Author Topic: A potentially stupid question regarding battery/outboards  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
A potentially stupid question regarding battery/outboards
« on: May 29, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »
When I purchased my baot, there was only one battery with both the engine and all electronics hooked up to it.  Me being anal, I added a second deep cell marine battery and dedicate it for my electronics.  I don't like the idea of my main starting battery being drained by electronics. 

Anyway, I recharge them both each time before I go out.  The starting battery comes up fully charged within 30 seconds while the deep cell usually takes 2-4 hours to fully charge.  My potentially stupid question is-does my outboard have some sort of generator/alternator that is recharging the engine battery?  I can't believe the main battery come up fully charged in 30 seconds every time.  I probably start the engine at least 10-20 times while out on the water to position and reposition in a drift.  Does starting the engine require such little power? 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
Re: A potentially stupid question regarding battery/outboards
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »
Yes outboards have a stater which is the alternator which charges your battery you should also connect the neg to neg so the batterys will both charge while your running and also get an isolator which wont let one battery drain from the other
Tight Lines and Screaming reels

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
Yes outboards have a stater which is the alternator which charges your battery you should also connect the neg to neg so the batterys will both charge while your running and also get an isolator which wont let one battery drain from the other

Wow, I honestly never knew that!  That makes things alot more convenient.  Thanks  TT^

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
Battery Switch? Have one?  if not, you need to install one. Blue Seas are one of the best. What kind of O/B do you have? Year? HP? Make? Some outboards like Hondas have a Alternator like your vehicle. Put out some good amps even at idle. Older 2 strokes need to have those rpm's up to put out there amps.
Battery's: Starting type are designed to re-charge fast.
Deep Cycle: They are designed to be drawn down and re-charged. I can't believe how many boats I work on that have one battery have a deep cycle.
No questions are stupid. If you don't ask you don't learn.
Reading material, forums, blogs, Owners and Service Manuals in particular, they all have good info.
Enjoy this beautiful Memoriual Day weekend and keep Safety in mind. Many others don't.
Capt.Matt

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »
Battery Switch? Have one?  if not, you need to install one. Blue Seas are one of the best. What kind of O/B do you have? Year? HP? Make? Some outboards like Hondas have a Alternator like your vehicle. Put out some good amps even at idle. Older 2 strokes need to have those rpm's up to put out there amps.
Battery's: Starting type are designed to re-charge fast.
Deep Cycle: They are designed to be drawn down and re-charged. I can't believe how many boats I work on that have one battery have a deep cycle.
No questions are stupid. If you don't ask you don't learn.
Reading material, forums, blogs, Owners and Service Manuals in particular, they all have good info.
Enjoy this beautiful Memoriual Day weekend and keep Safety in mind. Many others don't.
Capt.Matt

No switch yet, will definitely look to add one in.  I have a 1997 Johnson 130.  Thanks Matt!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-