Author Topic: Question about engine knock  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Question about engine knock
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
I have an older 1985 Mercury 2 stroke 115 O/B.  I dropped the boat off to the nearest boat service center (not going to name names) for spring service before getting out on the water this year.  I normally use a traveling boat mechanic (again, not naming names), but my last trip out for Stripers last year resulted in my engine bogging down on me quite a bit and even stalled on me.  I got back to the dock, trailered it home and realized when I got home that stupid me forgot to replace the fuel water seperator recently and had a good deal of water in it (damn ethanol!!!!).  I replaced it and the boat ran fine on muffs at home so I completely winterized it.  I wanted to be sure that everything was looked over thoroughly this year so I opted to use the expensive, huge service center here as opposed to the traveling service guy thinking they had better equipment/knowledge to fix it. 

The mechanic told me that the engine seemed ok, but he did hear a bit of a knock in one of the cylinders.  He said he didn't want to go too deep into the engine since it could get costly and maybe not worthwhile on an engine that old, then started recommending I might want to consider buying a new engine or boat soon. 

What's your thoughts on this?  Prior to the last trip the engine ran fine and he said it ran fine for him as well, just didn't want to go digging too deep in an engine that old. 

My question is could the engine knock have caused the engine to bog down under a load, and if so is there anything I can do to remedy the situation short of his recommendation to buy one of the lovely new boats on his lot (It's a boat dealer as well). 

Anyway I replaced it and the boat ran fine on muffs at home so I completely winterized
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Question about engine knock
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
I ran my 115 Evenrude for a full season with half a piston ;D  I didn't know it until I did a compression test..and found a low cylinder..

If you lose a rod....this will be the death of the Motor..

I would Call Matt from Task Marine..

Or if you have Seatow or BOat USA..  run her till she blows ;D

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
I ran my 115 Evenrude for a full season with half a piston ;D  I didn't know it until I did a compression test..and found a low cylinder..

If you lose a rod....this will be the death of the Motor..

I would Call Matt from Task Marine..

Or if you have Seatow or BOat USA..  run her till she blows ;D

I have Boat US unlimited towing and trailer service.  Wouldn't dare go out without it.  It was described as a "small knock".  The service center has been extremely busy.  It sat on their lot for 3 weeks before they even looked at it.  I just kind of got the feeling they didn't feel like going too in depth on mine because of how backed up they are with jobs and how old the engine is.  I've seen Matt's info listed but he's a hell of a long way from me (I'm in Bridgewater).  Not sure if it's practical for me to tow it all the way down to him.  

I was basically told other than the small knock the engine looked good and to just try and burn off the existing gas or replace it.  I have no idea where to get rid of 30 gallons of gas so I'll just not go WOT and keep a close eye on the fule water seperator..........and pray ahaha!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:32:11 PM by Andys Delight »

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
I would do a compression check and see if all ok,here's a link to a site I found helpful,go there and register and pose your question,and if your boat is sitting at a shop that starts with an L,I'd get it out of there, a few years ago mine spent a month there,costly repair as to there reccomendation and never fixed the problem and myself found a cylinder down and replaced motor.http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I would do a compression check and see if all ok,here's a link to a site I found helpful,go there and register and pose your question,and if your boat is sitting at a shop that starts with an L,I'd get it out of there, a few years ago mine spent a month there,costly repair as to there reccomendation and never fixed the problem and myself found a cylinder down and replaced motor.http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Thanks kezsr, definitely does not start with an L.  I'll check out the site and see what I can find.  I'm headed over now to pick it up. 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »
I would do the Compression test..  Then do a Decarb..   Or just do the decarb.. 

and remember 1 Thing!.  2 stokes live for WOT. 

When ever possible.. push the throttle down and let her scream t^

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »
Got it back and spoke alot more in depth with the service manager.  I definitely was put a little more at ease.  They ran a compression check on it, it came back 125, 100, 125, 125.  The knock was coming from cylinder 2 but was not dramatic.  He said it could even go away once I burn through the fuel.  He also said run it at WOT as much as possible (thanks Rod  chrz ) and get it good and hot.  He basically said he didn't want to go tearing into an old engine and cost me thousands when the problem could just have been the fuel.  He gave me the company line that "old engines could blow any day" but then said he felt with the proper maintenance and care I could probably get another 5 years out of it. 

She splashes on Thursday  t^

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Can  I assume that the knocking from cyl. 2 was the one with 100 lbs. compression as opposed to the others at 125 lbs.? 
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:24 PM »
Can  I assume that the knocking from cyl. 2 was the one with 100 lbs. compression as opposed to the others at 125 lbs.? 

Yes it was.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
Decard t^  Yea..  the 100 isn't good.. but could just be a stuck ring..  Decarb can re that up.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »
Decard t^  Yea..  the 100 isn't good.. but could just be a stuck ring..  Decarb can re that up.

Exactly what I was thinking of trying.  Hopefully this rain quits for a little while.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
Dont forget to use STABIL ethanol treatment or a similiar product.  One 32oz bottle will treat 320 gallons. You may be able to siphon some fuel off the bottom of the gas tank with a hose and check it for water or contaniments in a clear container.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
Here's something interesting-Went to the shop to pick up some Yamaha Ring Free today and happened to run into the mechanic.  He adamantly said not to use ring free or decarb at all.  He said the carbon buildup in an engine as old as mine might actually be contributing to keeping the PSI up as high as it is right now, that loosening up the carbon might actually drop the pressure and potentially kill the engine.  I've never heard of such a thing and now I'm left  :headscra:

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
Yea.. well.. I guess anything is possible.. but Carbon holding the engine together..  sounds a little tough to believe..

You looking to burn off carbon that could be sticking the rings.  I don't think the Decard is going to take all the carbon off the top of the piston.. nts   5hrug  But.. what do I know.. ;D

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
Yesterday I felt a little better after meeting with the mechanic there and having him explain in detail what he found with my engine.  Now I'm back to being skeptical.  I have never heard decarbing being a bad thing, especially when one cylinder is low.   :headscra:

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
I would just run it... and Fish t^

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 07:35:14 AM »
I would just run it... and Fish t^
She gets wet tomorrow, wish me luck.   chrz

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »
i heard the same thing about the decarb cleaners...if your rings are worn down,the carb build up could possibly be giving you the compression...clean those off and you left with no pressure....thats what i was told and im sticking with it!  rofla
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
Well, now she ain't getting wet till Friday.  Then the fun begins.  Let you guys know how it goes.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-