Author Topic: Battery Compartment Flooding  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Battery Compartment Flooding
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
once your engines start and if you can get on plain, your safe.  If  you can reach the plug,  you can unplug it while running and all the water will drain.  Just remember to put the plug back in before you stop the boat.  I only had to go from the tip of the hook to Atlantic Highlands, approx 10 minutes.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »
Hi Paul,

I didn't run directly to the dock. I took care of getting the water out of the boat as  quickly as possible about 100 yards off the beach but heading to the Manasquan Inlet. It took the pumps 5 minutes to clear the water and we were good to go.

Once all the water was cleared I was no longer worried about starting the engine as I have a third battery (starting battery) under the center console that I can connect.

The big issue is to get the water out of the compartments and let the hull design "self bailing hull) do its job.

We knew we were alright as the boat accelerated because no water was coming in and the pumps and the scuppers were working. You could notice it was working because as the water cleared out, the boat accelerated more and more.

My initial concern was getting it started ... at that point the batteries were still above water ... my batteries were under water when I initially started moving and the water sloshed around.

I now have a 2000 gph main pump and 1100 gph secondaries. No messing around this time.

Ed
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:05:24 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »
Mboy,

Be a bit careful about the specs. I will post some info afterwards.

I use Group 27 batteries so the specs on the Optima Blue look good for size and performance. The Group 24 replacement didn't make sense in the AH (amp hours) and RC( reserve charge) specs.

I am clarifying that now.

Also, I had to install new hold downs. The batteries are an odd size. No big deal but some work that I didn't expect.

Ed

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 09:35:19 PM »
 what was involved with the high water alarm?  i'm thinking its a well worth investment i should do.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 11:09:36 PM »
Hi Reel,

I added another floating switch in an area that if it got water, I really wanted to know and a buzzer. I had a buzzerr laying around from an engine I helped rebuild.

You could hook it up to your main float switch but that was not of interest to me (that would be normal for that switch to engage and clear water). It is more intersting to know that water is getting to places that it never has or should never get to.

So, I added anthor Rule float switch for $25; 2 stainless screws for the float switch and buzzer to be mounted; short length of marine grade wire; some wire connectors; and a buzzer.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 05:49:18 AM »
the buzzer sounds like a good idea, it would have made me more aware and sooner.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-