Author Topic: Not a good night for Andy's Delight  (Read 11927 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Not a good night for Andy's Delight
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:32:56 AM »
I took some friends out for a night cruise and some dinner.  On our way back from Highlands back to keyport I suddenly lost power and the engine cut when I throttled back.  I opened the cowling only to see that the oil reserve was dry.  I did not get any alarm at all until I pulled the cowling after the a]engine was cut, but it was bone dry in the oil reserve tank on the engine.  I ended up getting towed in because I didn't want to do any damage to the engine even though I had oil and filled the reserve tank.  I guess the float alarm didn't drop or was stuck and didn't set off the alarm when the level was low.  When I finally got back to the dock I tired to start and it fired right up, but it was acting like it was in a safe mode even though the engine was cool.  Even when the issue first arose the engine did not feel hot to the touch on any cylinder, but definitely warmer than it should be.  I am going to try and see if it will start and run smooth tomorrow, but is there a chance it's stuck in "safe" mode, or am I looking at something catastophic?
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: Not a good night for Andy's Delight
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
Hope its just a minor problem and nothing to bad. We always fill the oil up b4 we head out and check it ever so often while were out there. Good luck to you capt. and sorry to hear this!
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
Wow, Sorry to hear about your problem. The first thing I would do is perform a compression check.  I would be checking for one of the Cylinders or maybe 2 having lower compression than the others.  In my limited experience it usually is the top cyls. that usually lean out first. find out what the specs for your engine should be also take in consideration the age of the engine.  But in any event all cyl. should be fairly equal in readings.
 After that is performed and proved to be within limits, I would definitely  be troubleshooting the oil injection  delivery system.  Maybe the main tank pump.  Good Luck
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
 whs

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
good luck with the diagnosis if you ever need anything im right across the street from you at KMB
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:36:11 AM »
Hope all is OK and you are good to go. t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:43:41 AM »
Lets hope is a quick fix and back to fishing.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
Good luck with the engine problem, I hope it's not anything major and your back out on the water soon. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »
Not looking good fellas.  Went down this morning, she starts right up and will rev, but she clearly isn't running right and stalls all the time.  I have a feeling I dropped a cylinder or worse.  Marina pulled it and will diagnose.  Probably looking at a new powerhead at the least.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
Hope it works out for you Mike
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
Hope it works out for you Mike

I screwed up Rick.  I filled the reserve tank a few trips prior and just thought I had plenty of oil.  It was bone dry in both tanks and it looks like the float in the portside engine tank got stuck, so the alarm never went off.  We were heading for a night trip and dinner in the highlands, no fishing just cruising.  I even thought to myself before we left to check the oil, but it was hectic and we were running a little late, so I wanted to get going and I had assumed in my mind that we had plenty.  I had a full 4 quart container onboard that I could have easily filled the reserve.  I'm just so bummed and disappointed in myself.  The engine had been running so well and I think I killed it.   rgmn rgmn

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
Sucks...

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
Just want to state for the record since most of you know I bought this boat from Rick (Still Running).  This engine was solid and running great for all the time I owned it.  The boat is and has been fantastic for me.  This happened due to my own negligence, nothing more.  Had I checked the oil I am sure I would be running great all season.  Rick sold me the boat at a great price and I would buy another from him in a heartbeat.  I just don't want anyone to think for a second there was something wrong with it and make sure the record is straight.  I love this boat, I just made a big mistake in not checking the oil as I should have. 

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
Just want to state for the record since most of you know I bought this boat from Rick (Still Running).  This engine was solid and running great for all the time I owned it.  The boat is and has been fantastic for me.  This happened due to my own negligence, nothing more.  Had I checked the oil I am sure I would be running great all season.  Rick sold me the boat at a great price and I would buy another from him in a heartbeat.  I just don't want anyone to think for a second there was something wrong with it and make sure the record is straight.  I love this boat, I just made a big mistake in not checking the oil as I should have. 

Thats comendable...... slt

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
That sucks bro. Hope you get this fixed soon and get back out there...........

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
Mike,
I will be back to work on Tuesday give me a call if you want me to look into a power head for you. My offer still stands for you or anyone else on the site that I will get it at cost. I know it doesn't help much, hope it would help
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
Mike,
I will be back to work on Tuesday give me a call if you want me to look into a power head for you. My offer still stands for you or anyone else on the site that I will get it at cost. I know it doesn't help much, hope it would help

I appreciate it Rick!  I will definitely call you, I wanna weigh all option of a powerhead vs repowering with something newer.  I definitely wanna get her back in the water fast. 

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
If you do go with another 2 stroke, I would recommend mixing the oil and fuel. Thus eliminating any future problems. I've had several issues with losing oil and since I did this all has been well. Just sucks.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
That sucks bro. Hope you get this fixed soon and get back out there...........

whs

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »
What make,year and hp is your motor/motors? May have good used available.
Capt.Matt

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-