Author Topic: Aug 7-8 Overnighter To Baltimore Canyon  (Read 11066 times)

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Aug 7-8 Overnighter To Baltimore Canyon
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
 Got the call monday afternoon from Capt D there was a spot open on the Heather Mist for an overnighter to Baltimore Canyon leaving tuesday morning, and to see if i was interested,,, Damn right I was.

Started off with a 10:00 departure, destination east wall of the baltimore for some tiles.

This was a first on trying for tiles for the boat and crew. After an hour or so with no luck, packed tile gear in and pulled the trolling gear out. We needed to find a spot to call home for the night.

Trolled east wall to west wall with a white marlin coming into the spread as we approached the west wall.  Couple swipes at the bally and he was gone,, 0/1 on whites.

Reached the 100 fathom line of the west wall, turned southeast and followed the contour.

Shortly after the turn, another white in the spread. Finned up to a bally and took a couple swipes at it, I tried to drop it back to him, but no dice,,,,, 0/2 on whites.

Trolled around some more looking for the best life to set up on for the night, which was a hard choice. We wanted to be further east, but just couldn't leave the abundance of life we had found all along the 100 line.  

Darkness was approaching, got to put trolling stuff out of the way, and get chunking gear out.

Conditions,,,, well, i'll just say it totally sucked, couldn't be worse for chunking. Wind against tide really screwed us up, and wouldn't let us set out our lines like we wanted. The lines went right up along the boat. Oh, and can't forget about the 3-4's tight together to keep it interesting.

Quickly found our abundance of bait out,, tinker mackerel, and tons of them. Could have filled the boat with them if you wished to do so.

Most the night was pretty uneventful. The mackerel kept us entertained enough to pass the time away. Around 0100 Kevin decides to try and do some jigging. I point to my jigging rod waiting to be used and tell him to go at it.

Kevin drops the stingo down, with mackerel hitting it left and right. So Kevin says, man these things are ferocious, here feel this and hands the rod to me. Two lifts and all hell breaks loose, something big down there wanted that stingo too!

With the rod bent over, and line peeling off the reel I handed it back to Kevin,, here ya go bud. Around that time is when what ever it was realized it was hooked, and the reel went from peeling line to screaming, and the rod was bent over till the tip was in the water. Run off lasted about 10 seconds and was over. Bit through the 80lb flouro topshot. Gave every sign of being a shark.  

Not one to be outdone, Kevin tied on another jig and sent it down. Didn't take but a minute or two for something else to try and best Kevin.

Rod's bent over, reel's screaming, then Kevin looks over to me and hands it off,,, paybacks i guess.

With half my spool ran off, it turns,,,, the fight for line is on! Win some loose some. Several times I start thinking I'm gaining on it, and another run off.

Twenty minutes into the fight, I can see color,,,,,it's a shark, and a nice one too. For some reason I don't think he likes to be seen and decides to give me one more nice long run off. Fifteen minutes later and you can see color again, but what is it? Hard to tell, its on the outskirts of the light. It makes another dive and heads to go under the boat. Got ya now,,,,, muscle him back up. Now he's in the light and boat side,,,,,,, Hammerhead! Damn,,, flying gaff, tail rope and shotgun get put back away.

Wasn't one for the box, but by no means makes it a bad fish, around 7' long and 100lbs plus, it was a ball to bring in on light gear being a shimano torium 20 and star paraflex jigging rod. I will say he got the best of my reel though, makes a horrible sound with the clicker on now.

Couple more hours go by and something is playing with the mid line and then makes a run for it.  Its thumping, you can see it in the rod tip,,, oh yea game on.

Kevin gives it all he has for about five minutes, then the line goes slack,,, it's bit through. All we can figure is it swallowed the hook allowing the line to run across its teeth.

Unfortunately that was it for the night. Really think the mackerel wound up screwing us in the long run. They where just attacking all the chum and chunks.

With light approaching quickly, got chunk gear away and trolling gear back out.

Hit up more of the 100 fathom line with no luck, decision was made to start heading back in, which was pretty uneventful till the 30 line or so.

Started to see some signs of life, then a giant 6' high splash right off the starboard bow,, what the hack was that? Ten seconds later a really nice boil on a bally,, fish on!

Being the closest to the rod, I picked it up and held on for all i had. 1/4 of the penn 113h spool is gone,, 1/2 gone,, 3/4 gone,,, then it turns.

Pretty uneventful fight bringing all the line back in, little runoff here and there,  main run off whooped him pretty good. Start to see color twenty minutes into the fight,,,, it's a wahoo, and nice on too!

Gaff swings, watch your little piggies cause a toothy one is coming onboard.

Set the spread back out, and within five minutes another fish on.  Phil's up to bat on this one, with about the same fight as the last one. Another wahoo, just as big. Two wahoo in the box.

Spread goes back out again, way back rainbow gets hit. I start reeling and don't feel anything,  the bars up on the surface,, did it get hit and flip upside down? What the heck is that, weeds on the stinger? No one knows, gotta bring it in. half way in we're still looking, what the heck is on it?

Oh my! It's a minimahi,, fish on! Not a fighter or pool winner by any means, but another one for the box none the less, and we'll take it.

Set the spread back out for abit, started getting late and with no more immediate action made the call to head for the barn.

Fueled back up, washed up, all buttoned up, trip was officially over. Divide up some monster wahoo steaks, say farewells and head for the house, i had a nice bed with my name on it calling me.

Pic time,
 waiting on the hammerhead pics to be sent to me, then I'll post them up here too.

Both wahoo's measured out to be 58",,, twins

a sunset that can't be beat

Hammerhead, pics aren't the best, but its what we got.

Capt D

Kevin

Phil

yours truly

and, minimahi
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:01:20 PM by Reel Time »
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
Re: Aug 7-8 Overnighter To Baltimore Canyon
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »
 clp  Great report  clp

YUP Can't beat those sunsets out there   TT^ TT^

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »
 t^ t^ t^ WHAT A GREAT REPORT !!!!  IT FELT LIKE I WAS ON THE BOAT......THANKS   t^ t^ t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
Wahooo rofla  t^ Gregg nice report
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
Great Report Greg.. t^  Not a bad trip t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
Nice trip and great report clp!

TT^

Offline Sam3

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »
Great report Greg!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
 wts w00t w00t
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »
Super write up Greg....and some hoo for the grill t^

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
Nice trip Greg t^

New meaning of "Hooville" pawle
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »
Very cool Greg!  Great report.  clp I hope to catch one of those wahoo some day. t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
Very good report Greg, very exciting. Thankyou.  chrz. Fine pics too
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
Thanks for the report! Great trip.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 11:30:04 PM »
I will say he got the best of my reel though, makes a horrible sound with the clicker on now.

Greg,
Bring it with you Tuesday and I'll take a look at it.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
Great reporing, Greg.   chrz chrz
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »
Hoos your daddy?

clp  slt  chrz

Good trip
Nice report

Offline huntNreel

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
 smk You forgot the part where you tossed the chunking spoon over board!! fcp rofla rofla

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
smk You forgot the part where you tossed the chunking spoon over board!! fcp rofla rofla

Ya, I did sorta forget that part didn't I,,,,

Add one soup spoon/ ladle/ chunking scooper to the depths of the baltimore canyon. I'm willing to bet that its not the only one out there either.

Welcome to the site,, must be Kevin, cause I think Phil was asleep at the time.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »
rofla smk wa

Offline HOokiN

• Master Kitchens & Baths
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Very Cool!   clp
Grady White 20' Over-Nighter -
H o O K i N ! /  2012 Chevy Silverado Duramax -

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-