught on Sunday morning, and 3 more caught on Monday morning, all shorts. On dead water, you can see the stripers rolling all over the place if there's no boat traffic.

Friend of mine fished the river in his boat Sunday, late afternoon, they caught a bunch of blues, and 2 keeper stripers north and slightly east of the canal entrance. They were actually fishing the shallows just east of Treasure Island. One of the keepers caught was by his son, on a pink rattle-trap.

Water is crystal clear, hopefully warming up, and the cabbage is liveable except during fast running water. I can't find a weakfish to save my life, have not heard of any being caught in the canal yet either.

Garry

Offline adesai73

Re: Point Pleasant Canal 5/05
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:03:44 PM »
^ if that picture doesn't perfectly illustrate the importance of matching lures with available baitfish, i don't know what does.  and i haven't even caught a #$%#$%#$ fish yet!

you may not think much of it, but that picture really opened my eyes up just now.  thanks for posting that!

ash

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »
nice report
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:36:49 PM »
Nice report and yes, nice hatch match there. It doesn't get any easier to explain than that pic.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
Great post! t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »
Great post and I hope that shortens the learning curve for a lot of newcomers. 

Guys, give it time and it will come it is still early and the water is in a flexing time.  One day it is warm and we get a good rain and it cools down again so give it time.  I promise you will catch this season.  It is starting off good and can only get better from here.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »
Great Report Garry t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-